Impact on Elk from Rifle Deer Opener

Sturgeon

WKR
How much of an impact does an early rifle deer opener have on elk behavior? We are heading to a unit in Wyoming that has a Sept. 15th deer opener, so rifle deer will have been open for a week when we arrive. I've read a number of articles that once shots are fired, that elk are heading to much more remote hidey holes and that elk will change their behaviors quite a bit. The elk don't know that those shots aren't meant for them or at least they are not supposed to be, but I would think it will still have an effect. The rut should still be going on strong, but will this affect how vocal they are? Feel free to PM if you have suggestions or tactics you have used. Thank you.

Any hunting pressure will affect the behavior of elk ,it really depends on the geography of where you are going to hunt as well as the size of the herd ,the climate, meaning dryness water availability fires Etc

I would suspect the early hunting pressure to cause earlier and later movements of elk but I would also hope the rut activity would eliminate some of the Common Sense the elk would normally use

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It definitely affects them. I've experienced many times the deer opener preceding the elk opener in Western Wyoming and Eastern Idaho. The elk will not stop rutting, but they become much more wary and move close to places that resemble hell.