5-10 year plan... AZ or NV? somewhere else?

Beendare

WKR
Nevada squares your bonus points....which I think is the fairest system.

I'm sitting at 18 points in Nev for elk.....i started trying to draw at about 12.....

OP
bojangles808
Nevada squares your bonus points....which I think is the fairest system.

I'm sitting at 18 points in Nev for elk.....i started trying to draw at about 12.....

does nevada list how many points it took to draw __ unit last year? having trouble finding that on their dlnr website

Beendare

WKR
does nevada list how many points it took to draw __ unit last year? having trouble finding that on their dlnr website

it doesn't work that way bro....every year it will be different, nothing to derive from who drew the previous year. They square your bonus points so a guy with 1 has one. A guy with 12 has 144...chances that is..... of drawing the tag. So theoretically a guy can draw on his first app.

My problem; I was thinking as my points grew exponentially, my chances would increase. Ugh uh, the problem is; everybody elses chances grew exponentially too.......right along with me.

The whole problem with starting these draws now is really that the cat is out of the bag...and elk hunting has become extremely popular due to all of the videos. If you have the dough to chunk out a few hundred bucks every year for the licenses in a couple states for 10-20 yrs, go for it. If that is a problem, then just hunt OTC units every year and be that much richer.

excaliber

WKR
With Nevada's draw system you have a chance to draw the best tags with only 1 point. I know it's a slim chance but if you look at all the hunts plenty of people draw every year with very few points while people with 12+ points did not draw. Nevada to me is the best draw system there is. It's a true Bonus Point system.

Arizona is a different game now. With the bonus pool cut in half those tags taken from the bonus pool go into the regular draw. The problem is they are not automatically guaranteed for NR's. Residents could get these tags.

I'm a NR and I'm sitting on 15 Points for AZ Elk and 7 for Nevada elk. I'm holding out for a few units in AZ which I may never get to hunt. I'm not going to blow 15 points on Units 4,5,6 or 7. Should I decide to go Archery then it opens things up a bit. I don't like the AZ archery dates and I have been hopefully waiting for a change there.

I drew on nv last year after 2 years putting in. It was an epic hunt.
db80362279bffa191eabfa282c39aadf.jpg

I would say AZ, I have been lucky there and drawn several tags(5) over the past 20 years, the early archery hunts are hard to beat! My son got his first elk there last year and I drew this year on a random tag. I also drew in Nevada a few years back for a Oct rifle hunt, it was a successful hunt, but not as much fun as chasing them in the rut with a bow!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
^^ exactly

Hey, I know Im being a bad news bear on this but the guys saying, "5 to 10 years to draw a tag" are basing that on the old system...old info without accounting for Point Creep.

The lesser units; 4,5 and 6 are as easy to draw as they used to be...becuase of the creep. it took 8 points [ in BR] last year to draw U4 or U5. A few years ago they took 4-5 points. And a few years from now it will take 10-11. It takes a very long time to catch up....and all the while you are paying for the license.

If you have the dough to do it...no worries...and at least now you have a longshot chance of pulling a tag in the gen draw. But at$160 a yr for the license...plus tag fees...in 20 years you will be out appx $3500....and probably still no primo tag. If you get frustrated and shoot for a lesser unit like 4,5....its still going to be 15 years+ [maybe] if you are just starting now....$2400+

As Bob and I have pointed out.....when you have backlog of hundreds of guys and only a handful of tags trickling out every year...the backlog [point creep] grows. AZFG has maxed out their funding on the backs of non res hunter applicants.

Don't shoot the messenger....just trying to help new guys with accurate info.

This makes that San Carlos tag all the more attractive........even at $30k.;) On the other hand, that's a lot of pretty decent LO Tags. But a once in a lifetime hunt on the San Carlos would be pretty cool.