Elk Newbie. Moving from the plans to the panhandle............

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
OK, so moving from central North Dakota to the CDA area next spring/summer. Not even sure if I will get my residency stuff taken care of to hunt 2017 as a resident.

Absolutely obsessed with the thought of Elk hunting. Never done it.

Deer hunted with bow and gun around here. Mainly drives with Guns and stand hunting with Bow. Sitting still in a stand is tough for me.

Looking at Google Earth of the Panhandle area is pretty overwhelming to me. Where to even start? It all looks like good Elk habitat to a flat lander.

I will be trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can before I make the move!!

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
The technical rule is that you have to be domiciled (residing) in the state for 6 months to be considered a resident for your all fish and game purposes. If you have your drivers license switched to Idaho by the time you buy a license and apply for controlled hunts, they probably won't hassle you any. If you don't have things lined up by the controlled hunt application deadline, expect to pay out the nose for everything that year, or just bag the controlled hunts and buy an OTC tag once you're set up for resident pricing.

Another plus to the OTC tag is that they generally allow you to hunt multiple units within a zone. At least that's the case where I am, but I've never spent much time in the panhandle, to be honest. Hunting multiple units would be very beneficial as a first year hunter, because it allows you to explore more country. I wouldn't go into you first year expecting to recreate an episode of Meateater. Just spend a lot of time out hunting, keeping safety in mind above all, and you'll learn what questions to ask and what to research. The best education is just going to be to get out and do it.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
The technical rule is that you have to be domiciled (residing) in the state for 6 months to be considered a resident for your all fish and game purposes. If you have your drivers license switched to Idaho by the time you buy a license and apply for controlled hunts, they probably won't hassle you any. If you don't have things lined up by the controlled hunt application deadline, expect to pay out the nose for everything that year, or just bag the controlled hunts and buy an OTC tag once you're set up for resident pricing.

Another plus to the OTC tag is that they generally allow you to hunt multiple units within a zone. At least that's the case where I am, but I've never spent much time in the panhandle, to be honest. Hunting multiple units would be very beneficial as a first year hunter, because it allows you to explore more country. I wouldn't go into you first year expecting to recreate an episode of Meateater. Just spend a lot of time out hunting, keeping safety in mind above all, and you'll learn what questions to ask and what to research. The best education is just going to be to get out and do it.

Thanks for the reply.

I have no grand illusions. I know what the success ratio is for the area, and know the odds are stacked against me a bit. Meat in the cooler would be a huge success.

My whole family is outdoor oriented, so weekend scouting will be a family affair. My two oldest kids are just as excited as me.

12143235_10205130157237449_5507397835015383039_n.jpg

Definitely not scared of burning boot leather.

Jon Boy

WKR
Hunting multiple units would be very beneficial as a first year hunter, because it allows you to explore more country. I wouldn't go into you first year expecting to recreate an episode of Meateater. Just spend a lot of time out hunting, keeping safety in mind above all, and you'll learn what questions to ask and what to research. The best education is just going to be to get out and do it.

Some of the best advice I've seen posted here in regards to beginner elk hunters.

KurtR

WKR
Having just came back from Idaho be it a bit south of where you will be it is really hard to believe how thick and steep it is till you get there. Living in the same country as you do now and not being scared of burning boot leather is a good thing to say here but out there it is a different animal. Just learning the areas will be a huge advantage going up on weekends and knowing the ins and outs will put you where you need to be. From what i saw your dogs will love it to we scarred up multiple flocks of chukars and the grouse scarred us they held so tight. Enjoy your move to one of the most beautiful places i have ever been.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely going to be unlike anything I have ever experienced. The learning curve will be steep.

We had a chance to spend a week out there this past summer and I got a couple opportunities to explore on my mtn bike. Steep and thick stuff in a lot of areas.

IMG_20160728_094825867-L.jpg

semperfidelis97

Lil-Rokslider
The panhandle can be both tough, and rewarding. The terrain keeps the pressure down once you get off of the main roads. I would honestly spend some of your free time just exploring some of the country on foot it will be a great way to condition yourself slowly to the extreme ruggedness of that area. The animals are definitely there as long as you are willing to put in some work.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
The panhandle can be both tough, and rewarding. The terrain keeps the pressure down once you get off of the main roads. I would honestly spend some of your free time just exploring some of the country on foot it will be a great way to condition yourself slowly to the extreme ruggedness of that area. The animals are definitely there as long as you are willing to put in some work.

Thanks!!

kicker338

WKR
When you get here post on here pm me and I can get you started on where and how to hunt here. When I first moved here in 1999 I had to learn everything on my own, too about 3yrs. to get my first elk and will never forget it. I can still take you to the very spot where I got it lol.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
When you get here post on here pm me and I can get you started on where and how to hunt here. When I first moved here in 1999 I had to learn everything on my own, too about 3yrs. to get my first elk and will never forget it. I can still take you to the very spot where I got it lol.

That is awesome.....thank you very much!! I will be in touch!!

johnsd16

WKR
Congrats on the move. We are moving from MN to Hayden early next month. It's gonna be a huge change and will take some time to get it figured out.

OP
Coach529

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Finally here in North Idaho full time. Did not take care of my residency stuff.....so going non resident this fall.

I have been spending some time scouting unit 4A mainly because I have been working close to Lake View.

I am also new to CDA from MN. I have panhandle A tag and archery deer tag for this year. I found one spot I plan to hunt in Unit 4, looked like some good sign even though I did not see any animals. I plan on checking some areas out in units 6 & 7 sometime later this next week or next weekend.

johnsd16

WKR
We settled in here in Hayden. Haven't been out in the hills yet but dear lord are there whitetails in town. They are like squirrels. Seen a couple decent ones. Going to get a deer tag and hunt north who knows how far, no other tags this year until I can get residency. Need to get in shape for next year.

Definitely going to be unlike anything I have ever experienced. The learning curve will be steep.

We had a chance to spend a week out there this past summer and I got a couple opportunities to explore on my mtn bike. Steep and thick stuff in a lot of areas.

IMG_20160728_094825867-L.jpg

cda mtn, with blue creek bay in the background.

Decent elk/deer populations in those units but FYI be prepared for thousands of other hunters converging on those units in sep/oct/nov. Unit 4 is the most heavily hunted unit in the state per f&g. Hunted these units all my life and they have turned into absolute madness.
Sad to hear that. I've been wondering how busy it would be. We've been here for 1 year and Unit 4 and a little bit of 6 is all I've really explored so far. Figured out a couple places that I like and am hoping I can find a little bit of space.