New Year "New Season"

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
d4211a3ccf5c466ff3df1c4e08ba7c31.jpg

Chicken in a biscuit. One of my backcountry treats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How are the Danner pronghorns holding up and how are they for hunting in the mountains?

They're called "Pronghorns" for a reason. Flip flops have more support than the Pronghorn uppers.

I've never hated a single piece of gear more than those Pronghorns. I wore them one day elk hunting, then figured I'd use them around home. NOT. You couldn't give me another pair. I'd rather wear tennis shoes while hunting.......or working around home. No support, no traction, very uncomfortable.

But I know how kid's feet grow. When I was in 7th grade my parents bought me a pair of Adidas shoes. Within two weeks my feet had grown so much, they separated the toe caps from the rest of the shoe. My mom swore she was going to wrap my feet in burlap bags for shoes until they stopped growing.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you add something to it or eat it as a side to a mtn house? And is that a full bag or split into portions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's a half bag. I eat with a single serving mountain house.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
605ca2989956fdd39fe98214fe58d858.jpg

I'm trying to get out elk hunting gear ready and this kid is fishing like crazy every day. Biggest Brown I've ever saw out of our small local small stream.

ljalberta

WKR
Seeing this makes we wanna step up my food game. Thanks for the ideas. I'm heading out in 8 days, so I'm enjoying following along as I do my own prep.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been out of service for the last few days enjoying my last vacation of the year. Now it's time to get down to work.

Last night's workout was teaching one hour of Strength Yoga, and then backing it up with 50 minutes of lifting. PR'd Triceps, Chest, and Back. I'm feeling good for elk season!

Shooting tonight, more gear prep, and working out. I'll start dropping gear pics.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
6b799a6622dc19182f10f9187255d00c.jpg

I guess you could say things are getting serious. Swim and shoot last night. 2 hour bike today and then more gear organizing.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Picked up my final food this morning, we'll finish final sealing tonight, and get most of the packaging done.

Yesterday was an expensive day. Ordered a new Slick 634 carbon spotter and Benro S2 head from S&S, they shipped this morning. Picked up a Peak Designs clip and UL Jimmy cover for my A6000.

Only a couple more things on the "need" list and we'll be good to go.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
f10efe777eadfe9815af591ba8c23819.jpg

Swapped out the Woodsman for the Reckoning. Next up is putting the Tahr on a 26" frame from Hunters current 24" frame. He's grown 9" since the last hunt

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
e1e7c60ec66a82c3e4d153220f88a9ea.jpg

This will hopefully be my link to the outside world and allow me to get updates out to you guys following along while I'm in the Gila.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
05e28e0efe69c6ff0c3a6b201fe904f0.jpg

Peak Designs clip and Jimmy tarps UL cover for the A6000 showed up last night.

MIKEYB

WKR
Where do you plan on mounting that bad boy?

Have you shot with it on? I want to rig mine to mount on the belt so it carries better.

Hows the weight on the peak designs? I have a knock off brand someone gave me, that thing is heavy duty and heavy. One thing for me is the QM plate is not interchangeable with the Outdoorsmans head.

Love my Inreach, hardly use my GPS anymore. GPS seems to have more points of interest. make sure you download aerial/Sat maps to the device your using. They came in handy on my scout trip. also and maybe Im missing something, but my Ipad was in ariplane mode and not connected to the inreach but the explorer app had me pinpointed on the map. . .thought that was cool.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where do you plan on mounting that bad boy?

Have you shot with it on? I want to rig mine to mount on the belt so it carries better.

Hows the weight on the peak designs? I have a knock off brand someone gave me, that thing is heavy duty and heavy. One thing for me is the QM plate is not interchangeable with the Outdoorsmans head.

Love my Inreach, hardly use my GPS anymore. GPS seems to have more points of interest. make sure you download aerial/Sat maps to the device your using. They came in handy on my scout trip. also and maybe Im missing something, but my Ipad was in ariplane mode and not connected to the inreach but the explorer app had me pinpointed on the map. . .thought that was cool.

I'm thinking mounting on right side of belt, will test some options this weekend.

No I haven't done anything yet, it just came in last night. I'll weigh it and play with it tonight/this week-end. It's definitelyheavier than I anticipated though.

Thanks for the tips. I'll also play with the InReach this week-end and try and figure the intricacies out. Looking forward to this.