Palisades

I should also mention that, in my experience, most of the bigger bulls in unit 67 like to stay close to the Wyoming border. I know that the elk do not understand borders or have ONX maps, but that's just where they seem to be. I've always been frustrated in that unit because that border can hamstring you. Last time I hunted there I hiked in to within a half mile of the border and found elk the evening before the opener. On opening morning the elk were across the canyon in Wyoming, and never crossed back in to Idaho for 3 days. I spent the last few days hunting unit 66 and harvested a nice bull there. That border can be a pain, and the Wyoming authorities watch it closely. I've heard of several people getting in serious legal trouble because they didn't know which state they were in when they pulled the trigger.
Not trying to be discouraging, just hoping to alert you to possible issues that I've had to deal with. Congrats on getting a good head start on your physical fitness, you'll be glad you did.

I think either way you'd have a great hunt. Using an outfitter to get you to a drop camp can be extremely helpful and make your planning tons easier. I've done that in Montana and it turned out well. Gives you another contact in case of emergency, and an outfitter with good stock could be invaluable if you dump an elk way back in there.

DDAM

FNG
I know this is an Elk thread and couldn't help notice the amount of intel on bears and landscape of the palisades area. I'm planning for a spring bear hunt most likely in unit 67. Do you guys happen to notice at which elevation the bears like to hang out particularly around early May? Do the bears here prefer the north/south facing slopes in this area? Any help would be much appreciated, this will be my first hunt.

sneaky

"DADDY"
In early May? This year it's gonna depend on snow levels. Later in May would be a better bet. Follow the snow line up. Check out snow pack on snotel. Keep checking it periodically to see how the levels change. There's almost always a storm or two that hit in April, that could throw an even bigger wrench in your plans. Then again, it could warm up and be fantastic hunting.

DDAM

FNG
Thanks for the reply sneaky. I called the biologist and they did state that there will probably be snow anywhere above 8000 elevation and possibly 7000 around that time, obvious to any locals in the swan valley area but any info will help since I'm coming from California and would have to book my trip in advanced =/ Seems Idaho in the Lolo area and near Palisades are in the crux with this snow.

I'm a little late to the party, but just wanted to say thanks this thread has been helpful. I moved to Victor a month ago from Boise and I have a lot of work to do before fall finding spots to hunt! I've already been up hiking in the Big Holes learning the area, but I was worried about the ATV/motorcycle crowd. I'm a walk-in only hunter and don't mind steep and deep (my old elk area was Brownlee). Look forward to lots of exploring this summer!

Josh

Huntrluke

FNG
Ive been reading this thread for awhile now, but never had an account here to comment. I've only been in Idaho for about 2 years, but this unit is new to me. Btw I'm hunting the archery only at the beginning of September. I've been uo there every week for about 2 months. I've hiked up to 12 miles, into Wyoming, up some steep, gnarly stuff and seen some sign, but no animals yet. I've been up north where u can ride 4wheelers around, and sout where it's non motorized. It's rough out there right now. I've been getting discouraged, but i still have 3 weeks until opening. Hopefully someones got some better insight into this area, but I'm mostly hoping for a cold front to come and move them in from Wyoming.

bigharge

WKR
Bumping this thread back up to check in and see if anyone has had any success in Unit 67 so far this season. Hopefully this cooler weather will get them stirring.

Also any experience with fishing that area around October?

Last edited:
Fishing has been terrific, hunting has been hit and miss (for me at least). Archery ended yesterday and I'm trying to not be too discouraged about my lack of success. There were elk around, they would get fired up one day and then be silent for 3 or 4 days. I now believe, after spending 13 days hunting this unit, that the winter really hurt the mule deer population badly. I saw a total of 3 mature bucks, one big 170" type deer. Last year I saw ten times that many mature bucks. Very few does, about a dozen in all. I did not harvest an animal.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I just wanted to thank anyone that helped out. I didn't see a single bear, just one set of tracks. I was able to take my first ever elk and was more than happy for my first back pack hunt.

View attachment 59767

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Teaman1, just curious if you would share the story behind your elk? Did you end up going the drop camp route? Also, would like to see the picture, can't seem to get it to work for me.

Congrats on finding an elk in what can be a tough unit!

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I just wanted to thank anyone that helped out. I didn't see a single bear, just one set of tracks. I was able to take my first ever elk and was more than happy for my first back pack hunt.

View attachment 59767

I'd like to see your picture. for some reason it isn't showing up.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I'll try to get the picture up. Nothing special, just a small 5x4 but it is still a trophy to me.
A few friends ended up coming with me. We packed into 67 and quickly realized we packed way too much stuff in. Country was very rough and we only made it 4 miles in. I shot mine on the second evening, pretty sure someone pushed him to me and I shot him at 15 yards with a 300 wsm. It was our first attempt at a pack hunt and our inexperience really showed but I learned a lot.

Congratulations Teaman1, that's a big accomplishment for your first try. I can't seem to see the pic, but it sounds like you guys had fun and learned a lot.