Bow Hiking 2016

HAHA, hoping this trip isnt just a bow hike but it will be a good time either way!

Aside from the bad joke, I am in the process of planning my first elk hunt in Colorado for this September and wanted a place to organize my thoughts and plans. Hoping to get some advice from you guys on gear and tactics since you know a lot more then I do about this stuff. We are planning to hike in 3-5 miles and camp as needed.

Ive been collecting gear since last summer and feel like im in pretty good shape as far as clothes go. Here is my gear list as of now, changes can be made.

Pants -FL guide
Base Bottoms -FL allegehney
Tops -FL llano and chama
Socks -
Boxer -Red desert(as of now)
Rain Jacket -FL Stormtight
Gaiters -??
Vest - FL puffy
Boots - Meindl Ultralights

Sleeping
Nemo OBI tent
Helium 15* bag
Exped DownMat Lite 5 L
Foam pad (use for sleeping, sitting on around camp, and hopefully for putting meat on while de-boning)

I have some other gear i will add to the list as well.

I have been super busy with work and other hobbies the last few months and have kind of let this elk planning go on the back burner, which i regret already. Now i am really trying to buckle down and get a unit picked out so we can start dialing in a plan. We have taken some units off the list but haven't decided on one yet. This needs to happen soon though.

Im not in terrible shape at 5' 9" and 185 lbs, but i definitely need to work on cardio and get some time with my heavy pack on. My buddy is a lot bigger guy and he is working on dropping some weight to help with the mountains as well. Working on our fitness is one of the major things we are focusing on. Its one of the few things we can control and from the reading ive done it can really effect our hunt as far as how enjoyable and successful of a trip we have.

Im going to try and keep this thread updated with my plans and questions. I appreciate any advise you can give me! Feel free to criticize my gear and choices as i would rather figure out a better option now then when im out there.

The vest may end up being more insulation than you like. I prefer to keep layers for insulation fairly minimal for September mountain hunts, a cheap fleece vest is my preference since the wind can get through it fairly easy when I'm huffing and puffing going uphill. Any more insulation than that and I'd probably never wear one. With all your other layers on if you get chilled the addition of a jacket with wind stopper type materials will have you pretty toasty.

AdamW

WKR
Sounds like your gear is pretty squared away. Gaiters - OR Crocodiles seem to be the most popular if you're planning to buy some. Unless you need 2 pads for sleeping, maybe swap that out for a piece of plastic for laying meat on and use a small sit pad instead? Cut some weight and bulk down and not have blood/meat on your foam pad that you want to use for other things.

Looking forward to the updates!

OP
M
The vest may end up being more insulation than you like. I prefer to keep layers for insulation fairly minimal for September mountain hunts, a cheap fleece vest is my preference since the wind can get through it fairly easy when I'm huffing and puffing going uphill. Any more insulation than that and I'd probably never wear one. With all your other layers on if you get chilled the addition of a jacket with wind stopper type materials will have you pretty toasty.

The vest is so light and packs so small it might go anyhow. Planned on using the rain jacket as a wind breaker and the vest for warmth if need be.

Sounds like your gear is pretty squared away. Gaiters - OR Crocodiles seem to be the most popular if you're planning to buy some. Unless you need 2 pads for sleeping, maybe swap that out for a piece of plastic for laying meat on and use a small sit pad instead? Cut some weight and bulk down and not have blood/meat on your foam pad that you want to use for other things.

Looking forward to the updates!

Yea, im not set on taking the foam pad as of right now. It was cheap and kind of handy when i went hiking/camping locally earlier this year. It will probably depend on how much my pack weighs when its all loaded up.

Thanks for the tip on the socks! I have heard of them but havent tried them. I did pick up a few different types of merino socks from camofire in the last few months and need to figure out which ones feel the best for me.

I signed up for ELK 101 University today. Ive liked what ive seen from Corey and I think there is a lot of good tactic info that will help me. I know there is plenty of free info out there, but then it all gets kind of jumbled up and i think il have a hard time falling back on it when im actually hunting. This way i can have a semi-structured plan of how to call/ find elk and just roll with it.

Pow

FNG
Huh, I normally pack a rain jacket and down puffy in September. Not sure the altitude you plan to hunt, but definitely could be temps below freezing in September at night first thing in the morning if you are up high.

If you are sitting a wallow or something first thing in the morning or on top of a ridge glassing, it can be darn cold out.

I sleep in the puffy too and that allows me to pack a much lighter bag if I bivy.

I'm a big fan of Smart Wool PHD socks. I get the super light ones I carry two pairs at all times and switch them as needed.

I would not recommend putting your meat on your sleeping pad, especially if you have a nice one. A better option, get a $4 emergency blanket and it doubles as safety and a clean space I take one everywhere in my kit.

njdoxie

WKR
Yes, being out of shape can flat ruin a trip, no if, ands, or buts about it......with that being said there are a few people who's deconditioned state is excellent, they don't need to workout to hunt hard day after day, I know a few of those, they're amazing...I'm not one unfortunately, don't know if you are.

Last edited:
OP
M
I'm a big fan of Smart Wool PHD socks. I get the super light ones I carry two pairs at all times and switch them as needed.

I would not recommend putting your meat on your sleeping pad, especially if you have a nice one. A better option, get a $4 emergency blanket and it doubles as safety and a clean space I take one everywhere in my kit.

I love smartwool socks, i wear the short ones everyday. Thanks for the tip on the space blanket. Thats the kind of stuff i need to figure out now. Just to be clear on it though, i wasnt going to used the foam as my main sleeping pad, i have the inflatable one as well. Just use it around camp to sit on, glass on and so on. Not a necessity though by any means.

Lifetime guarantee on the darn tough socks. Warranty works and is a simple process. I can be hard on socks and getting new ones for a few bucks shipping is not a bad deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like your comment the one thing we can change control is your fitness👍 Yep it is and does contribute in many situations to success more than gear. Get in as good of shape as you can and be ready for the mental side along with physical. Many highs and lows can occur and it can all change in a matter of minutes. Stay positive, have fun, be as prepared as you can and next year at this time this will be the only thing on your mind or you will say that is a lot of work😀 Good luck!

Theres a couple of things to keep in mind as well. First, depending on where you're from, consider the distances you are comfortable shooting and be sure you can shoot at western ranges. Down south and out east, 30-40yds is a longer shot but generally speaking that is close range for elk woods. Practice and be comfortable with at least 60 yds or so to ensure a reasonable chance at success. Another consideration is your comfort level with the cold. If you are a cold sleeper understand that the temperatures can change drastically from day to day and day to night so be ready to sleep in the gear you're wearing during the day. A good merino heavy base for sleep can go a long way to keeping you comfortable and ready to attack the day while only adding minimum weight and allowing you to dry out your base layers of the day. One final note, prior to my last hunt, one of my hunting partners and I used a product called a training mask that simulates altitude to prepare for being up there chasing elk. I imagine it sounds kinda gimmicky however, all three of us were deployed and trained together and once on the mountain, only two of us performed well. Our third member while in shape, had a more difficult time with his cardio and stamina than we did. Just my .02 Out of curiosity, what unit and when? Good Luck!

bz_711

WKR
Gear is great and all (and fun to play with)...but as long as you have a way to stay dry...most focus should be on getting in shape, breaking boots in, and mentally preparing yourself to still smile and STAY POSITIVE even if you don't lay eyes on elk day after day. Have fun! Good Luck!

OP
M
Theres a couple of things to keep in mind as well. First, depending on where you're from, consider the distances you are comfortable shooting and be sure you can shoot at western ranges. Down south and out east, 30-40yds is a longer shot but generally speaking that is close range for elk woods. Practice and be comfortable with at least 60 yds or so to ensure a reasonable chance at success. Another consideration is your comfort level with the cold. If you are a cold sleeper understand that the temperatures can change drastically from day to day and day to night so be ready to sleep in the gear you're wearing during the day. A good merino heavy base for sleep can go a long way to keeping you comfortable and ready to attack the day while only adding minimum weight and allowing you to dry out your base layers of the day. One final note, prior to my last hunt, one of my hunting partners and I used a product called a training mask that simulates altitude to prepare for being up there chasing elk. I imagine it sounds kinda gimmicky however, all three of us were deployed and trained together and once on the mountain, only two of us performed well. Our third member while in shape, had a more difficult time with his cardio and stamina than we did. Just my .02 Out of curiosity, what unit and when? Good Luck!

I plan to shoot this new bow a lot out at 80-100 yards for practice as soon as i can get it setup. Id like to feel real comfortable at 50-60 yards. The up/down shots are going to be tough to practice where i live, but im going to try and find some shoots in the steeper part of my state to go to. Hopefully that helps.

Ive hunted in all kinds of nasty conditions and i tried to get decent gear so im hoping the temps wont bother me, no matter what we are dealt.

Gear is great and all (and fun to play with)...but as long as you have a way to stay dry...most focus should be on getting in shape, breaking boots in, and mentally preparing yourself to still smile and STAY POSITIVE even if you don't lay eyes on elk day after day. Have fun! Good Luck!

The guy im going with is very mentally tough, at least from my experience hunting with him so far. Id like to think i can stick it out no matter what, but you never know til your put in that position i guess.

I have been going through some unit info, and its the hardest part of this whole elk trip i think. I am trying to stay away from overly crowded units the best i can. Im sure you can find areas in every unit that are crowded and some that are void of cars but i would hate to spend my hunting time driving around.

Right now i am looking at unit 53 and unit 63. I have read that 53 gets some pressure in the West Elk wilderness area, but its a huge area as well. Unit 63 seems to be less talked about, but just looking at the maps there is a lot less area to hunt. Still looking into both some more at this time. I was thinking the last 2 weeks of season, but the full moon is the 16th, which is right in the middle of our hunt. There would also be muzzleloader hunters in there during that time. Just so much to think about its tough to make a decision.

OP
M
Does anyone have any input on the NE corner of 63 or SE part of 53? It looks like access to that area might be fairly limited

I have hunted on the 54 side of the area your talking. I didn't really see anyone but that don't mean people are not there. Half of the elk I hunted bedded on the 53 side of a ridge.

OP
M
Ok, I think the plan for where we are hunting has changed. We are leaning towards Idaho now for a few reasons.

I've been doing a lot better about being consistent with my exercise. Jogging every other day and we strapped packs on the other evening and did a quick 3 miles.

I need to fine tune my list of smaller items that I need for the trip. I would really like to have ALL my gear in hand a month before the trip. That way I don't have to worry and I can focus on exercise and shooting my bow.

We are shooting more regularly and getting our bows tuned.

Still need to make it a habit to throw my elk calls in the truck and practice a lot more

These next two months are going to fly by and it's really setting in that I'm going elk hunting soon! Can't wait!

Hike2hunt

FNG
Good Luck on your hunt, as you narrow down your area ensure you do a detailed map study. Know the ground your getting into, always carry a map, don't rely on a GPS or phone to do your navigating. Map and compass is a great and perishable skill that more should know and use.