New Year "New Season"

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
New Year "New Season"

Les: "If I was tag teaming it would be very doable. Put on 10 miles today and moved camp. Have to haul water or drink pond water,ick.
Very tough country. 10-15 miles per day. Lots of elevation.The burn and blow down make it tough. Both moving and setting up on bulls.
Targeting Dragon for two more days, then it's a different ball game. Les Welch"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
New Year "New Season"

Les: "Was 150 from a nice herd bull with 12 cows.1 young 6x flanking. Something spooked them and they headed across burn. No way to keep up.
Regrouping and looking for some small bowls. Wind is in the 20-30mph range. Can't hear anything in the big areas and trees are falling like matchsticks. Les Welch"

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Finally heard from Les this morning:

"Long day. 20+ miles. That included pack out to resupply. I made a tactical error on a bull this morning. However I'm not sure if he was a shooter.
Very little bugling since yesterday morning, which has been a huge change from the other days. It seemed like the alcove moved on.
That said, I just got in and putting my gear away, I can hear 4 -5 bulls bugling around my tent. It appears they are back in the day 1 drainage. Les Welch"

I'm feeling something's going to happen!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Les: "Unbelievable! Today was the most amazing day I've ever had in the elk woods. Covered up from before light and all day with bugling bulls. Hundreds of bugles. Les Welch."

Pretty cool, he stuck it out through the tough start and now look. This is getting real.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Wind is in the 20-30mph range. Can't hear anything in the big areas and trees are falling like matchsticks. Les Welch"

That's what I experienced all week this week.......makes for some tough hunting. Reminded me of the last week in 2013 after two glorious weeks of chasing bugling bulls. I watched Aspens snap in half, and beetlekill pines falling left and right. Hope the wind dies down and the bugles continue for him.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmmmmm, I have not heard from Les since Friday. A little worrisome. Anyone else hear anything?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les posted a reply in the iron will thread an hour ago. Hopefully he'll throw us an update here soon

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Les, you’re like a bad date. you want me when you want me but as soon as you’re done with me, you just leave me out to dry and everyone else knows what’s going on. Go figure.

Looking forward to updates

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Les, you’re like a bad date. you want me when you want me but as soon as you’re done with me, you just leave me out to dry and everyone else knows what’s going on. Go figure.

Looking forward to updates

Haha!

Thanks for getting the updates up Robby. Much appreciated.

It's been a hectic few days. This body is sore, tired, and ready for some recovery.

I think we're going to have a little fun with this. Nobody knows what happened so it should be fun!!

Details to come.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Haha..... BUT who doesn't like free stuff??

MIKEYB

WKR
I know what happened!!!! I am not above bribery. . . . .although I was sworn to secrecy. . . .the payment of graham crackers and marshmallows never made it to my camp. ;)

I know what happened!!!! I am not above bribery. . . . .although I was sworn to secrecy. . . .the payment of graham crackers and marshmallows never made it to my camp. ;)
You should have held out for chocolate too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MIKEYB

WKR
You should have held out for chocolate too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Claims of no chocolate were plentiful. . . . I was prepared to improvise with almond snickers, although payment never materialized.

Not to be a push over I countered with threats to order a pizza to the trail head and hike out to get it.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Season's done, truck is home. Going to do a little giveaway and have some fun while finishing up these hunt updates. So the last update I texted Robby was crazy. I was in the bulls big time. I was into the first herd well before daylight (60 minutes) and I just had to tuck into some downfall and try not to get stepped on. I had 4 different bulls inside of 40 yards along with numerous cows and calves BEFORE daylight. They were bugling, raking, mewing, lip bawling, everything but clashing horns. It was crazy. Unfortunately they were headed South before daylight and I couldn't keep up. They split up to different drainages, fingers, and canyons. They bugled all day long though and I heard hundreds of bugles. It was insane. It made every cut, scrape, scratch, bruise and cracked rib worth it......Yes, cracked rib. On Tuesday I got caught in a windstorm out in the burn. There is nothing in the woods that has ever bothered me to this point. Fresh burns in 30-40 mph wind will do it every time now though. I was trying to get out of the new burn and got caught up in some downfall. Twisted up and fell landing my right side rib cage onto a downed tree with a protruding branch. Got a small puncture wound and 4 cracked ribs.