Idaho Elk 2017 Unit 39

nphunter

WKR
Hey guys. I've been hunting the late ID deer hunt for a couple years now and next year I am planning on doing the 39-3 hunt if I draw or the "B" tag elk hunt. I am trying to find a elk hunt where we can do it every year and find decent bulls too, I am trying to find a place to bring my boys in a couple years when they are old enough to hunt elk. My oldest is 10 and will be 11 this summer so he should be able to join in 2018. Here at home in NE OR they will only have a chance to Rifle hunt for branch bulls a couple times before they are adults (besides archery)

I grew up hunting out of an elk camp every year with my dad and grandparents here in North East Oregon and unfortantly here in Oregon the only thing we can do yearly is otc spike or apply for cow tags which would make it to where we could never draw branch bull tags.

Any advice on areas to check out, tips or tactics would be very much appreciated. We have been hunting elk for a long time here in Oregon and have done well but the last 10 years or so we haven't set up elk camp but two times and my boys have never been. This is something I loved growing up and want to be able to carry on the tradition for my kids.

I have spent some of my time up cottonwood backpacking or out by mountain home 39-3, only me and my buddy are going to come this year to check it out. I plan on staying one week hunting elk and then staying for the first week of late archery. I am not opposed to doing a different elk hunt in late Oct. or Early Nov. either but it seems like there is plenty of opportunity for decent bulls in 39 if a person works for it.

Thanks, Curtis

I'd avoid an OTC rifle tag that close to Boise. If I were limited to your options I'd look towards hunting the Devils instead of around the Boise River area.

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Thanks. Guess I'm not really limited, I can do whatever hunt I want. I would rather find a quality hunt I can do year after year than one that butts up to the deer hunt.

jasonw

FNG
There are definitely some way better OTC units in Idaho. Ive hunted unit 39 because its close to home and i grew up in the area. It used to be a good unit. There are still bulls to be had but the unit now is saturated with hunters out of boise, California, and everywhere else. I typically do backpack hunts and some of the areas I hunt are miles in but even those its hard to get away from people the unit used to be decent but now its really just a money maker for Fish and Game. Your better off in other over the counter units if you really want to set up an elk camp. I think unit 39 gets a lot of exposure in Idaho because so many newer hunters hunt it that are more vocal on social media and what not. Sure there are some bulls that come out of the unit every year but i bet just as many elk come out of other units in Idaho that nobody hears about.

Mtnboy

WKR
Here's a tip, if you want to set up an Elk Camp in that Unit...Get there early, next hardest thing to finding an elk to kill on that hunt will be finding a camping spot...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
nphunter

nphunter

WKR
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am not set on unit 39, it is just the only area i have hunted in ID besides the Frank Church and it will be a while before my boys can tackle something like that. I have also been looking into the Elk City Zone, I really am just looking for a good area that has ok access to take the boys and see some elk, hopefully some decent bulls too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You'll have to fend off the Washington hunters around Elk City. Gorgeous country, but wolf central for sure. Take your boys up there and buy some cheap wolf tags and help everyone out.

excaliber

WKR
It looked like the entire state of Washington must have moved their season to Idaho unit 39 last year. Every other vehicle had WA plates and I'm not kidding.

I saw elk everywhere I hunted in the unit last year.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It looked like the entire state of Washington must have moved their season to Idaho unit 39 last year. Every other vehicle had WA plates and I'm not kidding.

I saw elk everywhere I hunted in the unit last year.

You are not F***ing kidding! The smell of pot was strong in 39 last year:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ok, I just got a small novel of a PM about knocking on out of state hunting. I don't really care who hunts where!! But the number of Washingtonian plates I saw in 39 was staggering. Easily 3:1 over Idaho plates.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, I just got a small novel of a PM about knocking on out of state hunting. I don't really care who hunts where!! But the number of Washingtonian plates I saw in 39 was staggering. Easily 3:1 over Idaho plates.

It's way worse than that, I bet it's 10 to 1.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RAHC

FNG

I'll be completely honest. The IDFG should raise license and tag fees exponentially on non-resident hunters. These guys come here because we have general hunts and their state is ruined by either bonus points or some sort of shortened or antlered restricted season. I kind of feel bad for them but if you want to participate in our great hunting and fishing people should pony up or become a tax paying citizen of this great state. Im not saying dont come here and have a good time, but when our game department want to raise rates on in-state hunters I say pass it on to the out-of staters.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be completely honest. The IDFG should raise license and tag fees exponentially on non-resident hunters. These guys come here because we have general hunts and their state is ruined by either bonus points or some sort of shortened or antlered restricted season. I kind of feel bad for them but if you want to participate in our great hunting and fishing people should pony up or become a tax paying citizen of this great state. Im not saying dont come here and have a good time, but when our game department want to raise rates on in-state hunters I say pass it on to the out-of staters.
This is a ridiculous statement. I pay $1168 in tags a year to hunt idaho on top of the several meals at Restaurants and gas fill ups. Plus sometimes a hotel room for a night or two. I pay plenty to come hunt "PUBLIC LAND".

Your thinking is backwards

RAHC

FNG
Ridiculous hardly, Ill do my best to respond. Its not my problem or fault you pay X, Y, or Z to here or any where else you hunt that's your choice. I believe that if you come to hunt the game this state manages on Public or Private land and there are potential fee increases on the horizon then the non-resident should absorb those costs. I have no problem with you coming here, but if you already pay 1168 then paying 1188 shouldnt be a problem.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ridiculous hardly, Ill do my best to respond. Its not my problem or fault you pay X, Y, or Z to here or any where else you hunt that's your choice. I believe that if you come to hunt the game this state manages on Public or Private land and there are potential fee increases on the horizon then the non-resident should absorb those costs. I have no problem with you coming here, but if you already pay 1168 then paying 1188 shouldnt be a problem.

A $20 increase is not an exponential increase. I would not be opposed to that. If that were to happen, I'm going to pay it. But when the increase is somewhere similar to Montana where it cost me $900 to only hunt elk, then I tend to be against something that.

But if a increase is coming, non residents should not be the only ones to absorb the cost. If non residents stopped coming to hunt idaho, it would be not good long term.

We can agree to disagree on this.

Clarktar

WKR
Yep, this is played elsewhere also. Fishing home waters around here, you are likely to see Montana and Idaho plates out numbering WA ones mid-week.