First Time Solo elk hunt in Utah!!

Advice Require for First Time Solo elk hunt in Utah!!

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Utah next year, we are planning to buy an archery any elk tag and head to Utah.
By my research, I saw that Monroe Peak is a pretty good place, but I decided to give the forum a shot since I figure people that have been to Utah and hunted there will have a better advice than Google maps. I am looking to hike pretty far and setting up camp. we are bringing an ATV to help us carry the weight. so we are looking for any advice out there. where to go? when to go? places that are remote enough, with a better opportunity? we are fro VA so it'll be a haul to get there and we are looking for advice from fellow hunters.

Thank you, guys!!

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Utah is split into any bull and spike only units and with archery you can also use the tag for a cow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
yeah we saw that and thats what we are looking for, any bulll and cow.
Monroe is a spike only (limited entry) unit. You could tag a spike or cow.

What are your overall goals of the trip? Do you want to see elk or do you have to fill a tag?

Limited entry units on a GS tag will allow you to see and hear big bulls with the potential to fill your freezer. It is a shorter hunt by 1 week vs any bull units. And keep in mind that people hunting bulls have waited 15+ years to draw that tag so be respectful of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
A
Monroe is a spike only (limited entry) unit. You could tag a spike or cow.

What are your overall goals of the trip? Do you want to see elk or do you have to fill a tag?

Limited entry units on a GS tag will allow you to see and hear big bulls with the potential to fill your freezer. It is a shorter hunt by 1 week vs any bull units. And keep in mind that people hunting bulls have waited 15+ years to draw that tag so be respectful of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. We really like to fill a tag. But a bull would be nice. Yes t doesn’t matter how big or small it is. We are traveling about 32 hrs we would like some meat so anything is better.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Colorado will offer more opportunity to kill a bull. Some awesome elk hunting in Utah but for the bulk of it you must be content with a spike or cow.
Monroe is considered by some the best unit in the state just as FYI

OP
A
Colorado will offer more opportunity to kill a bull. Some awesome elk hunting in Utah but for the bulk of it you must be content with a spike or cow.
Monroe is considered by some the best unit in the state just as FYI

Thank you I appreciate the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk