7 PP in Colorado WWYD

I'm currently trying to figure out what to do with my dads 7 and my 6 non resident points in Colorado. I've been reading as much as I can on here and currently think we should apply dad for a muzzleloader tag in a unit then I'd get an OTC archery tag. Then Within the next year or two after that use my points and he'd get the OTC tag. I'd like to have a chance for him to get a decent bull, something close to 300" would be a trophy for us. My first pick was first season rifle but I didn't think we could get as good of a unit compared to going muzzleloader. We would Prefer to do a truck base camp but we could do a spike out. Dads been out a few times but it all been OTC tags so this is really the first time ether of us are using points. Does this sound doable? Should we hang onto our point for another 2-3 years then go out? What would you guys do?

elkduds

WKR
ML bull tag in gmu 48 west of Leadville? 100% of nrs w7 points drew it this year. Unit starts @ 10K elev, goes up from there to include CO's highest peak @ 14,439'. Would not recommend it as a 1st hunt to nrs, on altitude alone. W that many pts, consider a 67 ml bull hunt or same hunt in 501. There are bulls over 300" in those units, but frankly the odds are against taking one. As a resident I prefer DIY because I can scout and hunt very year. For your situation a guided hunt to one of those units would greatly improve the odds of reaching your antler size goal.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you were both bowhunting, I'd have some suggestions. But you're kind of in no man's land for NR ML. In the unit I hunted this year I talked to two NR ML hunters that said it took them 16 points to draw that unit this year, and I wouldn't have wasted 1 point on it.

If you're going to be hunting an OTC archery unit both times, IMO you guys are wasting your points on a ML tag for that. I'd gather a few more points for a better unit than OTC.

Bulldawg

WKR
I would use that many points on a muzzleloader tag that is OTC for archery, the whole point of saving points, IMO, is to hunt an area where not many people are hunting. Pick a unit that is draw for all seasons and is in the type country you want to hunt, and go on a hunt where either both of you can draw or hunt your dad this year and then you next year.

I wouldnt both hunt, its not as easy as you think. Especially coming from out of state and an OTC Bow unit with a Muzzleloader tag...I hunted 48 this year and i wouldnt waste 7 points on that unit at all. Its a good unit for a 1-4 point range depending on tag. Not nearly the elk the state claims... If i were you id try to get a 49 tag across the street and try to get a first rifle. As for your bow tag either make two trips or hunt a different year. Learn a high pt unit with your dad and then try to draw it the following year for yourself...

OP
L
Ok I see what you guys are saying about getting a tag ML tag in a OTC unit. I didn't think we could get a ML tag in a unit that didn't have OTC archery tags with the amount of points we have. I've just now started going through all the PP to draw, and success rates stuff. As far as Bull size we don't have a size it must be, just looking for better success odds with the points we have. Thanks for the info guys.

Bulldawg

WKR
I'll say this, just because you spend that many points on a tag give you 0 guarantee that you'll even see elk. I ran into a lot of people that used double digit deer points this year in a top deer unit that didn't see anything near what the unit is capable of. Weather can throw you a curve ball and make things super difficult. I think after saving points upon points people get a perceived notion that there should be a "good representation" of elk in every drainage and right off the road system because they "deserve" it for saving points. I'm not saying that I think that this is you guys, but I believe that you and everybody that is spending points, myself included, needs to look at these high point units as a chance to hunt an area with fewer other hunters to compete with, so the odds of getting away from people and hunting an animal that is behaving less like a pressured animal.

Good luck with your decision making and I hope you guys find some success!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I spent 6 points archery for a unit residents can draw with 0/1 points every/every other year. Point creep is a bitch for non residents. 7 points ain't getting much of a archery tag and even barely opens few units to muzzle. Your in a tough spot. Pick and go with creep a few more years will open few new options

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Straight6

FNG
As a NR, honestly you are in no mans land with your points. If you choose to wait for a "better" unit, you will be waiting a LONG time. I burned 11 points on a 4 point archery hunt and would do it again in a heartbeat. I was never going to catch the "better" units. A unit may not be worth 7 points in many peoples opinions, but as a NR you have to take what you can get. I'd pick a unit that has higher elk populations and go hunt, don't lose sleep that you used 1 point or 7. In the end time spent hunting with your dad will far outweigh the size of the animal.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would also take turns drawing and soley focusing on one person. This allows more quality time together and allows you to learn a unit for next time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

chindits

WKR
Ditto on lucky and 6's comments. You can wait forever to hunt with your Dad, or take what you can get and hunt as much as you can now. The concept of 1 person hunting and another person supporting by glassing or calling is a concept that many use all the time whether they are dealing with point restrictions or not. I am actually preferring the support role more and more as I find more joy in the other person's success then harvesting.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt Colorado 1st season-every other year as a NR from Wisconsin. The areas I hunt are either unit 23 in the Flat Tops or Unit 75. I have had great luck with Drop camps. If I had those points I would do a ML drop camp in 23- I know it takes next to none to hunt 1st Rifle-but Muzzle loader takes 5 or 6. The reason for this is the DOW doesn't want a lot of pressure on the public land until 1st rifle-so they can harvest without pushing elk to the private land before the rifle hunters get there. There are some great outfitters that can do a drop camp for you and your Dad-you will hear and see bulls. A great one is Rivers bend Outfitting. Tel gates- they kill 300 plus bulls every year-not everyone gets a big one but with a ML I think a 260-280 4 year old bull is realistic.- you may get a bigger one. I shot a 306 in 2010 1st rifle on a drop camp and a 280 this year. 1st rifle public land drop camps- there great! PM me for details. You would not have much competition in that season with them.