Best Elk hunting dates for 10 day Hunt for 2017 Archery season

Let me ask for your opinions:

I have to put in for my vacation in advance to secure my work schedule. Here is my question:

If you were to come in from out of state (i.e. a non-resident) and you could only hunt a 10-14 day hunt to include travel days what days would you pick to hunt this year?

If you take Corey Jacobson's explanation for hunting the pre-rut (available at elk101, elk university and on gritty bowmen podcast) and you take his supposition that he likes to hunt the pre-rut to call bulls in as his preference instead of the actual "rut" itself when heard bulls are with cows - he states he likes the September 15th time frame (September 22 is autumnal equinox - 4-7 days either side of it when cows are in estrus). He likes to hunt the pre-rut when elk are susceptible to calling elk.

This year the full moon is on September 6th. New moon is on September 20th.

When is the best time to hunt this year to optimize the 10 day hunting vacation?

Sept 8th thru 17th
September 12-24th or
September 15-26th.

I would be interested to hear your opinions and reasoning.

Thank you,
J.

My target dates for 2017 are the 8th-17th. It gives the woods a chance to calm down after the Memorial Day weekend warriors, there's not as many people as there will be the next 2 following weeks, and for me there's more options on how to hunt animals.

Rentuh01

FNG
I posted up a very similar post a few days ago. My main concern is that muzzleloader season falls during that 8th to 17th timeframe. I'm interested to see what others say in response to this. I don't want to run into any of the issues I have read about (calling in an elk and someone shooting it with a ML, gun shy elk on the run etc.).

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate muzzleloader season but hunting the last of season gives elk a chance to work themselves into a frenzy where they don't care about anything but a single cow. These elk are stupid and even I can kill a stupid elk

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
As long as I am in the woods September 19 - 22, I don't care.
Of your dates I go with the 15th to the 26th.

danarnold

WKR
Same dilemma here, last year on public land in Colorado I got my bull on the 7th they weren't very vocal at all, the only bugling I heard was right before I found the one I shot.

When the orange army showed up a couple days later it was not much fun, there was one asshole in particular jamming Cake by the ocean at 3:30 am on his Polaris as loud as it would go on his way to his spot.
There were quite a few of them just hunting off of the main roads but some did venture in deeper from what I saw.
We only stayed through Saturday after ML started.

The last several years archery hunting I usually made two weeks available to go and usually killed out later than I did in 2016, previous years I also went to Montana or Wyoming and didn't see hardly any hunters compared to Colorado

DEHusker

WKR
Agreed - ML falling right in the middle of archery really really blows for us archery guys in CO. I feel like it creates 2 sep archery seasons in CO. IMO, the last few days before ML starts and the last few days of the season are always the best for me. Sure wish ML was after archery season, esp since it seems like the rut is generally later in Sept than in years past.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Am I missing something as the dates I see for CO archery elk for 2017 are Aug. 26–Sept. 24. I see suggestions on hunting after the 24th but from what I see the season is closed for archery

Am I missing something as the dates I see for CO archery elk for 2017 are Aug. 26–Sept. 24. I see suggestions on hunting after the 24th but from what I see the season is closed for archery

The OP didn't refer to just Colorado.

I would either go the first week of the season or the last week. I know hunting a full moon is tough, but it is what it is. The first week the elk will still be high and be less pressured, while the last week the bulls will be more likely to be more active, even in pressured areas. I hunt all through the season, but the first and last weeks are my favorites. Here in Colorado, they are almost 2 different seasons for me. Just my opinion.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It totally depends on what kind of hunt you're looking for. You can call in big bulls earlier in the season before they cow up. You can sit water holes or wallows earlier in the season in the heat and have a great chance of shooting something. Bulls are easy to call in early, but they normally come in silent. Or you can go later and experience more bugling action (depending where you are). Herd bulls are more challenging then, but there's more bugling. Just depends what you're looking for.

dvldoc1

FNG
I'm elk hunting for the first time, northern CO from 18 Oct to 31 Oct, public land with a couple buddies. Will the elk still respond to bugling or cow calls, and what elevation will a majority of them most likely be found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahlgringo

WKR
I'm elk hunting for the first time, northern CO from 18 Oct to 31 Oct, public land with a couple buddies. Will the elk still respond to bugling or cow calls, and what elevation will a majority of them most likely be found?

What season runs from Oct 18-31? 2nd rifle is the 21-29. And no from my experience they will usually not respond to calls at that time.