Less than 2 months out! It's starting to get real!

Well, I am leaving on September the 16th for first ever elk hunt. Less than two months to go and its starting to get real! The last couple months have been a whirlwind. I graduated from nursing school, went on AT for the National Guard, took a couple weeks vacation with the family, started my new job and have been recovering from a back injury. I feel like I am back at square one! Physically speaking I am way behind. Went on a short hike yesterday and was sucking wind after a mile. I have really got to ramp it up over the next few weeks or I will be in trouble!

What are you guys doing during these final couple months? I have my area pinned down and a decent game plan in mind. Physically, I just have some catching up to do.

elkyinzer

WKR
Something flipped the switch in me about the start of this week. I think about hunting year round, but there comes a point every summer where it quickly escalates from passing thoughts to pure obsession. We had a stretch of cooler, dry weather and the days are getting shorter. The herbs and underbrush in the woods are dying back. That seems to do it for me, the time is getting near!

I leave September 10 for elk, so a little over 6 weeks out. This will be my 3rd trip for elk and something like my 7th trip out West, so I am really starting to feel more confident about my preparations. I really ramp up my training in August, and that is good enough for me. I stay in pretty good shape year-round, and don't try to be Superman on a hunt. Thus far in the summer I have stayed pretty active, doing consistent hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, and also lifting a couple times a week.

Throughout the rest of summer I will start loading the pack with 50-60 lbs and hitting the mountains 3-4 days a week to tune up the legs. High Intensity Interval Training (wind sprints) once or twice a week to get the lungs up to speed. 2 or 3 all-day hikes to tune up endurance and work through the blisters and hot spots. Shoot the bow at least every other day. Back off the lifting a little bit and be cautious about avoiding injury. Clean up my eating, cut back on drinking (so many summer parties and weddings), and get in a good sleeping rhythm (easier said than done with a two-week old at home). That's about it for me, happy with my gear from last year I just have to make up a few more arrows and I should be good to go.

CAN'T FRIGGIN WAIT

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Less than 2 months out! It's starting to get real!

It will get real when you hear that first bugle.

I'm ready to go year round. I could pack up the truck today and be good to go, but I'm still enjoying the summer right now. Still haven't soaked up enough heat yet. Feels like early June for some reason to me, and the summer is almost over already.:( The kids are dreading school.....less than a month out. And my how times have changed......they've had homework all summer they have to have done by the start of school for some classes. That's whacked in my world.

Good luck on the elk hunt. It's not an obsession, it's a way of life.

xcutter

WKR
I know what you mean. Excitement keeps getting more. Been training for months trying to cut some weight. Still not were I want to be but I got about 2 months to go. Can't wait to go out west again. Been looking forward to it since my last time out in 2014.

Best of luck to ya.

I fly out for my first ever elk hunt on September 18th. Unfortunately I tore my achilles tendon about 8 weeks ago and have been dealing with that. Had what I hope is the last procedure performed on it today. Going to start PT in a week so at least I will be using it again and working towards getting it stronger and me back in shape. Have about 6 more weeks on the mend so am cutting it real close. Going to start water jogging next week as well to get some cardio work in. This will be a guided hunt so I at least have that going for me. Good Luck.

Cowbell

WKR
Man that's tough to overcome in such a short time - I wish you a speedy recovery!

twall13

WKR
After a few hunts where I experienced the pain of not being in shape on the mountain I changed to a year round workout schedule that keeps me in shape all year long. I joke with my wife that if it wasn't for hunting she'd have a fat slob for a husband. Hunting keeps me motivated year round, though I do tend to ramp things up a bit through the later part of the summer. Push it hard these next few months and have a great time.

ScottinPA

WKR
6 wks from today I'll start the 34hr drive to MT for my first DIY solo hunt. Stoked for sure. Most of my time now is studying maps, checking/rechecking gear, and running/lifting/hiking. Can't wait.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Count down mode is on Shooting daily, lots of cardio, break in news calls, stay injury free and not drive the wife crazy with bugles39 days until september.....Broadhead shooting starting next week it is getting close👊

OP
T
I'm trying to ramp up my training without hurting myself again! My back injury was an old army injury that flared back up when I started backpack training. I am focusing heavily on my core, since it has gotten weak over the last couple months. My cardio is pretty good. I went on a hike Saturday with a light pack, about 30lbs and felt pretty good. Been shooting my bow quite a bit and feel confident out to 65 yds. I have it dialed in to 80 yds but I won't take a shot at an animal that far.

I know what you mean. Im a disabled hunter and this year I am in way worse shape due to chronic disease than I was last year this time but all I can think about is getting out there and doing it to it whether its sitting in a blind or road hunting I don't care and I'm just glad to get out there in whatever way I can.

Won't be long now :)

Fullfan

WKR
No doubt it is coming fast. I don't leave until Oct 10th, now is the time to start. I tell guys that go with me that doing a little of something is better than doing nothing at all. I have discovered that the older I get the steeper the mountains of Idaho get..