Already planning out 2014 Elk season.......

crumy

WKR
Ok.. I am not asking for you secret hunting spot or the lat/long of where you scored your bull but I am just asking for some general advice for 2014. I think I am going to try to venture outside of Wyoming in the 2014 season and was wondering what some decent parts of Colorado would be. Wouldn't mind to do it with archery but rifle is ok too.

I am going to look at harvest reports and stuff like that but figured some of you would be able to tell me what areas I would have a better chance at. I don't even know how the tag structure works in colorado yet... lottery/pref point, etc...so I might not even have a chance but figured I would start my research now... Only 11 months to go till elk season 2014.

Had a colorado tag once way back in 1995 when I lived in Ohio and hunted unit 25. That is my experience in Colorado.

I am up in Laramie, WY now , but have no problem driving and putting the time in the mountains.

You guys have any advice?

Craig4791

WKR
Not a Co guy but my .02

I'd pick the closest unit to you with decent populations and scout the chit out of it! I've done the whole stats and numbers stuff ...... Can't say it's ever really helped me that much. Spending time in the unit is what changes things IMO.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crumy your going to need some points to get into the same quality as a Wyoming general. I work with a bunch of guys from Laramie and spent some time hunting around there. you have some really good country to choose from close although the new regulations take away the late season. I understand wanting to hunt new country you might try and hunt a steep unit in Colorado alpine elk would be a change of pace

Funny I am debating where to go in WY next year. Have 1 under max points and could have a 100% draw on a lot of units just don't know what one.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
Been doing some reading... How hard is it to get an OTC tag in Colorado? Is archery easier to get that rifle? I like the fact that NM is completely random also. Things work out maybe I can figure out how to expand my hunting experience out West while I can.

a3dhunter

WKR
Been doing some reading... How hard is it to get an OTC tag in Colorado? Is archery easier to get that rifle? I like the fact that NM is completely random also. Things work out maybe I can figure out how to expand my hunting experience out West while I can.

OTC is over the counter, you walk into any license dealer(including walmart) and buy one when you get here. Not hard at all. Same thing for rifle or archery OTC.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
OTC is over the counter, you walk into any license dealer(including walmart) and buy one when you get here. Not hard at all. Same thing for rifle or archery OTC.

Thanks. For some reason i was thinking there was a limited number of them.