First Colorado Elk/camping trip mid October

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all.
I’m new to the forum but long time hunter. Hunt mainly whitetail deer in Indiana. 99% of time is stand hunting. I am going on my first elk hunt in CO during mid October. I’m going with 3 guys who have been there before, but only for now season. I have a lot of clothes, but mostly heavy weight for stand hunting. Looking for some help. I am doing this on a budget since this is a diy hunt. I don’t mind but used clothes, gear, boots, etc.

What gear is needed for this time of year?
Clothes? I don’t think I can do the $100/piece stuff.
Hunting boots? Cabela’s has some on sale now. I have all rubber mucks.

Thanks all

ElkNut1

WKR
Talk with the guys you're going with & get their recommendations since they've hunted there before!

ElkNut/Paul

aaro9991

FNG
The Meindl by Cabela’s are good boots. A little heavy but I believe that they make ultralight boots as well. As far as clothes, I would honestly keep an eye out for a lot that someone is getting rid of on here or archery talk. I know that the pressure is on with only a month and a half to go before you’ll be here in Colorado but that’s where I would start for good deals. Also, I know it’s not quite as trustworthy but check out eBay for big set of clothes as well! I got all ridge reaper forest set on here for a couple hundred bucks! Just have to find the deals in your size. If not, I would recommend some good hiking pants, a puffy, and a sweatshirt. October could still be fairly warm depending on where you’re at. It doesn’t have to be camo either...but definitely spend your money on good boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all.
I’m new to the forum but long time hunter. Hunt mainly whitetail deer in Indiana. 99% of time is stand hunting. I am going on my first elk hunt in CO during mid October. I’m going with 3 guys who have been there before, but only for now season. I have a lot of clothes, but mostly heavy weight for stand hunting. Looking for some help. I am doing this on a budget since this is a diy hunt. I don’t mind but used clothes, gear, boots, etc.

What gear is needed for this time of year?
Clothes? I don’t think I can do the $100/piece stuff.
Hunting boots? Cabela’s has some on sale now. I have all rubber mucks.

Thanks all

I’m in your boat as well. What I have gathered from this site and others is that you will NEED good boots. I purchased a pair of Cabela’s Ultralight Meindels. I love them. I would recommend getting a stiffer insole to replace the stock ones.

If your budget allows, id get some merino wool base layers. I got First Lite Aerowoolamd have been very pleased with it. Ive used both top and bottoms here in SC this summer on 100 degree plus heat index days and stayed remarkably cool and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catahoula

WKR
I’d say YES to chatting with your hunt party about gear they have used in the past. It will likely be cold here at that time but sometimes not. I’d plus plus on a good pair of medium to firm stiffness boots. Personally in my household we are wearing Kenetreks and Crispi’s. Expensive but in the end worth it. Sturdy comfy boots are a great investment for your feet. Also, merino base layers are the only choice imo. Best of luck to you!

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, my hunting party are good friends of mine and we chat daily. But they all have no experience for this time of year. I think we are going to try and hit unit 42. They are familiar with the unit, but also looking at a couple more if it is all tied up.

Camping-
We have just a normal camping tent, no stove. Just propane heaters and good sleeping bags.

Boots- Looking to spend around $100. This is my first trip and not sure when my next will be. So want something I can use back in Indiana as well.

Base layers- I have a lot of Under Armor coldgear and Cabela's brand.

Pants- I have some old military ACU/BDU's so far.

Wapiti1

WKR
Fellow Hoosier, here. I shot you a PM. I'd be happy to walk you through what you'll need for the trip.

Boots are your first concern. I'd recommend Cabelas Outfitter, any of their Meindl made boots, Danner Pronghorn and Irish Setter Elk Trackers. All solid boots in the lower-mid price point. Best fit is what you are looking for, not which boot. 200-400grams of insulation.

The rest depends on whether or not you are in a trailer, a tent, hotels, etc. Backpacking is a different animal than day hunting from the truck.

Jeremy

How are you hunting. Run and gun go buy Meindl Denali $299, leupkotake for blisters. A good backpack for food, water blader a place to put extra clothes and stuff for getting a elk taken care of.
Spend the extra on boots, you don't need camouflage when your wearing orange.

CX5Ranch

WKR
Go drop 60 bucks on 3 pair of merino socks. You'll thank me later

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Im calling BS on high priced boots.

Been hunting all the seasons in Colorado for 30yrs and Ive never paid more than $150 for boots.
I wear an all leather, non-insulated boots with good merino socks thru my December hunts.
I put a couple hundred miles on my boots each fall.

Some decent wool layers will keep you warm and dry. Even your WT clothes will work
Have a daypack to put your layers in when warm.

After your first hunt is over, you can then decide if you want to upgrade gear.

OP
J

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Im calling BS on high priced boots.

Been hunting all the seasons in Colorado for 30yrs and Ive never paid more than $150 for boots.
I wear an all leather, non-insulated boots with good merino socks thru my December hunts.
I put a couple hundred miles on my boots each fall.

Some decent wool layers will keep you warm and dry. Even your WT clothes will work
Have a daypack to put your layers in when warm.

After your first hunt is over, you can then decide if you want to upgrade gear.

What boots you recommend? Again, I cannot spend too much, since I am buying other gear as well.

hobbes

WKR
I don't like big heavy or bulky coats, but instead prefer to layer. However, it all depends on how you are hunting. Is it backcountry hiking day in and day out or is it a nice truck camp with short hikes to stand hint parks.

Lots of hiking requires comfortable and supportive boots with minimal insulation and clothing layers that can be removed or added as needed.

Little hiking and lots of sitting requires more insulation in a boot and the bulky clothes won't be a problem.

You can get by without spending a fortune. A mid weight to heavy weight synthetic insulation layer from just about anywhere, followed by synthetic pants, a synthetic hoody, a vest, and a coat or jacket may be all you need. Merino wool is great but not a do or die material, just lose the cotton. Good socks, warm gloves, and warm hat. All depends on how cold or warm natured that you are. Id suspect that you can make your whitetail stuff work. Your boots may need changed if all you have are mucks. They may well turn your feet to burger if doing much mountaon hiking. Camo is completely optional.

As mentioned, talk to the guys that you are going with.

Btaylor

WKR
I am using the Irish Setter vaportreks and have had no issues with them at all. Heck my first elk hunt I wore my IS snake boots. Yes they were a little on the warm side but my feet made it just fine with no blisters or hot spots. If push came to shove, I would wear my alpha burly's but would want some leukotape on hand just in case. Fully intend to upgrade boots next year but you can make a hunt without high end boots, it just may not be as fun as when you go back with good boots.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I will 2nd cnelk. Get something that fits you well and you don't mind wearing 12 hours a day on your feet all day. I actually prefer a softer sole as it is a bit quieter and less clunky. I used goretex hiking shoes for many years that cost about $100 and they worked as well if not better then more expensive heavy duty boots I have used.The three of us that typically hunt together all wear light weight hiking shoes or mid height light weight hiking boots. I like goretex especially that time of year. If my feet are dry they are warm but if they get wet it is cold enough to make it miserable for me. I only like the mid height hiking shoes to prevent debris and stickers from getting in my shoes as much, but my dad wears a goretex trail running shoe that is going on year 3 or 4 and he loves them. We probably put on 7-10 miles a day. Sometimes in stuff you are hanging on to saplings and branches to keep from sliding down the hill.

That mid October time frame is what I hunted for the past 6 years from about 10-12k in elevation and I never wear anything insulated even with 6 inches of snow on the ground. I typically wear a good thick pair of merino socks and I usually carry an extra set to change them in the evening when it starts to cool down. I always sweat in them and my feet get cold the last hour or 2 if I don't change them.

It can be anywhere from pretty cold to pretty warm that time of year. I am typically in long sleeve all day. My morning is usually spent moving typically uphill in the morning so usually only a long sleeve in the morning with fleece or something similar over it. I also like to carry a light weight puffy for the evening when not moving as much. Sitka 90% pants were perfect for me this time of year. Enough warmth in the morning and evening without overheating too bad in the day.

hobbes

WKR
You may have to bump your boot budget up some. Ive ran boots as cheap as a basspro mid height hiker in bow season followed by Danner pronghorns. Neither will get much praise here, but they sufficed for the budget that I had at the time. I had good luck with the pronghorns and wore them for a while, but they do not have the ankle support I need now, especially with a heavy pack. Im currently running Kennetreks, but you probably dont want to increase your budget that much, they need more break in than the time you have, and are overkill for IN whitetail country.

A pair of pronghorns or something similar should suffice for a one time trip and they'll still work in Indiana whitetail country.

The Doob

FNG
I am going to side with the good/best boot you can afford crowd. I have always had flat lander boots -Danner's or Cabela's brand. However, when I went on a wilderness hunt in the Bob, the good folks on here convinced me to get "mountain" boots. I ended up with Kenetrek Mountain extremes, non-insulated and could not have been happier. My fellow flat landers were every night trying to get their boots next to the fire to dry them out and there was much consternation regarding their footwear choice. I, on the other hand, never had to worry about it. The much stiffer sides to the mountain boots (think ski boot) made side hilling much more comfortable and safer. It does take a while to break them in so if you go that route, get them soon so you can start hiking in them prior to your trip.

The other good advise I received was to take a clean pair of socks for every day that you are to be in the field - I did and I think it made a world of difference in my long term comfort and health of my feet.

overland

FNG
Camofire.com and huntoftheday.com are good sites to check out for clothes and the occasional boot. I have Danners and really like them. More than $100 but I found them on sale which made them $70 less then normal. It can get cold in Colorado in October. If you tend to get cold easily, I would recommend insulated boots. I'd rather be too warm than too cold. Have fun in Colorado!

muddydogs

WKR
The other good advise I received was to take a clean pair of socks for every day that you are to be in the field - I did and I think it made a world of difference in my long term comfort and health of my feet.

This right here is right on. A guy can live in the same underwear for 2 weeks but fresh socks are a must every morning. Bring enough or do a quick wash on a few pair every couple days.

Heck you don’t need much. It can literally be 5 degree though so think layers.

• Lightweight polypro or merino top & bottom
  • BDU or cargo pants
  • Shell pants - Army surplus or marmot precip
  • Shell jacket (surplus army goretex works fine or something lighter like marmot)
  • Fleece pullover
  • Down jacket
  • stocking hat
  • Balaclava
  • Neck warmer
  • 2 pair socks
  • 2 sock liners
  • Glove liners
  • Ski gloves for sitting
  • Lightweight gloves when you are walking
  • medium weight poly pro
  • Boots - I have lowas now but have used danners or Merrill’s too for years before.

I have boatloads of expensive camping crap now, but the first five elk hunts were done basically wearing my 1992 vintage army gear that I snagged when I left the service. By the way I still use the german army flek goretex stuff that you can get for $40.

Also gaiters are damn nice too so I will add that.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This right here is right on. A guy can live in the same underwear for 2 weeks but fresh socks are a must every morning. Bring enough or do a quick wash on a few pair every couple days.

I'll go a week straight wearing my poly liner socks and merino boots socks........even from base camp. No issues.