Idaho Elk 2017 Unit 39

RAHC

FNG
A $20 increase is not an exponential increase. I would not be opposed to that. If that were to happen, I'm going to pay it. But when the increase is somewhere similar to Montana where it cost me $900 to only hunt elk, then I tend to be against something that.

But if a increase is coming, non residents should not be the only ones to absorb the cost. If non residents stopped coming to hunt idaho, it would be not good long term.

We can agree to disagree on this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Twenty dollars or Two Hundred dollars make no difference to me I firmly believe that non-residents should pick up that tab. I remember your Montana example it was extreme at the time but more and more people are coming back to that state to hunt as non-residents during the general OTC hunts. Maybe my point is not being made, we have general OTC opportunities throughout the state that residents and non-residents can enjoy. As residents we are the ones doing habitat enhancement projects, defending our current controlled hunt system, and attending local meetings. Residents do most of the bartering for the seasons we have and the access that we are afforded. In this current climate of Bonus Points there is an unnamed value placed on opportunity to hunt Public Lands on over the counter tags. People will always want to come here to hunt and that is fine but they need to realize the opportunity they have in front of them.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Twenty dollars or Two Hundred dollars make no difference to me I firmly believe that non-residents should pick up that tab. I remember your Montana example it was extreme at the time but more and more people are coming back to that state to hunt as non-residents during the general OTC hunts. Maybe my point is not being made, we have general OTC opportunities throughout the state that residents and non-residents can enjoy. As residents we are the ones doing habitat enhancement projects, defending our current controlled hunt system, and attending local meetings. Residents do most of the bartering for the seasons we have and the access that we are afforded. In this current climate of Bonus Points there is an unnamed value placed on opportunity to hunt Public Lands on over the counter tags. People will always want to come here to hunt and that is fine but they need to realize the opportunity they have in front of them.

I still strongly disagree with non residents picking up the whole cost increase. I get your point but its still not how it works.

I may not be able to attend meetings but I do what I can. I just RENEWED my Idaho State Bowhunters membership (group that raised funds to help feed deer and elk this winter) and while I was at it I went ahead and became a member of the Idaho Deer Alliance. All of this on top of the license, wolf tag, elk tag, 2 deer tags and controlled hunt fees I paid into for 2016.

I see where you are coming from, I respect you views on it, just disagree. Thanks for the civil discussion. Moving on.

Ridiculous hardly, Ill do my best to respond. Its not my problem or fault you pay X, Y, or Z to here or any where else you hunt that's your choice. I believe that if you come to hunt the game this state manages on Public or Private land and there are potential fee increases on the horizon then the non-resident should absorb those costs. I have no problem with you coming here, but if you already pay 1168 then paying 1188 shouldnt be a problem.

Fine. I will skip Idaho and go straight to Montana! Good luck:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
It's not just unit 39 being invaded. I hunted the McCall units for my second tag last year and there were as many out of state plates as in state.

KurtR

WKR
I hunted Mcall unit last year and where we went it was mostly Idaho people and california plates in the first area we talked to and they were really nice and helpfull. Next area we went with less motorized access we only saw four other people at the trail head and they were also from Idaho out hunting we saw no one else and elk. Didnt score but will be back next year. I guess crowed is what a guy is used to come to Sodak on opening weekend of pheasant season and there are more non res in the state than residents that live here. I talked to a guy at the gas station here before we left who happened to be from Boise i pointed him in the direction of some pheasants and he gave some good info on the elk hunting out there. This was during second week of rifle season.

NoWiser

WKR

Wow, you are extremely shortsighted.

RAHC

FNG
Wow, you are extremely shortsighted.

Shortsighted? Please Explain. I believe my comments are directed toward future rate increases and the potential pressure more hunters bring on our game populations, so shortsightedness need not apply.

njdoxie

WKR
but when our game department want to raise rates on in-state hunters I say pass it on to the out-of staters.

Good lord, should nonres hunters pay for every last thing? CO balances their budget on the back of nonres hunters, and 99.9% of residents don't lift a finger, I feel quite certain it works that way in ID too. I hope you hunt out of state one day and get slammed with some nasty nonres fees lol.

NoWiser

WKR
Shortsighted? Please Explain. I believe my comments are directed toward future rate increases and the potential pressure more hunters bring on our game populations, so shortsightedness need not apply.

Do you have any idea how much money is raised by out of state hunters donating to groups like RMEF, BHA, TRCP, and other conservation organizations? Much of this coming from states that don't even have elk. For every $1.00 I spend on NR tags, I bet I donate an equal amount or more to groups that help your herds. Lose NR hunters and you'll lose a lot more than just their tag fees. There is going to come a time when you'll be asking for help for something. If you keep pushing it, there will be nobody there.

Hell, I've never stepped foot in Idaho but I've emailed every state rep there stating my opposition to auction tags and preference points, even though, at my age, it would be the only state I'd be able to get in on the ground floor and take advantage of.

I can't wait to hunt Idaho some day. I just hope the resident hunters I meet will be a little more appreciative and welcoming.

541hunter

WKR
I wonder what the data shows. How much money is generated for fish and game from non-resident tag sales vs resident tag sales? According to this article Idaho sees drop-off in out-of-state hunters | The Spokesman-Review
it was a 50/50 split. Which would leave me to the assumption that out of staters are paying their part. This also takes into consideration that I would assume that the out of state half is a whole hell of a lot less people than the half of resident hunters.

Last edited:

Gobbler36

WKR
I'll be completely honest. The IDFG should raise license and tag fees exponentially on non-resident hunters. These guys come here because we have general hunts and their state is ruined by either bonus points or some sort of shortened or antlered restricted season. I kind of feel bad for them but if you want to participate in our great hunting and fishing people should pony up or become a tax paying citizen of this great state. Im not saying dont come here and have a good time, but when our game department want to raise rates on in-state hunters I say pass it on to the out-of staters.

Agreed

Mtnboy

WKR
In state, outta state...Doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer we all avoid blowing out Units by their number regardless of what state it's in.

The ol' Google tool has destroyed more than one of my spots in recent years....That's not even to mention the destruction if Eastman's or one of the other services catch wind of a solid unit.

Rant over...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
In state, outta state...Doesn't matter to me. I'd prefer we all avoid blowing out Units by their number regardless of what state it's in.

The ol' Google tool has destroyed more than one of my spots in recent years....That's not even to mention the destruction if Eastman's or one of the other services catch wind of a solid unit.

Rant over...

This too, I have hunted other states and simply don't mind NR fees, gotta pay to play. That's why I picked up my things in Florida and moved to Idaho

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ridiculous hardly, Ill do my best to respond. Its not my problem or fault you pay X, Y, or Z to here or any where else you hunt that's your choice. I believe that if you come to hunt the game this state manages on Public or Private land and there are potential fee increases on the horizon then the non-resident should absorb those costs. I have no problem with you coming here, but if you already pay 1168 then paying 1188 shouldnt be a problem.

Why? Because you as a resident, who haven't had your license fees go up in over 10 years, doesn't want to pay an additional 2 dollars for your license or tag? Get over yourself. Non resident hunters, who as a whole, are taxpayers funding the public lands that you recreate on, have the exact same right to be there as you do and no way in hell should they foot the whole expense because the good ol boys in Idaho can't cough up the amount of a large coffee for tag increases. NR hunters, and tourists, keep your entire state afloat. Hell, I work in Idaho and spend about five days a week there, buying gas, hotel rooms, meals, shopping etc etc. I probably spend as much as a lot of residents do. I still pay about 10 times as much as you do to hunt. You seriously want to turn Idaho into Montana? Go right ahead. When they start looking to make up the money they lose from NR license sales guess where they'll turn? To the residents. The state will get their money one way or the other.

Mtnboy

WKR
For what it's worth, most Idaho residents have been in favor of a Resident fee increase for a couple years now....We're being held hostage by political corruption.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
For what it's worth, most Idaho residents have been in favor of a Resident fee increase for a couple years now....We're being held hostage by political corruption.

Cannot stress the validity/importance of this statement.

Idaho F&G does not receive revenue from the general fund. Everything paid for by sportsmen, women, and youth license/tag fees.

Fish and Game legislative proposals returned to commission | Idaho Fish and Game

Almost all Idaho hunters and fisher-folks I know are in support of license increase to give F&G some more flexibility for wildlife management. Price lock has been presented in some shape or form to the Legislature and has yet to be approved.

Idaho Fish and Game Commission to Create a New Fee Proposal to Manage Big Game Depredation Impacts and Improve Hunting and Fishing Access | Idaho Fish and Game

It looks that even the new proposal will give 50% of our fees to private interests. While compensation for depredation may be justified, in many instances, private landowners use small tracts of ownership to block off vast quantities of public land. They do not allow any access to hunters ability to harvest. These private interests consistently lobby to public officials to then monetize wildlife with either direct compensation and/or landowner tags. Landowners should not have it both ways. Either provide legitimate access to sportsman/woman to hunt wildlife to limit depredation or continue to block access and absorb depredation as a cost of doing business.

The issue, my humble opinion, is not the residency of the hunters when it comes to funding for Idaho Wildlife. It is the inability for all stakeholders to come to the table and find a reasonable way to address all interests.

Anyone who hunts/fishes in Idaho should be contacting state officials to encourage better access to higher quality wildlife at a fair and reasonable expense.

To the original topic...last year I was in 39 for late season Archery Mule deer. Good opportunity to find and harvest elk. However, being so close to Boise does present many problems.

Highly recommend using the hunt-planner on Website. Lots of good and free information to look at statistics and evaluate options. Not sure the ages on children m, but looking at some of the youth hunts might be a great way to increase odds of harvest and reduce pressure.

I think some of you should spend a little less time counting license plates and more time hunting deer. I have had good success on elk and deer both in 39 but I'm usually not in any areas where I can count license plates

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think some of you should spend a little less time counting license plates and more time hunting deer. I have had good success on elk and deer both in 39 but I'm usually not in any areas where I can count license plates

Now I have to add you to the Washington count! Because you use to have Washington plates..... damn it Andrew!