New Year "New Season"

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
1e818c7e0d7bedd96e00a2763eb26622.jpg

After each of the challenges and the 200 yard run, the shot was harder to make than one would think. I always took about 20 seconds at the line to pull my HR down and get composed before the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
20d1806f85ddbdae8de45403fc1986f6.jpg

My last arrow, 10 yards from the finish line, after a 100 yard climb up. I pulled this arrow back a little and it ended up costing me the podium.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ended up having a pretty good challenge course and meat pack. Enough that I qualified for Nationals. I believe it was the second fastest in my heat, and the fastest in my division by about 5 minutes.

Having dug myself the 11 minute hole and pulling my last arrow out of the 10 ring had me just missing the podium, by less than a minute. If I would have had 3 of those errant 10 arrows in the morning be better, I would have been first place. Coulda, shoulda, woulda! Ha ha, we had a blast regardless. I can't wait for the next one, and highly recommend anyone to try one.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do a lot of fitness stuff. Triathlons, biking, lifting, now this TTH, etc. First and foremost it's always about my health. Following that it's about being better in the mountains. I love competition with others.......regardless of where I or someone else finish, I don't think anyone is "better" than someone else. There will always be a better time and a worse time. Thing is we are all of differing abilities, goals, and backgrounds. Don't let the fear of "not winning" deter you from doing events or competitions.

If I was truly serious about "winning" I would have sat down and watched/studied/and relaxed through the first 5 rounds. No way. I was on my feet cheering, motivating, and maybe heckling :p the other competitors. When I was done I was back down the course looking for my newly made friends and cheering them all on. Side by side with these guys giving words of motivation.

This was a great group of men, women, and youth. Lots of competitors out there motivating, cheering, and pushing.

Get out there, push yourself, try something new, meet new people, and expand your horizon's. You won't be sorry.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
So true, Les! Hunting is usually such a solitary sport, it's nice being able to connect, meet new people, and make new friends at these events. Congrats on the great comeback!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds intense! I had no clue what those events were all about

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I'll come up next year and give it a shot too. I wanted to go to Texas tth this year but work got in the way, stupid work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to back up a little and finish up the bear trip here....

After getting my bear out, gutted and cooling, supper, and back to the cabin it was after 3am when I got to bed. We got up around 7:30 and headed for breakfast at the main cabin. It was fun BS'ing with the group, but once the food was gone, it was time for the guides/hunters to check baits and for us to pack up.

First thing we did was get the Yeti's out and split the ice up. Added the bears in and then stowed them in the truck. It was a 12 hour drive back home and I wanted to get on the road ASAP, but Hunter wanted to shoot some fish. I told him we would pack the truck up and see what time it as. We finished packing and got the cabin cleaned out at 11:30. Lunch was served at 2. We made the agreement to go shoot until 1:55, come back and eat with everyone, then hit the road. Wow, did we shoot fish. There were fish literally spawning/flopping on the road. It was crazy. We were blood, guts, and spawn covered and before we knew it, it was time to eat.

We had a great lunch and chat session with the group. Upon finishing lunch we said our goodbyes and headed the truck towards the states. Pulling into the driveway at 3 am.

It was an all around successful trip. Spring bear hunting is something I believe I will put on list most years from here out.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
0fd850f90ce378a8b70c4db9aeaa9dd8.jpg

Some of the necessities for the Total Archery Challenge in Michigan. MTNOPS, Kifaru, Sitka, Mathews, Dark Energy, Yeti, and Crispi.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
915386d5cc0d29e0fb9b957b2fb98fab.jpg

2 summits of Boyne Mountain tonight. Solo as nobody else wanted to play. Sitka/MTN OPS/Gritty hike tomorrow night.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I liked following the bear hunt. Was like being there. Thanks Les for taking the time to take a buncha desk-bound jockeys along.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
TAC was a huge blast. 100+ targets set up on a ski mountain. Shots well over 100 yards, with probably a 45 yard average. Great practice, and lots of miles walked.

As always with events like this we met some great people and had an amazing time. I'll post up a few pics.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
293fa4ba50e143693de88a0185da2757.jpg

Got a group together for night 2 summits. We got 4 summits in. About 50# in the Kifaru. 400' climb in about 1250 length. Brutal.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
TAC was a huge blast. 100+ targets set up on a ski mountain. Shots well over 100 yards, with probably a 45 yard average. Great practice, and lots of miles walked.

As always with events like this we met some great people and had an amazing time. I'll post up a few pics.

Love the TAC shoots. Very close to typical western hunting scenarios

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
[video=youtube_share;7UbjciQUMZw]https://youtu.be/7UbjciQUMZw[/video]

Short video of recovering Hunter's elk last year. The bull only went 150 yards, but it was a long few hours of many highs and lows. We backpacked over 5 miles into a wilderness area for this hunt. 6x6 bull on a public land, DIY, backcountry wilderness hunt at 13 years old. Doesn't get much better.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
[video=youtube_share;AJr0vUyA3tQ]https://youtu.be/AJr0vUyA3tQ[/video]

Short rehash of what happened in first couple minutes, then a sparse blood trail after the rain and ice storm. The shot was great, so the lack of blood is pretty eye opening after the storm. On a marginal shot this bull might not have had a chance of being recovered. 3rd bull in a week to ride in my Kifaru AMR.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
New Year "New Season"

4ab2e9cf241031ae4d28c1cf6eae7334.jpg

It's been a good year for drawing tags! Iowa bound this fall.