Sidearms in Colorado

I called the Colorado State Parks & Wildlife about the carrying (not use) of a sidearm by CCW permit holders during archery season and their response was somewhat confusing. The gal was unsure if CCW Permit holders were excluded but then said Colorado was an open carry state and that it was okay to wear a sidearm that way and just to notify any Game Warden or other LEO of the fact I was armed if they approached me in the field. I have been carrying a pistol for personal protection for so long I feel naked without it and I have found it handy to have in the field. I was once charged by a steer and a couple shots into the ground convinced the bull to change direction. I don’t much worry about mountain lions, bears and such but cattle I am wary of. Years of ADC work on ranches has given me a healthy respect for the “personalities” of domestic livestock. Been forced up trees and power towers a few times over the years, cattle don’t like me or my FoxPro for some reason. So while I have no intention of using my sidearm (ever) I do prefer to carry it. Any Colorado CCW or open carry guys here?

Ironman8

WKR
I know for sure that if your state has ccl reciprocity with CO, then you’re good to go for CCW as long as you abide by CO rules (which I think means 15rd mags)

My understanding of public land, and National Forrest/Parks, is that they fall under state law as well.

atenjones

FNG
You’re good to go according to the CPW FAQ. In fact, if I’m reading this right, you don’t even need a permit to carry concealed if you’re hunting. But you CANNOT use the gun to finish off an animal you shot with a bow.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

However, one thing to think about - make sure you are kosher for transporting it through every single state you drive through to get to Colorado. I’ve heard horror stories of people driving through strict states with their hiring rifles not properly stored. Not a fun time.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
You’re good to go according to the CPW FAQ. In fact, if I’m reading this right, you don’t even need a permit to carry concealed if you’re hunting. But you CANNOT use the gun to finish off an animal you shot with a bow.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

However, one thing to think about - make sure you are kosher for transporting it through every single state you drive through to get to Colorado. I’ve heard horror stories of people driving through strict states with their hiring rifles not properly stored. Not a fun time.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...i've read the same stories from libtard states. No conflicts there. Thanks guys.

Dukejb

FNG
Be very careful if you stop in Denver or Boulder. Most of CO is very gun friendly, but in those two locations you’re not supposed to even print at all. When I had my appointment with the sheriff’s office in Colorado Springs, I asked what the deal was with carrying in Denver and Boulder, and the lady’s response was basically “they’re nuts up there.”

ericF

WKR
I know for sure that if your state has ccl reciprocity with CO, then you’re good to go for CCW as long as you abide by CO rules (which I think means 15rd mags)

My understanding of public land, and National Forrest/Parks, is that they fall under state law as well.

The 15 mag limit is only for magazines that were purchased after July 2013 and all magazines are grandfathered in. So basically if you already owned the magazine you are good to go. In addition, nobody cares about the limit and alot of local gun shops openly sell magazines >15 rounds.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In fact, if I’m reading this right, you don’t even need a permit to carry concealed if you’re hunting.

You need a permit to conceal a firearm in Colorado, the "coat tail rule" applies, 50% of the weapon must be visible or its considered concealed thus if a coat tail is covering your firearm it is concealed according to the law and that requires a permit regardless of the activity you are engaging in. There is no recreation exemption, I looked into this when I moved here, thus to even carry a pistol in my pack legally it required a CCW permit.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Be very careful if you stop in Denver or Boulder. Most of CO is very gun friendly, but in those two locations you’re not supposed to even print at all. When I had my appointment with the sheriff’s office in Colorado Springs, I asked what the deal was with carrying in Denver and Boulder, and the lady’s response was basically “they’re nuts up there.”

You can concealed carry in both cities. Denver has a ban against open carrying. Off hand I'm not positive Boulder has a ban on open carrying but they did recently pass city ordinances on magazines and "assault rifles" but they really only apply to the residents inside the city limits. Anyone else can freely transport anything that is banned in the city in their private vehicle regardless of the duration and stops within the city. Their new magazine restrictions don't apply to pistol calibers. Honestly I don't know how a non-resident with a 15+ rd mag concealed carrying falls under the application of the laws but realistically if you have a decent caliber for wilderness protection you're likely at 15rd or less in the mag anyways.

Ironman8

WKR
The 15 mag limit is only for magazines that were purchased after July 2013 and all magazines are grandfathered in. So basically if you already owned the magazine you are good to go.

This was actually what the “I think” part was about in my answer. Thought there was something about grandfathered mags.

In addition, nobody cares about the limit and alot of local gun shops openly sell magazines >15 rounds.

Freaking LOVE this!

Yeah, not so much...
Just took my classes this pass winter taught by an Aurora cop and got my CCW permit though the Boulder Sheriffs office and there was not one discussion about extra precautions or measures for carrying concealed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Bruce,

California and Colorado are NOT reciprocal states. So if you have a carry permit from CA it isn't good here. However, CO is an "open carry" state. I always openly carry when hunting. My G20 is always there on my hip, and I frequently don't even notice that it's there most the time.