Utah Archery elk hunt

Anticipating drawing a 2016 Utah Manti Archery elk tag. I know I will not officially get the results until the end of May, however with 12 points, I feel 95% confident I will draw. Summer is by far my busiest time of year at work, so I do not want to wait until June before doing homework and research about this hunt. I am from Minnesota and will not have time to scout the area before season.

Wondering if there are any fellow hunters out there that have hunted the Manti that would be willing to share any information. Being in my late 50's, this will be my one and only hunt in Utah and I want to make the most of it. Any information would be appreciated. Area's to hunt, hunting pressure, terrain, weather, can these elk be called in or are they too educated? Quality of Bulls etc. etc. I have found some information about the Manti, but not a lot.

Thanks

It is a huge unit with lots of elk, lots of public land, and good access but lots of people and lots of roads too. There have been a few 400" bulls killed there but lots of 300" bulls get shot. Should be a great hunt, I grew up in Price and used to hunt the Manti a little.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Largest herd in utah also has the most tags. Archery season can be tough to call them in because it's typically hot. I'd narrow down which area and start your research. I'm also from price but mostly hunted the Manti side. I wouldn't pass a 300 bull in this unit and know many people who ate tag soup there. Come for as long as you can and be fexible.

OP
E
Thanks for your reply both realunlucky and Bruinpoint! What is the average temperature there early September? I'm sure it depends on what elevation, but I'm guessing 20's-40 for lows and 60,s and 70;s for highs at about 9,000 ft first 2 weeks in September. It may help that the season is open until 9/16 this year, I think the latest possible for archery?

I bet your guesses are real close. Could even get into the 80's. People successfully call bulls in OTC Colorado units and elsewhere earlier than 9/16 every year so I wouldn't rule it out. See if you can find some previous archery tag holders and ask them about wallows.

Just wondering if you ended up drawing the tag? The best advice i could give is to get up high and use your glass early season, as bulls will probably still be in bachelor groups, chase bugles as the rut progresses. Calling is semi effective as the locals all like to go up and call and watch the elk, and access is good. Much of the country is really open and or big canyons you can spot across or down. Get in good shape. Even though there are numerous roads and good access, you probably won' be on any elk right on the road and those canyons are deep. expect to see lots of 280-320 bulls and a few really good ones, if you put the time in.

OP
E
It turned out I had a 50/50 chance of drawing and did not. I haven't yet, but think I will be applying for the Manti again next week. Thanks for the reply. I have not been at this site for quite some time and just noticed your reply.

Good luck, hopefully you can draw this year. I love the Manti unit, it can be tough for archery though. I had the tag in 2013 and took a nice 335" bull. I've had 6 friends draw it since and none of them have tagged out but every single one of them had opportunities. I called in a 360+ bull to one buddy and he missed... twice!! I'll be up there again this year helping another friend. I have no doubt he'll tag out, I've called in 4 bulls for him and he's been able to get every single one of them.
Where will you be coming from, will you have much time to scout? It really isn't too hard to find elk there but it helps to get some scouting in to learn the terrain and find where the elk prefer to hang out.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
years ago we used to hunt just east of Electric lake, but I have not been back there since it burned several years ago, which is a terrible shame; that area had the biggest aspen trees I've ever seen and some of them had carvings dating back to the early settlers and I believe it based on how big they were. North of Electric lake did not burn. There are a lot of roads in the unit, but it's not hard to get away from people, because the hiking in some places is pretty steep. I can recall a few side hills needing to use my hands to pull myself up. Also many of the roads you see on maps are pretty rough roads (it has been a few years since I've been there though).

This year's winter kill might be bad down there; might not be the best year to burn 13 points.

If you are set on the unit, go for it, but it's a long way to come and a long time to wait for the Manti. It's right in my back yard, and I wouldn't burn 5 points on it. There are a billion people, roads everywhere, and the archery hunt is just about the worst time of year possible. The pressure gets pretty outrageous and the rut rarely hits hard before the end of the hunt. If you are interested in packing in, areas like White Mountain, Fish Creek, and Black Canyon have good numbers and less pressure. If you see a good 6, better be killing it. Trophy quality is poor, although there are good bulls (over ~350) they're far from common. I'll tell you absolutely anything you want to know, PM me if you have any questions. I'll never say it can't be a great, successful hunt but it's a tough unit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sneek-ee

WKR
If you are set on the unit, go for it, but it's a long way to come and a long time to wait for the Manti. It's right in my back yard, and I wouldn't burn 5 points on it. There are a billion people, roads everywhere, and the archery hunt is just about the worst time of year possible. The pressure gets pretty outrageous and the rut rarely hits hard before the end of the hunt. If you are interested in packing in, areas like White Mountain, Fish Creek, and Black Canyon have good numbers and less pressure. If you see a good 6, better be killing it. Trophy quality is poor, although there are good bulls (over ~350) they're far from common. I'll tell you absolutely anything you want to know, PM me if you have any questions. I'll never say it can't be a great, successful hunt but it's a tough unit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pathfinder your inbox is full..