First elk - still giddy as a schoolgirl....

Tod osier

WKR
I would like to share the elk hunt I did this fall, which was my first time hunting elk.

I’ve been researching and building points for the past couple years and trying to figure out the game. This year I had a big chunk of time to do a trip with my family so I rolled my dice and tried for some modest tags and ended up with nothing, so I was looking for an OTC tag. I decided on Idaho because I haven’t spent any time there and with their mentored hunting program my son could hunt small game. With an Idaho Middlefork Elk tag in my pocket I got planning (I’d like to offer up a big thanks to a certain Rokslider for his advice during the planning stage). I decided to fly into the Frank Church for the hunt, which is a rut hunt with any weapon. OTC and DIY in the wilderness with the wife, kid and dog – perfect!

We, my wife, 9 year old son, dog and I, flew in a few days before the opener. We planned to spend 16 days in the backcountry, which was most of the season save a couple days. My primary goal was to shoot an elk, but I also had a deer tag, bear and wolf tag.

Since this was part of a 4 month long trip, we had to spend a couple days exploding the truck and camper to find gear to load our packs for the backcountry. We had portioned out and vacuum sealed all our meals back in July, so it was just a matter of finding the gear and putting it in our packs (but that still took 2 days).

IMG_0168_zpssetia8jk.jpg

Gear for 2+ weeks ready to go into the plane. We cached the barrel at the strip and that worked really well so we didn’t have to carry everything for 16 days and have a place for spare stuff in the backcountry.

IMG_0174_zpsxsdyucll.jpg

First Camp. We flew in a couple days before the opener to scout to try to get on a bull for the opener.

DSCF0098_zpszjcgzihu.jpg

Gus on the Swaro.

DSCF0096_zpsn8ka3u0j.jpg

Eating in the rain.

DSCF0099_zps4rldi7rn.jpg

On the opener I hiked a couple miles and a thousand feet up to a high knob to glass. I glassed up two bear at daybreak at 1600 yards and around noon I spotted a herd of elk about 3.5 miles off. The elk were out in a burn standing around. I didn’t have the spotting scope, but I could tell they were uncomfortable from their movements, I could see a herd bull, but couldn’t see how big. I wondered if wolves were harassing them or if it was another bull trying to take the herd, obviously they were not being hunted being out in the open at noon on the opener.

The next morning everyone got up a couple hours before daybreak to get to the glassing spot. We ate breakfast and glassed.

DSCF0116_zpss7fp00jd.jpg

Had coffee and hot chocolate - the important stuff.

DSCF0118_zpslt37hmdw.jpg

Gus glassing.

DSCF0121_zpskbgwcnsb.jpg

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
B

Gus and Jen went to camp to hang out and I stayed to glass. At about 6:30 pm I glassed up the herd of elk out feeding on a grassy slope near where I’d seen them the day before. This time I had the spotter and could tell the herd bull was worth going after and a satellite bull giving him a hard time. We pulled camp the next morning and moved a couple miles to set a camp within range of the elk.

DSCF0128_zpswnrg220n.jpg

We had camp set up by midday and I hustled up to the top of the mountain to scout and try to figure out how to intercept the herd. When I got up there, it took a bit to figure out what I was seeing, but to the right is the slope the elk were feeding on the previous evening. Wind was marginal and I almost went back down several times, but it held to an OK direction. I hiked up and set myself up on the slope to the left in the photo to glass where I had seen the elk.

DSCF0155_zpsl34mmu1b.jpg

About 5:30 the elk came bolting out of the timber and over the top of the hill – it sounded like an avalanche from a half mile away. In this pic there are 15 elk at the very top of the hill along with the herd bull. The elk fed to within 450 yards and started to feed across and away. I was looking across the valley at them and had no cover down slope or back up to change my position. I had a great rest on several logs, dialed my scope in and took the shot. I saw dust fly from his coat from the shot, so I shot twice more before he stepped behind the one tree that blocked that part of the slope from view. The cows and calves milled around and eventually hightailed up the slope single file and he slowly walked downhill. He bedded head up, but I had no shot since his body was in a crease in the hill. A smaller bull came by, postured at my bull and headed after the cows. I was about to sneak up to finish him off when a third bull appeared. Finally, he left and I threw caution to the wind knowing that the bull was in bad shape and if he tried to run when I would have a very clear shot at him. When I popped up he stood and I was able to finish him off.

DSCF0142_zpscdmgpfmn.jpg

This is what he looked like once I got to him. I had hit him all three times I shot at him from a distance (2 shots about 5 inches apart in the pocket just perfect and one high and 18 inches back). The 130 grain TTSX did not come out the other side (shots were in the right side). The first two shots at least were about perfect broadside and didn’t exit.

DSCF0143_zpsntmdhzna.jpg

I was able to get Jen on the radio and they headed up to meet me to get a couple quarters off the mountain that evening.

I went down to meet them and once we all got to the elk it was dark and started to rain. I quick pitched the tarp and got a fire going with Gus and we had a splendid night (actually it was pretty uncomfortable on the slope, but it was dry under the tarp we had plenty of wood and the night was still). The slope was so steep that I drove pegs into the ground to put our feet on to keep from sliding down the hill (dog did not like the slope at all). Alternative was to move the tarp to a flatter spot, but the ground would be wet and we would get wet moving. It was uncomfortable, but the best option since conditions stayed calm. Jen and I got up at 5 am to break the elk down.

DSCF1670_zpslhxfn5je.jpg

Grip and Grin at midnight after it stopped raining, as horrible as the pic is, I think it conveys the mood well. I also pulled the hide off the top side to get the meat cooling.

DSCF1675_zpsbjvdanso.jpg

Rainbow the next morning over our shelter and elk quartering carnage on the hillside. It took us the next two/three days to get the meat and antlers off the mountain and the 3 miles to the strip.

DSCF1680_zpszkypu6kv.jpg

Skinning/stripping the skull.

DSCF0149_zpsamjda6fi.jpg

OP
Tod osier

Tod osier

WKR
Jen with meat and antlers.

DSCF0158_zps1ib4bsjc.jpg

Last trip! Almost to the bottom at dusk.

DSCF0160_zps8ldbooce.jpg

Because it was warm (in the 70s), we called the pilot on the sat phone to get the meat and we set up camp by a stream to clean and reorganize gear.

DSCF0174_zpsh0sxfuzi.jpg

We could have flown out with the meat, but we wanted to spend the rest of the 2 weeks in the backcountry, so we packed up and headed out. New camp.

DSCF0273_zps8ft0ha2a.jpg

We got some grouse hunting in and Gus was able to get us dinner.

DSCF0197_zpsqhhxcbap.jpg

Fall equinox dinner. Instant stuffing and potatoes with grouse in butter and bourbon – worked.

DSCF0205_zpsrdiuophd.jpg

The plane on the way out.

DSCF1752_zpshtjftwam.jpg

Meat went to Utah in a freezer for pick up on our way back home in November, but we did keep the backstraps to eat on the road.

DSCF0357_zpsnqwywphj.jpg

All in all, a great hunt. I didn’t experience a lot of the different aspects of elk hunting that I’d hoped to, but it sure gave me enough of a taste to know I’ll be doing it again!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazing trip Todd it'll last a lifetime of memories for the whole family

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FreeRange

WKR
What an epic trip and how special for your boy. I can say from doing similar trips with my dad starting as a youngster those are my most cherished memories, more than any christmas gift or trip to Disneyland by far. He's a lucky kid and likewise you're a lucky guy that they stuck it out for 2 weeks in the Frank with you, way to go.

Wow, speechless for the emotions this brought to me. Reminds me of my childhood and why I love the outdoors. Good on you for making those memories with your boy!! Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

njdoxie

WKR
nice read, enjoyed it, very few get an elk their 1st time out, you beat some pretty serious odds.... question...if the first 2 shots hit in the boiler room, how did the elk not die from that?

LostArra

WKR
Awesome trip. Thanks for taking the time to write and post the pics.

Last photo: Backstrap and what looks to be a Deschutes? My favorite combo.