Flattops Wilderness Guides

Anyone have any experience with this outfit? Looking to possibly do a drop camp with a group through these guys.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Best thing you can do is ask the outfitter for a list of references... They will be glad to give you a list.. Keep in mind these are people the outfitter liked and were more then likely successful. When you call these people have a list of questions that require some thought and more drawn out responses... More so then simple yes and no type questions... Things like " What was the outfitters stock like? " What unforeseen things happened on your trip that could of been avoided? "How did the outfitter care for your meat and trophy?" " What did you learn from the outfitter that you didn't know before hand?" Things like this will give you a much broader picture then questions like "Were you happy with the outfitter?" These type of simple Yes and no questions don't always paint a picture of what your experience will be like.... Good luck and Drop camps are fun and good way to learn an area.

OP
A
thanks for the advice Under H2O; some people in my potential group have already reached out and are asking questions.

Anyone else with first hand experience through them. Good guys to be around? success on the hunt? whether that be seeing them, but preferably taking one? Guides willing to share some experience/knowledge?

Bfcayson

FNG
I've talked to cliff on several occassions, real up front, set some realistic expectations. We've been doing drop camps in NM for the past 3 seasons and will be going with them if we are not successful in the draw. Have not been with him but look forward too if the opportunity presents its self. Also, check out the jay Scott podcast, and search for flat top wilderness, he has interviewed cliff gray on several occasions, gives you some insight and dialogue on what he has to offer.

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
I would get a list of unsuccessful groups too. Everybody will sing the Guides praises if they are successful. I think you would get a balanced view that way. Granted, some guys aren't going to be happy no matter how good the services were.