Colorado Unit 76

njdoxie

WKR
Good lord, now you can't give out info on a once/twice in a lifetime hunt? Please. More folks should do this, since you're not going back. Good for you and the folks you help.

Bar

Banned
Being crowded means more than just during the hunt. Why do you guys think a unit becomes a high point unit? It's hunting reports. There's lots of NR and residents looking for a unit to use their points on. When they see a nice elk taken they apply for that unit. The more that do it the more points it takes to get the tag. Guys can show their kills and talk about the hunt, but they don't have to name the unit.

I know the unit I hunt that all the locals never say they got an elk when they're surveyed. They never talk about their kills to anyone. That's why we can get tags with a 60% chance with no point and guaranteed with 1 point.

Go ahead and brag about the unit you got a kill in. I hope you're good at saving points. A crowded draw is much worse than a crowded hunt. A crowded draw means you don't get to hunt at all.

Felix40

WKR
I think everyone already knows that 76 has good elk in it. Same goes for 2, 10, 201, 61. A single picture of a bull is going to have little impact on a well known unit. Probably less than 5% of guys applying have enough points to have any effect at all.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is just a sour grapes kinda guy. Defender of all Colorado elk units.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
Yes, and more should be like me. You'd have less guys complaining about not having enough points.

Of course those units are well known now. How do you think they got that way? It doesn't mean squat to me. I don't hunt high point units. I'm thinking of everybody else. Of course one picture won't change much, but an accumulation will change things.

Why is so hard to keep quiet about the units you hunt? I'm not really picking on the report in this thread. I'm just using it as an example.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you don't like it don't do it. Please stop crying about it on every thread. Forums are for sharing. There are tons of forums for frustrated negative people I'm sure you could find one

Bar

Banned
How about you stop whining about me? Sound familiar?

I'm not frustrated at all. Not even when you post.

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't like it don't do it. Please stop crying about it on every thread. Forums are for sharing. There are tons of forums for frustrated negative people I'm sure you could find one

Nailed it.

Schleppy

Lil-Rokslider
I am very secretive about my spots and would never give out information on the web, but in this situation it's basically a once in a lifetime tag or once every 9 years for this guy. He's just trying to help out the guys that drew a tag there this year. There are probably other guys who also drew that tag this year and were planning on hunting that same spot because they gathered information on it and they might not be happy to see it out there on the interwebs. It could go either way. Maybe all the hunters in the world will apply for 76 now and next year I can draw my point creeping unit of choice. I think what BAR is trying to accomplish is to nicely ask that people not publicly name spots in certain units that will hit on a google search to force people to get off their butts and do a little leg work or at least speak to other humans. Lets not let this degenerate into a pissing match.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Great bull. Sounds like it was a great hunt. We head down this Thursday night for muzzleloader in this unit. We are still trying to narrow things down on where to start the hunt out of the places that we scouted. It will be myself and buddy, both from CO and both with a tag. I am getting excited, to say the least.

One item I am not sure of, we will be packing in early Friday and glassing to get a jump on the hunt and then I am able to hunt thru next Wednesday. Doesn't leave me a ton of time, but hopefully I can get a couple chances. Any advice on expectations and what size bull to pull the trigger on? I would hate to go home empty handed, but don't really want to of traded in all those points for a rag horn. Thanks and hope everyone is having a good archery season out there!

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Cowboy....I figured if I see a bunch of nice bulls glassing, or only small bulls, that would help set my expectations. If I see a 6 point, I am for sure pulling the trigger. Anything over 280 would make me really happy!

tracker12

WKR
Some guys from out of state look for info like this when picking a unit. They have no clue where to go, and at least they know an elk was taken in 76. They also know about where now too.

I'm not a fan of giving out any info on units. I've lost so many spots that I worked hard to find from info given on forums. It's fine to show kills, but don't say where you got them.

I know i'm a grumpy old fart, but my style of hunting needs solitude. It's getting pretty hard to find it. I don't hunt 76. I'm just trying to make a point.

A bad point from my perspective. I can see if it is an OTC unit that you hunt each year. But in this case the OP may ne er return.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Its not the originial OP thats the issue its all the other folks that are close to drawing the unit that it will impact if the req points go up. The more people hype a unit the more people want to hunt it. 76 is pretty hyped already so who knows if it really changed anything but you never know people building towards 61 and other top units get tired of waiting and jump to 76 due to all the publicity.

I'm not trying to bash anyone just stating that hyped units even sub 10 point units may alter decisions others make on applications in future years, lot of people with points applying to other units not getting those premium tags every year. Big bulls in easier to draw units can make a applicant switch units.

I'm all for hunters helping hunters however it can be done without drawing a lot of attention to a specific unit. For example one could post I hunted unit 76 last year if anyone has the tag I'd be will to help out and continue via PM to any responders and not include a pic in the post. Maybe later post a hunt recap with pic not specifiying a unit if you want to share.

Also this thread is a year old from original post and somehow got resurrected.

Last edited: