Palisades

Teaman1

WKR
I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share any hunting experiences for deer or elk in the palisades zone in Idaho? Also what are the odds of running into a grizzly or black bears?

CorbLand

WKR
There are some good bulls if you can find them. I didn't spend a ton of time in the Palisades unit but the chance of running to either black bears or grizzlies is pretty minimal.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Grizzlies won't be a problem and the elk numbers may be down due to a very hard winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you go, stop into the Trout Hunter in Island Park and talk to the guy who works there who was mauled by a grizzly in that unit. He's the one with the missing finger. Likely to happen? No. Could it? Always a chance.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Sneaky, he was mauled in Island Park, not Palisades. I know where and how it happened. It's many miles from one place to the other.

damer

FNG
This past season was our first season living in Idaho. We archery hunted the Palisade zone. We hunted mainly in 64, and 65. I was very disappointed in the elk hunting. There was not hardly any hunting pressure , but tons and tons of atv and dit bike riders, it was insane.

Never got a chance to hunt 67. From what I hear is that the majority of the elk are back in deeper. You will ask 10 guys and get 11 different answers from my experience. As far as the winter goes it hasn't been horrible here. I live in Rexburg.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sneaky, he was mauled in Island Park, not Palisades. I know where and how it happened. It's many miles from one place to the other.

DUH. You're right. What the heck was I thinking? Lol. I think I was only half awake when I typed that response. Slim chance of grizz in Palisades, that would have been the correct response from me :) My old commanding officer from the Marine Corps grew up with those guys. Small world.

CorbLand

WKR
I live in Rexburg.

I am sorry.

The problem with the Palisades and Tex Creek unit is that it is very dependent on weather. If you get an early snow they hunting is going to be great. If not then it won't be as good. I know some guys that get some really nice elk out of that area but they have hunted it for years, along with the there family for generations. They have that unit figured out. I hunted the Tex Creek unit for cows in high school and was fortunate to know a couple land owners that would let me on. That really helped cut down on the crowds.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Damer, this winter has set records for the amount of snow received. I only live 25 minutes from Rexburg; it's been very hard on the herds. Not to mention the fire last August that burned most of the winter range in that area.

VQP

FNG
Think of Unit 67 as two different sections, with Pine Creek as a dividing line. The west side of Pine Creek is tamer terrain, and unless you get far off trails you will be running into mt. bikers and horses. Not to mention motor bikes filling the area with sound. But there are elk in the area and I think they are somewhat accustomed to recreationalists. I am sure the elk are up high, but I have also seen lots of summer sign within earshot of the hwy. Unit 65 borders to the north and some elk will night-maraude the Valley, and then come back into Unit 67. All this to say that unless there is snow, I would keep eyes and ears open for elk at all elevations.

The same might be said for the East side of Pine Creek, but that is not my experience. The elk tend to be at higher elevations. The terrain is steeper. And unless there is snow, you can expect to climb high to get to them. There is a maze of horse trails throughout the area that do not allow motor bikes, unless there have been changes in the last couple of years. You can get the trail maps from the forest service. The trails get you access to some vast areas of mountainous "backcountry." And by the way, there are some big mulies in there too, which is no secret. Palisades has always been known for them.

I ask locals every year if they have seen grizzlies up there and the answer is always: no, but there could be. It has amazed me that the griz have not spread that way yet, to my knowledge.

I think Unit 67 is generally underrated. But it is hard to say what the winter has done exactly. Bull numbers could still be quite good for a couple years based on the good conditions going into winter. But if calf loss was significant during the winter, then in a year or so things could be more bleak. That potential is true for much of Idaho.

I've been speaking about September archery. If you are looking to rifle hunt, I would suggest a somewhat different strategy.

The grizzlies are around in unit 67, but not many. I have a good friend who works for F&G, he saw two grizzlies during the mtn goat study that was completed last summer. One was from a plane near the Wyoming border, the other was less than a mile from a very popular trailhead. As far as mulies go, this winter will cause heavy mortality. Lots of deer are beginning to die already, and there's still almost two months of potentially hard weather ahead. The elk may fare better, but most of the winter range burned last summer/fall so well see how they come out of it. If you plan to hunt this zone, show up prepared to go steep and deep. It's a beautiful area, but you have to get away from the hordes of ATV's to find game generally.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
"Steep and deep" I like it. Sorry I haven't been on in a bit. Thank you all for the responses, I greatly appreciate them. I should've specified that the hunt will be a backpack rifle hunt with my brother. I'm 25 and he's 24. We are trying to prepare physically by running in the evenings and weight lifting in the morning, but it'll be tough to be truly ready because we are from the flat eastern South Dakota.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
We were hoping to hike into the middle to eastern portion to avoid motorized trails, but not exactly sure on what direction to go in from. Also unsure of what the elk will be doing come mid October haha

Last edited:

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
If I were you guys I would train hard with boots on and your pack loaded with some weight. Many guys come out here in "gym shape", but their feet give out on them in just a few days. Find a football stadium and climb the bleachers if you live in flat land.

VQP

FNG
They will not be as likely found in the high country of the mid/east portion of 67, as weather will push them down. And the big bulls will be post rut, in the fetal position, somewhere in the deepest nastiest timber. And not necessarily miles and miles from motorized trails.