Idaho harvest statistics

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
The controlled hunt stats are usually posted mid to late spring, but the general season info usually doesn't come out until well into summer.

elkyinzer

WKR
It was mid-June maybe July last year. There was a system issue this year that I would guess could delay things even more. When I got home the reporting system was down for a period of at least a few days, which caused me to eventually forget about it. It wasn't until I got a friendly call in December that I realized my oopsie and completed my report.

No reason you couldn't rely on past stats to the extent stats are even relevant. Seasonal variation causes swings in kill rates but hunter and elk numbers are trending up throughout the state. Aside from unit localized fire effects, past data should be plenty reliable.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure about elk but 2016 will likely be a record year for deer. However if there is a significant winter kill the stats from last year could be a bit misleading.

RAHC

FNG
Harvest is usually them same for Elk year to year. If you pay enough attention to those stats over a long period you can see where the IDFG "rounds up" or makes big assumptions off little feed back. Im referring to General Season Stats, but either way they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Anything in 36, 39, 43, 48, 49 and much of those units thru 55 to my knowledge are having a rough time of it based IDFG and local news papers along with observations of all my lical hunting buddies...they are doing new regs this year we will see what that brings.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Anything in 36, 39, 43, 48, 49 and much of those units thru 55 to my knowledge are having a rough time of it based IDFG and local news papers along with observations of all my lical hunting buddies...they are doing new regs this year we will see what that brings.

I would agree with this. We are having a pretty good warm spell right now though, so hopefully that is clearing up some slopes for them.

The new Proposals are up if anyone wants to check them out:

Big Game Hunting | Idaho Fish and Game

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Problem with that is if they get a bunch of food afterstarving it can kill them to...

FreeRange

WKR
Too bad. Having hunted those areas the last 2 years I was just really astounded by how many deer there were in central Idaho, knew it was too good to last. What are your guys thoughts on the fact that the weather was so mild through all of November? Does it help in that they were able to put on more weight before winter set in or does it hurt in that the rut got pushed back and the bucks didn't into post-rut mode til later in the year than is typical?

ElkNut1

WKR
Honestly, too many over think this. Elk & Deer have endured winter after winter, many are heavier snow years & some are lighter snow years, it's not a big deal & shouldn't change ones view as to the numbers to the point of not hunting! I've been here for 40 years & I couldn't honestly say that any year sticks out over another where hunting sucked. It's a matter of hunting hard & hunting smart, no slam dunks out there! Get your tag & get after them! (grin)

ElkNut1

Mtnboy

WKR
What about the Winter of 96 in North Idaho? Seems to be one everyone talks about changing things for some years after.

ElkNut1

WKR
No doubt weather can take a toll but so many act like the "Sky Is Falling" -- It's the same as any year, it's too rainy, it's too cold, too hot, too much snow, not enough rain, the list goes on. As hunters we put up with whatever we are faced with & grind it out, this year will be no different. I do my best to get out there & make it happen not sit back & look for excuses. I hunt various units at times & have hunted 7 different states for elk, last thing I look for is elk numbers, it doesn't concern me at all. I pick a unit for other reasons depending on if it's a draw or not.

Biggest reason for this is I know so many hunters are fairly lazy or stick to trail systems so many really don't touch tons of the country at all, that's the country I try to hunt! I do not let weather or full moon times effect my decisions when or how to hunt an area. I get out there & give it my all, most years it pays great dividends while others sit back & complain.

ElkNut1

Mtnboy

WKR
Makes sense to me!

I wasn't asking to be a jerk, just truly curious, as I do hear people talk of that year and have heard this year compared to it by some.

ElkNut1

WKR
No sir, I didn't think that at all. I was speaking in general as far as don't worry about the weather exterminating the elk population! (grin) Yes, some die off but there will be plenty to still hunt. It seems every year it's something that raises huge doubts in hunters minds. Personally I do not reflect on the negatives but try to focus all my energies towards how will I get it done instead of worrying about things I have no control of! Good luck & thanks!

ElkNut1

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Elk Nut great videos BTW I have been watching your stuff for a few years now and man what an improvement to my Elk Hunting thank you man. I would have to say everything I have watched is pretty spot on when I try it. If anyone has a chance look this dude up on You Tube if you have not you should. Just watching him do that stuff gets me pumped for some Elk Hunting.

That being said I love hunting Muleys more than elk. Been obsessed since age 6 when my dad filled our wood shed full of deer. I am no pro but Elk do better than deer in the tough winters from what I have read and seen growing up in Idaho. I look at the numbers on the harvest statistics but that can be deceiving some units can be good just harder to get access, less people hunting and such.

FreeRange

WKR
I don't put a lot of faith in harvest statistics either but what can be very telling is the trends and if you look at a lot of those units they've been consistently going up every year recently. I'm not thinking the sky is falling, just wondering how much a normal winter will affect what was arguably a pretty over-populated area. To me harvest stats show that hunters were doing their part and taking a lot of animals but even with that populations continued to rise unchecked by any significant winter kill. This winter is just another part of the natural cycle of population dynamics. Of course I'd love to see numbers keep on rising forever but we all know that isn't actually what's best for the herd.

I sat in the IDFG public meetings 2 years ago during the last regulations updates. At the time the deer population in my area was rising and reaching near historic levels. The IDFG suggested extending the deer season an additional week stating that we should enjoy the population surge while it lasted and allow more people time to harvest a deer. Otherwise the next hard winter would kill off all the excess deer for us. Nearly everyone in the meeting and from what I understand the other meetings in the region were hard set against the extension. They accused the IDFG of only wanting to make more money and said they would destroy the deer herds all over again just when it was getting good. As a result they did not extend the season. I wonder if any of the IDFG biologists are silently muttering "I told you so". Too many people are too quick to jump to negative judgments of the IDFG.

Numbers will be down for couple years and then they'll recover, or more hard winters will keep the numbers down but eventually it will turn around. And through it all, those who put in the work will continue to be successful at finding and killing bucks.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with idelkslayer on the people trying to critisize IDFG. The new meeting in my area they are cutting out the doe seasons due to winter kill but its pretty biz as usual except that.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Who criticized IDFG??!! Let me at em!! I end every comment to IDFG with "I love you guys"...no seriously.
I remember the question of extending seasons a few years back, the people said "No" and IDFG listened...I was floored. A state that
1. Asked it's hunters, gave them several viable options on which to vote.
2. Actually listened to it's hunters!!

I'm well versed in the OR and WA way of doing things...when I saw this behavior from IDFG I just about passed out!!