New Year "New Season"

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure you guys are getting anxious, so here's an update.

Heading to Best Buy before the week-end to get a new video camera. That will allow me to start doing some video updates/reviews.

In the very short term you will see my initial thoughts on Crispi Wyoming boots, MTN OPS supplements, and a couple of new Spot Hogg sights. I'll also have a short piece on the Solid Broadhead, 100 grain model. Beyond that I'll be posting my body composition stats, and an overview of my workouts. It's going to be a busy week-end! Updates will come here, Rosklide Youtube, and Instagram.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm getting questions about how I workout and my training regimen. Here is a summary of last week.

Saturday - 21 mile XC Skate ski and 30 minutes of Core work.
Sunday - 60 minute Spin/Strength class and another 45 minutes of lifting.
Monday - 7 mile XC Skate ski and 20 minutes of Core work.
Tuesday - 75 minutes of lifting 10 minutes of stability work on Bosu ball.
Wednesday - 7 miles of XC Skate Ski and 90 minutes of spin class
Thursday - 213 flights of stairs on the Stairmill with 40# in my Kifaru, 5000 meters on the rowing machine.
Friday - 10.2 miles XC Skate ski, hills and technique work.
Saturday - 60 minutes lifting, 30 minutes core work.
Sunday - 60 minute spin/strength class.

As the ski season finishes up I'll replace that work with more biking, add swimming back, and lift more. In the about 2 weeks I'll spend much more time in the woods starting to shed hunt, spring scout, and then right into deer season.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
c1f059d8d2bd203353eb601e703f985e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I stated before I'm just a fat kid from WI that loves to hunt out West. For most of my life I've been around that 35% bodyfat range. I've gotten down to 11% (155# range), but had zero muscle. As an endurance athlete ( athlete used very loosely here) I have a hard time maintaining muscle while putting on hundreds of miles per week in peak training season. A big part of this project is to see what I can do with my body through this calendar year. I'm hoping to get down close to that 12% range and build lean muscle. MTN OPS has been a great sponsor of Rokslide and has agreed to help sponsor this thread. Late January I was in and had body composition numbers recorded. In the photo above I attached those stats. About every 90 days I'll get those numbers checked re-post for comparison. The left numbers are my actual bodyfat in MM measured at certain points. I'll include the areas in the next check so you can see where they fall. The right number is in inches at those particular body parts. The goal is to see the left go down and the right go up. It will take some trial and error but we'll ride it out and see what happens.

At any point in time feel free to post or ask questions.

Right now I am using the Multi-Vmen, Enduro, Magnum, and Yeti.

ALL PRODUCTS – MTN OPS

ElkNut1

WKR
Les, great goals there & workout! Do you ever rest! (grin) I'll be keeping an eye on your progress, thanks for sharing!

ElkNut1

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
e253a3adf0ea67618d3d1c2b55a3ae25.jpg

The three knives that I carry with me Elk hunting. Two in my kill kit, one on my person. Some will think it's overkill, but this works great for me. Gerber with the round nose blade for skinning, Havalon Piranta for multi-use, Gerber with a heavy duty shingle hook for cape cuts and ringing the quarters. 2 extra blades for Piranta, 1 extra blade each for the other two.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
New Year "New Season"

****Heads Up Decoy giveaway*****

Go to the Rokslide Youtube page and watch new video about HUD. Garrett has offered to giveaway a new turkey decoy for the upcoming spring season. We'll draw the winner on February 28th. 3 simple rules.

Video link YouTube

The IG post:

Instagram

1) Follow HUD, Rokslide, and myself on Instagram.
2) Tag a friend on my Instagram post and comment done. Enter as many times as you like.
3) Follow along here and leave feedback of what you would like to see reviewed, talked about, etc.

Simple

Instagram links

Rokslide (@rokslide) • Instagram photos and videos
Heads Up Decoy (@headsupdecoy) • Instagram photos and videos
Les Welch (@les_welch_) • Instagram photos and videos

Last edited:

DIY HNTR

FNG
Hi Les,
I'm 40 years old, new to elk hunting and live in Georgia. I just bought my first frame and pack from Kifaru and can't wait to start getting in shape for elk hunting. I have a year or so to get ready as I'm still saving to buy the rest of my gear. My first hunt will probably be an OTC Colorado hunt for practice. I don't expect to kill anything my first time and want to get some experience under my belt before going on a bonus point draw hunt. I started applying for points in several states last year. I'm trying to figure out a good starter exercise program to get in shape for out west hunting. I'm not overweight, just a little out of shape. The Heads up Decoy is one of the items on my gear list to get before I go elk hunting. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
New Year "New Season"

Crap! I shouldn't have read this. Now I really gotta get more serious with the fitness program.

You're a brave man Les

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is pretty good thread and very motivating. Like most guys I've slacked off over the holiday season but have cleaned up my diet since the first of the year and am down 15 lbs with 10-15 to go to be at my target weight. Going to hit some light pack cardio/shed hunting today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Les,
I'm 40 years old, new to elk hunting and live in Georgia. I just bought my first frame and pack from Kifaru and can't wait to start getting in shape for elk hunting. I have a year or so to get ready as I'm still saving to buy the rest of my gear. My first hunt will probably be an OTC Colorado hunt for practice. I don't expect to kill anything my first time and want to get some experience under my belt before going on a bonus point draw hunt. I started applying for points in several states last year. I'm trying to figure out a good starter exercise program to get in shape for out west hunting. I'm not overweight, just a little out of shape. The Heads up Decoy is one of the items on my gear list to get before I go elk hunting. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome to the addiction :) Once you get this first one under your belt it will be game on!

I'll give you a few thoughts I have.

1) Go into every hunt with the mindset you are going to kill something. I mean when it comes right down to it, that's why we are ultimately there.

2) Have a plan with what you would be satisfied with....don't get in the moment and then be wishy washy, those moments that you have to "seal the deal" are generally very quick and short lived. Be ready and execute when given that opportunity.

3) Use the search function for this and the fitness forum. You'll learn a ton. There's lots of good info and people here.

4) If you have questions ask away, I'll try and help, as will many others.

DIY HNTR

FNG
Thanks for the input Les. I think I read that you're from Wisconsin. I'm from Northern Wisconsin by the way. Lived there my whole life up until 5 years ago. In enjoying the warmer weather down here in GA and the deer hunting here is awesome! Rifle season is 2 1/2 months long!

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dean Elbe ring a bell? Friend of mine that lives in Antigo, small world.

DIY HNTR

FNG
I don't know him, but my name is also Dean lol. I am close friends with some of the Welch families in Antigo. But they probably aren't related?

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Point Season, it's open. In fact it's kind of approaching Peak Rut :)

Lots of guys asking on multiple threads ideas for point strategies. People sometimes imply/suggest that I have unlimited time/funds to hunt the way I do. Not true. I have a modest income from a decent job. I do have kids as well. It's all about priorities. I don't golf, bowl, or things of the like. Besides family time, I spend my time almost exclusively working, hunting, training, outdoors related, or planning. I'll give you a quick run down of how I apply and what my strategy is. There isn't a right or wrong strategy, this is just what works for me. I also understand by doing this I may get more people applying in certain states or areas, which can be frustrating, but in the long run is really what we are after. More hunters.

Wyoming, first draw of the year. Always apply, always take a point if I don't draw. $50 per elk point, $40 deer, $30 antelope.

Utah - I have 9 points and apply for the tag on years that I know I don't have a "for sure" tag coming. Point only other years. $35 per point

AZ - Point every year, and apply for the tag on the same scenario as Utah. $160ish for a point, yearly.

NM - There are no points in NM, so home run unit every year regardless of anything else.

CO - 4 points currently. I usually only save 1-2 points before burning here. The way my tags have drawn, I haven't been able to use these.

Nevada - 4 points, only points so far to this point.

ID, MT are just OTC or leftover as needed.

Regardless of nothing I apply for tags in WY and NM every year. There is a chance to draw tags in those states every year.

Very short and brief, but it's what I do. Check out Randy Newberg's podcast on elk hunting every year if you want a really indepth breakdown.

If anyone has questions, post away.