wolves and bears

pyrannah

Lil-Rokslider
what do i need, in order to be prepared for my upcoming hunt.. im on an outfitted hunt, but also want to be prepared on my own...

Randle

WKR
I find bears are scaredycats, wolves seem to be a little less intimidated by humans., I carry a small pistol, sometimes a .45.
The bears run off most times, wolves hang around and bark and howl. I have had wolves within 50 yards and not leave .
never had them come closer but during archery season I carry, rifle season no need. Where are you hunting?

OP
P

pyrannah

Lil-Rokslider
have u ever had to use your pistol?

im hunting the bitterroots

Randle

WKR
Started to draw on a sow with cubs 2 years ago when they were coming in faster then I like , but just the movement scared them off

OP
P

pyrannah

Lil-Rokslider
i will have spray on me mostly for my on peace of mind and hope my worst experience is what you mention....

thanks man

Bear spray and more importantly being aware of your surroundings.

Thats the key, trying to stay alert to your surroundings...I walked into a bear trap once.. never again, i was in the absaroka beartooth and sow and cub were down in this tight gulch. I was just trying to get out of country after an unsuccessful few days backpack hunting...i walked right into them cause i was tired and not paying much attention and trying to take the easy way out. Thank god all she did was show some teeth, and man i boogied away from her..got lucky she didnt want to fight. I carry spray always but in griz country i like my .357 Blackhawk on my side too...

hobbes

WKR
I'd discuss this with the outfitter. I've never went on an outfitted hunt, but would expect any good outfitter to have a list of things that you need to bring. I'd pack bear spray whether they recommended it or not. I don't know how many are there, but your definitely in grizz country. By my way of thinking, they warrant a higher level of concern than blacks do.

If it's a fully guided hunt, they may not want you packing a sidearm. Maybe that is never the case, but I suspect that if I was a guide there are some clients that I'd rather didn't start shooting in a tight spot.

IdahoElk

WKR
have u ever had to use your pistol?

im hunting the bitterroots

I think others are talking about Black bears,you're going to have to possibly deal with Grizzlies(eastern side of Bitterroots?). I would definitely carry pepper spray along with fire power.That's just me.
Wolves are a non issue.

Last edited:

kicker338

WKR
Had an issue with a bear a few yrs. back now pack a 10mm auto glock. Wolves not an issue here in north Id now with
hunting seasons on them. They learned real quick that an incounter with a human was usually their last one .

kicker338

WKR
I herd something once while sleeping in the back of my truck, limbs snapping belching and farting. Finally got tired of it and
beat on the side of the truck bed to chase it off, moose or elk then went back to sleep LOL.

Schmidty

FNG
I carry a ten mill glock and bear spray. The ten is pretty light for the fire power you get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lkwoolsey

WKR
I usually carry a pistol on my pack's belt. I doubt you'd need to worry about wolves, but grizzlies are definitely more of a concern. Just pay attention to your surroundings, bear bag your food, and have a great hunt!

There are very few grizzly bears in the Bitterroot Range. I've hunted for many years in prime grizzly country. I carry pepper spray and pay attention to my surroundings. Other than that I don't lose any sleep at all over it. The first time I hunted in grizzly country I was terrified and could hardly sleep. I wasted a lot of effort worrying about things that didn't need worried about.

Enjoy your hunt.

jspradley

WKR
Get a big ol can of bear spray. It's proven to be more effective at stopping bear attacks than a handgun.

Not sure how effective pepper spray is against wolves but it shuts dogs down hard... I would imagine wolves would react similarly. And besides...how often do wolves actually attack people??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted thick griz country last year & had similar apprehension. Since it was archery, I also carried the spray & 10mm. We kept a clean camp & had no issues. I'm told by many with extensive elk hunting experience in griz infested areas that most encounters occur after the elk is down and the bear wants to claim the kill. I was also warned to be extra alert while breaking down the elk & packing it out. Your outfitter knows the country and should be able to address any of your concerns before the hunt. Many use electrified bear fences. Try to relax and enjoy the experience. Good luck!