Boots

r_james66

FNG
I have a gear question for all yinz guys. Wat boots do all you backcountry elk hunters use? I've looked at kenetrek but they might be a lil rich for my blood.

captchet

FNG
Lol. Yinz. Must be from my neck of the woods. I wore my Vasque backpacking boots last 2 seasons. They were fine. I may upgrade to Crispi's for this season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
A lot of people like the Salomon Quest 4D(watch for sales $150-170 on sale). Lowa (different models) are a popular choice. My first year I used Danner Pronghorn and they worked fine but if I had much water the feet got wet. You can get by with a lot of different boots if you want just make sure they fit your feet and are comfortable. I have the 4D quest and like their fit but just picked up the Lowa Tibets and like them also, they have more ankle support then the 4D's( more boot more money). Buy some boots on sale, try them and see if you like them if not return them. Make sure of the return policy.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Probably depends on what season you're hunting. I wanted a lite non insulated pair of boots, I ended up with Lowa Caminos and couldn't be happier. They showed up on Amazon during their Prime Day sale for $200.00. Big burly boots have their place but I like a lite well constructed boots for huffing and puffing in September.

I recently purchased the Schnee Absaroka and they are definitely the boot i have been looking for. Pricy for sure so i don't know if you want to even consider them if Kennetreks are out of the question. But I will be using these boots for summer hiking/camping trips and as my early elk/mule/turkey boot.

Steve

FNG
I also have a pair of Salomon Quest 4D and have no complaints. I use them out west as well as for everything here in southwest pa as long as it's not cold out. I still take my Danners as a back up but prefer the lighter hikers. I just picked up another pair for $130 on sale since I melted my last ones around the campfire.

Amazon has had a pretty good deal on the Salomon Quest's lately. The price range starts at $127, not sure what size for that killer deal but when I run my size they are $170 which is good considering they are usually about $230.

Stickinit

FNG
Man, another yinzer. I thought elkyinzer was the only one on here ;) I moved from Pittsburgh to Montana last Sept. Anyway, I've also been rocking the Salomon Quest 4D's, the Salomon Speedcross 3's for a really light alternative.