Could use a Elk Hunting partner - Thinking DIY Utah, Any bull, any weapon Oct-6-18.

Hi,

I'm retired and I live in NC and I feel it would be advantagous to have a hunting partner this Elk season. So far I'm not having any luck yet locally finding a partner thus my post. I haven't purchased a tag/permit yet so I can be flexible on the where and when so long as tags can still be purchased at this late date. I have tents, camping gear, hunting gear, rifle, spotting scopes, rangefiners etc and a reliable 4WD Toyota truck. I'm an ex Marine, fairly fit, a lifemember of the RMEF and a member of the American Legion. Being retired, I have the time to pre scout and can hunt the whole 12 days if necessary. I could even possibly arrange to pick up your gear in route and pick you up at a local airport if you prefer to fly in or I can meet you along the way and we can drive your vehicle or mine.
I have no expeirence hunting Utah but I have hunted Elk in Colorado and Idaho so I do have some experience. My main reason for considering Utah is that it looks as good as any of my other options and tags/permits that are still available.
Also in Utah I believe if I hunt certain units and buy a bull tag I can also purchase a cow tag which I would likely do to up my odds of success. I don't have an ATV but don't mind backpacking in a number of miles in order to be closer to the elk and away from the crowds.

muddydogs

WKR
Utah cow tags are a draw deal that's long over this year. Depending on the unit a NR can draw a cow tag with a point or two, the unit I hunt didn't have any NR apply for 2 of the cow seasons last year so they could be had with 0 points. Also in Utah if you have a buck or bull tag in the same unit as your cow tag you can hunt the cow during your buck and or bull season so cow season dates don't matter to much.
Be prepared for lots of hunting pressure during the rifle bull season in Utah in any unit and no matter how far you hike in. It gets hard to find a camp site in most areas if your not there the weekend before the season opens.

OP
Roughwater
Thanks muddydogs,

You say: "Also in Utah if you have a buck or bull tag in the same unit as your cow tag you can hunt the cow during your buck and or bull season so cow season dates don't matter to much. " End quote.

I'm thinking if I buy a Bull elk, Any Elk Permit and want to hunt cow elk in a unit that I'm hunting bull Elk in that has a designated antlerless Elk control area within that "any bull" unit I can still purchase a Antlerless control Elk tag and hunt that part of the unit for Cow Elk. Or am I wrong?

Here is what I cut and pasted from the Utah Wildlife resources web site:
If you obtained a permit (including general season) to harvest a buck, bull or once-in-a-lifetime species on any of the listed units (not including CWMUs), you have the option of purchasing an antlerless elk-control permit.

The antlerless elk-control permit allows you to harvest an antlerless elk in the same unit where you’ll already be hunting an antlered big game animal. Antlerless elk-control permits are not valid statewide. Please verify all hunt boundaries before heading into the field. You may hunt the antlerless elk only during the season dates—and with the same weapon—listed on your buck, bull or once-in-a-lifetime permit.

Last edited:

muddydogs

WKR
Yep your right, the control hunt has some different rules over the general season antler-less.

OP
Roughwater
Just an FYI - If you are thinking to buy a Utah Any bull tag I was just told there are only 500 left. Maybe 499 cause I will probably by mine this evening on line.

OP
Roughwater
Just an FYI - If you are thinking to buy a Utah Any bull tag I was just told there are only 500 left. Maybe 499 cause I will probably by mine this evening on line.

First I want to note that I'm still looking for a hunting partner but now since I bought my Utah "Any Bull" any weapon permit I am now definitely commited to hunting Utah and hunting dates are Oct 6-18th. I haven't selected a unit yet so I am somewhat negotiable on that matter however I also bought a Antlerless permit too which is only good in certain Any bull units so I would prefer to hunt one of those units.

Mattjwags

FNG
First I want to note that I'm still looking for a hunting partner but now since I bought my Utah "Any Bull" any weapon permit I am now definitely commited to hunting Utah and hunting dates are Oct 6-18th. I haven't selected a unit yet so I am somewhat negotiable on that matter however I also bought a Antlerless permit too which is only good in certain Any bull units so I would prefer to hunt one of those units.

My man, I live in Utah and hunt the North and south slope. Ive only been hunting for 3 years now so I'm still a little green. But I'm all for throwing on a pack and hiking or doing whatever. I have a otc any bull tag any weapon. Ive been scouting out there all summer and have trail cams up. I'm headed out there this weekend for opening archery. Get ahold of me and regardless of if I get something by rifle season or not I could plan on going with you for a few days. Give you the knowledge ive gotten from scouting and lay of the land and maybe I can pick up some knowledge from you. Id love to help anyway I can. Mattjwags@hotmail

OP
Roughwater
Sounds real good to me. That thread you replied to was from 2018 and I have a partner this year and have a anybull tag again this year and still interested in your offer if you are?

Mattjwags

FNG
Sounds real good to me. That thread you replied to was from 2018 and I have a partner this year and have a anybull tag again this year and still interested in your offer if you are?

I didnt even realize that was from 2018. If your coming back out for 2019 I would still love to help anyway I can. Feel free to email,me [email protected] or shoot me a direct message and we can exchange numbers. I just joined this site so it wont let me send direct messages yet. But like I said I would be more then willing to help.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hi,

I'm retired and I live in NC and I feel it would be advantagous to have a hunting partner this Elk season. So far I'm not having any luck yet locally finding a partner thus my post. I haven't purchased a tag/permit yet so I can be flexible on the where and when so long as tags can still be purchased at this late date. I have tents, camping gear, hunting gear, rifle, spotting scopes, rangefiners etc and a reliable 4WD Toyota truck. I'm an ex Marine, fairly fit, a lifemember of the RMEF and a member of the American Legion. Being retired, I have the time to pre scout and can hunt the whole 12 days if necessary. I could even possibly arrange to pick up your gear in route and pick you up at a local airport if you prefer to fly in or I can meet you along the way and we can drive your vehicle or mine.
I have no expeirence hunting Utah but I have hunted Elk in Colorado and Idaho so I do have some experience. My main reason for considering Utah is that it looks as good as any of my other options and tags/permits that are still available.
Also in Utah I believe if I hunt certain units and buy a bull tag I can also purchase a cow tag which I would likely do to up my odds of success. I don't have an ATV but don't mind backpacking in a number of miles in order to be closer to the elk and away from the crowds.
Good luck in Utah, but there's no such thing as an ex Marine. Semper Fi.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk