New Year "New Season"

JPD350

WKR
I am going to say no bull but you had the hunt of a lifetime! it's an easy place to be surrounded by screaming bulls and never get a shot.

If you did get one he is going to be badass, very seldom is there ground shrinkage in the Gila!

I'm going with the 'go big or go home' theory, especially with the broken ribs. And I'm going to say you got close, but never got a shot off on the big guy.

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
So, just for fun, I'll say yes you got a bull.

That is my final answer, but based on your last update, I question whether you were able to catch up to the herd after they moved off, esp. with the cracked ribs.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I'm going to say yes, and you cracked the ribs WHILE packing out. Added weight is what slammed you into the downfall enough to crack 4 ribs? But being a badass you went back to finish the job!

MIKEYB

WKR
Last I saw you didn't have an elk you killed,but maybe there is more to the story. I'M rolling the dice. Did you kill an elk? Yes.

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
If you carried out an elk with cracked ribs im seriously impressed! Not sure I could handle that pain. Ill say no Elk just because of that but hope Im wrong. Cant wait to hear the rest. Good luck with the whitetails.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
A couple more hours to get your votes in.

So some of you guys know Mike, and if you follow my thread to here you've heard me talk about Mike. He's my elk hunting buddy. Also spend some time dear hunting together. Well his mom passed away and the funeral just got over. So he's headed to a tree tonight and I'm headed down and going to film my brother Hunt tonight. So hopefully we'll have a little update later of some sort or another. This will be my first sit in a tree in Wisconsin this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
My brother hunts a mixture of public and private in an area of high deer concentration . Amongst the family there will be a lot of does taken just to try to maintain the buck to doe ratio much less improve it. We hung another stand in a pinch point between a creek bottom that they travel headed out to a beanfield.

There has been blood shed.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those who guessed yes. You are correct. I shot a bull out of his bed at 32 yards. Very cool hunt. Last part of the contest will determine the winner. Yes I know it will be purely random, because you haven't seen any pictures yet and you won't until final guesses are in Monday night at 7 PM. Just guess the score you think the bull is. If you guessed yes, throw your score in by 7 CST Monday night.

twall13

WKR
Sweet, congrats Les! Let's go with a 345" bull.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
c46d586ed90ffecdb43d84b9fa0c1eb1.jpg

This is the doe my brother shot last night. 3 yard shot, 25 yard recovery. I'll get some video up from it in the next couple weeks.