trail ?'s

bwlacy

WKR
There is a marked trail that I want to use to gain elevation. Once at the top we can go in a few directions to access several drainages. All the trail maps have it as difficult. It's a 3000 foot elevation gain from 9k to 12k, they say 4 hours, and it's 4 miles to the top. For a flat lander that is 48 and in ok shape carrying a 70 lb pack should I plan on double that time, or do it in 2 days and only gain half the elevation per day? I don't want to be fried and not be able to hunt a couple of days once we are up there. We should arrive at the trail head on the 9th and don't really have to come down until the 21st. We've hunted the area before and are well aware of the terrain.

gelton

WKR
If it were me I would lighten the pack a bit. If I had to guess the major weight penalty is due to 14 days worth of food. I used to pack into areas for 14 days straight and would stay there whether I was seeing Elk or not. This proved to be a very ineffective strategy for me.

From now on I will never hike into an area with more than 4 days of food. By then if I haven't seen elk or had any opportunities then I am moving to a totally different area (not a different drainage). If I am and just havent connected I can hike out to resupply.

4 days worth of food vs 14 days worth of food would have to save you at least 15lbs I am guessing.

The light finally turned on for me last year when we decided to be mobile and tried two different places each a 45 minute drive from our hunting spot in order to connect on a bull. Which we finally did.

If you are seeing and getting into elk, drop down and restock your food and climb back up with a 20lb pack instead of a 70lb pack. Thats just me though, however, I wouldn't waste two days of hunting to get to the top ever. I would start early, take a two hour break at lunch and finish the same day.

Also - everyone wants to get to the top, IME the elk often go lower and use canyons as escape routes from all the hunters headed to the top. Sometimes you can use that to your advantage.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Yes there is a weight penalty for the amount of food, also my sleep system isn't very light and it wasn't in the budget this year to get new stuff. The only reason I want to get to the top is to have better access to different drainages, and we can hunt down. We have discussed only taking 4 or 5 days of food.

I don't want to waste time to get to hunting either, but I don't want to be shot by the time we set up camp. Dropping some weight would help a lot probably though.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Way to heavy of a pack for that steep of trail at that elevation.
Is there water along the trail? How bout when you get to your camp? Water is heavy heavy heavy so the less you have to carry the better.
If there is water you can take your time and carry a only a quart and get there when you get there.
If not you kind of have to make the whole thing in a day.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
3000' in 4 miles is pretty steep, with a 70 lb pack it will be doubly so. If you are packing 14 days of food, I would definitely ditch that idea as suggested above - ~ 1.5-2 lbs of food a day adds up quickly.

When you do the climb, just take your time- take some short breaks, consume some calories and stay hydrated- you'll make it :)

If you're carrying trekking poles (and with a heavy pack I certainly would be), shorten them for steep uphills (lengthen for downs)

xziang

WKR
70lbs would suck. However on the plus side you are on trail and not having to bushwhack. I would make it in one day anyway possible. If you need to just sleep in the next day and glass. If you know the area and have good luck there go for it. However i am like the above people much easier to go in light for a couple days and if it is excellent hike back and get supplies with a very light pack. :)

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Yes I'll have trekking poles, plenty of water there in the past so no need to carry a lot. We will discuss taking less food and maybe plan for 4 or 5 days at a time. Probably would be a good idea, if we aren't into the elk in that amount of time we should be moving anyway.