Atvs and sxs in Colorado?

mikelogg

FNG
Does anyone use there side x side to get up the mountain or a 4 wheeler during elk season ?

svivian

WKR
As a born and raised resident of Colorado please don't..... I've had enough of guys ripping down dirt roads chasing bugles thinking that they can just drive up on one and shoot it. Rant aside if you plan to hunt the mountain you are "driving" up then don't bother. If you are using it on a road to get to the trail head to walk in somewhere go for it.

OP
M

mikelogg

FNG
Yea we were just gonna use to get further up trail head from the truck . Not hunting from it .is that common or no ?

The animals know the sound of an ATV/SxS and know they are far more dangerous than a truck. I have watched diesel and gas tucks and tractors drive right by elk herds without bothering them, but the sound of an ATV a mile away will make their ears perk up and take off.

i am hoping that Colorado eventually bans ATV/SXS use except on FS roads. Those trails are a royal PIA to work on.

Reactions: FYT

CoHiCntry

WKR
The replies so far are funny! It really depends on where and how your hunting. They can be a real asset in the right circumstances. Some places have a lot of forest service roads that take a long time to drive down in your truck but half the time on a 4-wheeler. Look at where your hunting and if it makes sense bring them along.

OP
M

mikelogg

FNG
Yea I figured I would get some negative responses lol but if it is legal it's legal .

elkduds

WKR
Go to CO Big Game Atlas. Find the MVUM tab, and you will see every road and trail that is open to motorized vehicles, w symbols indicating which vehicles are allowed on any given trail. It is illegal to take a machine off a designated trail. Weapons must be enclosed in a case and have no ammunition in mag or chamber on ATV or motorcycle. A CO permit is required to use atv on public lands. Expect that other hunters will record illegal activity and notify law enforcement, I do so every year. Egregious offenders have found their machines sabotaged.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I purposely hunt in areas that don't allow it- I have enough of this in Northern Wisconsin- no problem with them-there great but if you can hunt in a Non motorized area- the elk seem to stay a little longer in the season and are less spooked- getting up to the camp spot- if its legal not a bad an option - but a 4x4 truck makes more sense to me.

You need a permit, drivers license, proof of insurance and proof of ownership now in Colorado if I'm not mistaken. I've been told that there are a couple of forest districts in central Colorado that have closed down their OHV trails and will only allow them on FS roads.

I don't have a beef with folks who use them, I'm sure they can come in handy, like animals, I've just never used them in that capacity.

I have issues with folks who can't follow the rules or think they don't apply to them because they can do it in their home state.

jmez

WKR
We use one when we hunt Co. Really handy for running around FS roads to different trailheads. The roads are narrow and pretty rough. SxS cuts the travel time way down compared to a pickup.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Go to CO Big Game Atlas. Find the MVUM tab, and you will see every road and trail that is open to motorized vehicles, w symbols indicating which vehicles are allowed on any given trail. It is illegal to take a machine off a designated trail. Weapons must be enclosed in a case and have no ammunition in mag or chamber on ATV or motorcycle. A CO permit is required to use atv on public lands. Expect that other hunters will record illegal activity and notify law enforcement, I do so every year. Egregious offenders have found their machines sabotaged.
I sure hope you never take the law into your own hands... Regardless if someone breaks the law you should never sabotage someones equipment. 2 wrongs don't make a right and I can assure you that there are plenty of eyes out in the woods. The fine for leaving a trail is a lot less then being sued for destroying property. Not to mention that someone might take that person and you might find yourself getting a serous ass beating because you decide to play Ranger Righteous.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Yea we were just gonna use to get further up trail head from the truck . Not hunting from it .is that common or no ?

There is probably a reason the road ends where it does. Then guys on atv's start driving them up from there, soon the road goes to where guys were hiking to. ATV's just plain ruin the countryside.:mad:

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
You need a permit, drivers license, proof of insurance and proof of ownership now in Colorado if I'm not mistaken. I've been told that there are a couple of forest districts in central Colorado that have closed down their OHV trails and will only allow them on FS roads.

I don't have a beef with folks who use them, I'm sure they can come in handy, like animals, I've just never used them in that capacity.

I have issues with folks who can't follow the rules or think they don't apply to them because they can do it in their home state.
I would be curious as to where it states you need a drivers license and insurance to operate a OHV. Here is the laws as of currently Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Laws

I agree that not enough people read these laws or understand them... I have dealt with many of hunters taking their ATV/UTV off trail to recover animals or simply because they are to lazy to get off and walk somewhere. Many of times the responses I receive is that in their home state they can do it... Just because you can do something in one state doesn't make it law in Colorado..

ericF

WKR
For a number of years, we have gotten tags for the White River Herd because you could bank points and still pick up a bull or cow tag. The only problem is that half of the tags go to out of staters who usually bring up ATV's. We always get up there early on Thursday and camp high on the trailhead. The last mile is a true 4x4 road which keeps most people out because they can't get trailers up in the area. The rest of the day Thursday and all day Friday is just a constant stream of ATV's up and down the Road to get to the top and then back down again.

On opening morning, we are well on our way to our hunting spots, and you can just hear the ATV's all over trying to get to somewhere else. I will never understand adding the extra time that it takes to get from one spot to another on an ATV and then adding in your hiking time. You can bet if you want to get to somewhere on an ATV, someone else is already smart enough to camp there without the ATV so they can spend more time hiking in.

I would be curious as to where it states you need a drivers license and insurance to operate a OHV. Here is the laws as of currently Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Laws

This seems to be a county reg for multiple counties in SW CO.

San Juan County (Silverton), Hinsdale County (Lake City) , OurayCounty and San Miguel County (Telluride) have many county roads open to OHVs, but each operator must carryproof of insurance. All of these counties, except for Ouray county, also require that operators have a valid driverslicense and be 16 years of age to drive on county roads.

My guess is that this is also required for any "plated" vehicles from states that allow license plates on ATVs. The only other law pertaining to driver's licenses has to do with minors.

Persons less than 10 years of age cannot operate OHVs on public roads. OHV operators between the ages of 10 and16 must be accompanied by and under the immediate supervision (within direct visual contact) of a person with a validdriver’s license

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
This seems to be a county reg for multiple counties in SW CO.

My guess is that this is also required for any "plated" vehicles from states that allow license plates on ATVs. The only other law pertaining to driver's licenses has to do with minors.
The key words here is " ON COUNTY ROADS" and " PUBLIC ROADS" People need to understand that operating a ATV on a road is different then operating a ATV on a trail that is open to ATV use... One doesn't need to be insured nor does it require a drivers license to operate an ATV on a trail anywhere in Colorado.