SW Desert Elk, Late Bull Hunt

Jackson

FNG
Hello all. I'm new to this forum (well, new to posting) so I thought I'd make my first thread a journal about my upcoming trip. I drew the late bull tag in Utah's SW Desert, and I'm pumped that I have the whole season to find a good bull.

I have been able to scout it a bit, and a couple new friends have been invaluable in leading me to a few good areas. Part of my struggle is finding a way to bivy hunt an area known more for road hunting. The other challenge is that early reports from spike hunters have largely been negative.

It takes 16 points or so for a nonresident to draw, so I'm going to make the most of this. Lots of glassing, lots of hiking ridges, and plenty of time just soaking it all in. I am fine whether I get a bull or not, and I'm holding out for a big desert bull. I found a couple decent bulls so far, but not one of the big boys. Season starts in 13 days!

I've read Muley Buck's posts about his deer hunt, and it reminded me about how hard this unit can be. PathFinder has given me some great advice, and I owe him a debt of gratitude already. I hope I'm ready, stay tuned for updates!

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Don't have any current info, but a buddy of mine took a 396" bull in that unit 4 years ago with a muzzleloader, so I know there are some huge bulls there...good luck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like some weather is moving in that will help the late hunt a bunch

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jackson

FNG
Really? That's great! I have only seen sunshine in the forecast, but I'm looking at national sites.

OP
J

Jackson

FNG
November 12th through the 20th. I'm going on the 10th, so I'll get two days of scouting as well.

OP
J

Jackson

FNG
Photography is my hobby. I'll do my best to keep a photo log. One more week and I'll be in elk camp...

If you want some help glassing or whatever this weekend let me know. Not sure where you are from but I am just in Cedar. I know 2 people that had earlier tags, one archery and one rifle (wifes boss). The rifle tag got turned back in as he wasn't seeing any bulls like he wanted. He was out every weekend scouting so he may have some good info.

twall13

WKR
No info. on the current status of the unit but my uncle got this nice bull on that unit 5 or 6 years ago so I know it has potential. Good luck.
58c04d29be25f97fc090326daf9cb100.jpg

OP
J

Jackson

FNG
Thanks for the offer MuleyFever, I'd gladly take you up on that! All early reports are that this is a down year for big bulls, but maybe that just means that the good ones are still alive!

I'd feel better if the forecast didn't look so sunny and warm. Oh well, at least I can be out hunting all day in beautiful weather.

marktole

WKR
I don't know about how this year in particular is doing for bulls in SW Desert, but I worked a job in SW Utah this summer with a few guys who were from a town in that unit. One guy had an archery tag in '09 and had, what he claimed to be, a shot at a 400" bull and his bow malfunctioned on him and caused the arrow to fly sideways and hit the bull! He also told me you're cheating yourself if you come out of there with less than a 370" bull, sounds like there's some monsters there for sure! Good luck and I look forward to hearing about your hunt!

OP
J

Jackson

FNG
Arrived today. It's way too warm for November! I have no idea if the the bulls will be bachelored up yet. I'm going to concentrate on water sources near fresh chainrings or burns, and hope for the best. Scouting tomorrow...then on Saturday things get real.

Arrived today. It's way too warm for November! I have no idea if the the bulls will be bachelored up yet. I'm going to concentrate on water sources near fresh chainrings or burns, and hope for the best. Scouting tomorrow...then on Saturday things get real.
Bulls are bachelored up here on the Manti. Hopefully this ridiculously warm weather will have them close to water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

^^^ Yes, lets ^^^

I just saw this thread! I wish he would have PM'd me. I saw some real bruisers out there! I haven't put my eyes on a lot of elk, but these boys were BIG.