Atvs and sxs in Colorado?

The key words here is " ON COUNTY ROADS" and " PUBLIC ROADS" People need to understand that operating a ATV on a road is different then operating a ATV on a trail that is open to ATV use... One doesn't need to be insured nor does it require a drivers license to operate an ATV on a trail anywhere in Colorado.

Agreed, but it's pretty hard to not operate on at least a forest service road at some point. In fact roads are pretty much the only place where we use them where I hunt, but we try to use them as little as possible as we have noticed that they can really effect the elk's behavior.

cnelk

WKR
Here is story that happened to me over 10 yrs ago in the elk woods.

Just after daylight, I was about 3 miles into an area that was laced with old logging roads, closed to motorized vehicles when I came across this bull laying along side the old road.

I thought 'Hey thats a nice bull' and took a couple pics of it [only the front half was there]

About that time I heard this sound of a motor coming up the mountain.
I ducked into the trees and watched these two guys drive right up to this elk.

They got off their ATV and looked around and when I appeared they seemed startled.
Then I asked 'WTF are you doing?? This is a closed area to MV'

Their reply was they had 'permission' to come back and retrieve game.

I told them 'BS and thanks for ruining my morning hunt'

I knew where these guys were camped and they were NonRes so I dove off the mtn, went back and took pics where they cut down trees, went around a closed gate. Then I made a call to the local Forest Service Office and gave them the info.

Guess who was greeted upon their return to the closed gate.
Along with citations for littering, cutting live trees, accessing a closed area and prob some other stuff.

It was a few years before I saw them back in the area again.

I didnt play vigilante, just a concerned hunter, and tax payer.

dotman

WKR
You need a permit, drivers license, proof of insurance and proof of ownership now in Colorado if I'm not mistaken. I've been told that there are a couple of forest districts in central Colorado that have closed down their OHV trails and will only allow them on FS roads.

I don't have a beef with folks who use them, I'm sure they can come in handy, like animals, I've just never used them in that capacity.

I have issues with folks who can't follow the rules or think they don't apply to them because they can do it in their home state.

I believe that is only for residents.

dotman

WKR
It all boils down to idiots are into everything, don't label every user group because of the few.

The particular sound of ATVs and side by sides broadcast to all the elk in the area that hunting season has started and definitely speeds up their hunter avoidance behavior/shift to night time activity. I have seen bedded elk at 12,500 feet opening day of archery get up and run over the mountain at the sound of two ATVs driving in the bottom of the creek 2,000 vert below and stopping at the trailhead. Like others have posted, I do not hunt areas where these nuisances are permitted and you would do well to leave yours at home.

This article in High Country News corroborates what I and several hunters have experienced, their behavior starts to change even before the season due to the low rumble of ATVs Montana’s game managers try to outsmart elk (Gaming the big game) — High Country News

xziang

WKR
I used one the first year hunting for we were on 'private' ground which we accessed via ATV trails. After that year where I hunt I haven't used one again.

Pending on your location and available legal atv trails I would use one and camp close to the trail. I know most if not EVERYONE on this board is a hunter but ATV's and off roading is another passion that a lot of people take advantage of in CO. With Labor day falling in the first week of archery season you can expect to run into ATV's and people in general if you are in that sort of area. I'm NOT supporting people that go 'off trail' to blaze their own path btw.

Tsnider

WKR
most places i know of where you park dont allow you to to just on another machine and go plowing where ever you want. Colorado does a good job of protecting the environment and therefore, they dont allow people to drive up the side of a mountain. you can use them on a lot of the 4x4 trails, but then you are just parking next to a group of other people either way.

Beendare

WKR
The replies so far are funny! It really depends on where and how your hunting. They can be a real asset in the right circumstances. Some places have a lot of forest service roads that take a long time to drive down in your truck but half the time on a 4-wheeler. Look at where your hunting and if it makes sense bring them along.

^ I totally agree. I hate the things when they are running all over heck.... but I own one and have used it in just these circumstances on roads to get to a TH.

Its the guys going on closed roads or cross country that give 4 wheelers a bad name. Saying all 4 wheelers is bad is like saying all alcoholic drinks are bad....and we know that ain't true!

jmez

WKR
Are you guys talking about off trail ATV's changing elk behavior? I see way more recreational riders on on forest service roads than hunters. It isn't even close. The recreational guys are out there every weekend until the snow keeps them out an then they are on snowmobiles.

cnelk

WKR
I have two atvs, two snowmobiles and a boat. Each year I pay my CPW sticker fees and use my stuff accordingly.

To say things should be banned because you don't like them is pretty narrow minded and self centered.
But that's typical of society today and I'm not surprised

OP
M

mikelogg

FNG
Obviously if the trail
Head says no atvs we wouldn't use it . I'm not doing anything illegal . Locals think they own the mountains and know all the rules and laws it's pretty comical .

Are you guys talking about off trail ATV's changing elk behavior? I see way more recreational riders on on forest service roads than hunters. It isn't even close. The recreational guys are out there every weekend until the snow keeps them out an then they are on snowmobiles.

I have seen the behavioral reactions in the area I hunt which is mostly private land with small 40-200 acre chunks of BLM that only really see ATV use during hunting season. I'm sure it's heavily dependent on the amount of general recreational use in the area. Personally as long as it's legal I don't have a problem with it, but just know that if you are in areas where there isn't a lot of traffic you may be hurting yourselves as much as rubbing others the wrong way.

I have two atvs, two snowmobiles and a boat. Each year I pay my CPW sticker fees and use my stuff accordingly.

To say things should be banned because you don't like them is pretty narrow minded and self centered.

Yep; this is the exact same attitude being expressed in the drone thread. Public land is public land; it must be managed for use by everyone and not whatever you personally feel like it should be. Fortunately for those with strong opinions on the subject, this state has a very large amount of wilderness area where you can be sure not to run into any of these annoyances (or if you do you can call the Warden and get it taken care of).

Didn't you know that you aren't supposed to debate nor try to see things from another's point of view anymore... You're just supposed to spout out your opinions into a bullhorn and ignore or attack any non-like-minded response with the utmost hostility.

ckleeves

WKR
2 hours beating my truck to death vs 30 minutes on a ATV is a no brainer to me. I like to spend my weekends doing things I enjoy rather then replacing ball joints. Ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR

Exactly, the recreational users are probably saying I wish no hunting would be allowed because they don't feel safe enough to use public lands for fear of being shot.

jmez

WKR
Had that exact conversation with a couple of hikers in Co a few years ago. Was bowhunting and met them walking down a trail. They were horrified that bowhunting season was open and they were out for a hike. At first we had a long conversation about when the season started as they were sure I was hunting out of season. They would never do anything so reckless as to go out for a hike when there were hunters in the woods. Simply wasn't worth the personal danger to them blah blah blah.

They were going home to check hunting dates and informed me they would be contacting the game and fish if the season wasn't opened. I offered to send my name and license number along with them. Would have been comical if it weren't so sad.

I don't feel I'm being narrow minded when I work for the forest service conducting trail maintenance on the 750ish miles of trails in my district. The OHV trails are the worst one to fix because of the amount of time it takes to fix them. Regs state 50" and under yet it isn't uncommon to have larger SXS on the trails and even small pickup trucks "because it fits". I have to move rocks to confine the trail so it only allows the right size vehicle to ride on it. Fix enourmous mud pits that are made even worse because people go around them rather than through them, never even thinking about contacting the district to let us know. Everyone says they follow the rules but then when we stop them to check them for the proper documents we are the asshole. It gets old. As a hunter and a huge fan of public areas I feel I go out of my way to keep the public lands in my area clean and in order to allow everyone to use them, so if I don't like the way they are being treated by folks and have an opinion I feel I'm fully entitled. Maybe I'm not a part of the BHA or RMEF, but I feel I contribute quite a bit to do my part in the form of manual labor.

dotman

WKR
I don't feel I'm being narrow minded when I work for the forest service conducting trail maintenance on the 750ish miles of trails in my district. The OHV trails are the worst one to fix because of the amount of time it takes to fix them. Regs state 50" and under yet it isn't uncommon to have larger SXS on the trails and even small pickup trucks "because it fits". I have to move rocks to confine the trail so it only allows the right size vehicle to ride on it. Fix enourmous mud pits that are made even worse because people go around them rather than through them, never even thinking about contacting the district to let us know. Everyone says they follow the rules but then when we stop them to check them for the proper documents we are the asshole. It gets old. As a hunter and a huge fan of public areas I feel I go out of my way to keep the public lands in my area clean and in order to allow everyone to use them, so if I don't like the way they are being treated by folks and have an opinion I feel I'm fully entitled. Maybe I'm not a part of the BHA or RMEF, but I feel I contribute quite a bit to do my part in the form of manual labor.

It's a job and someone has to do it :). Fact is people from all groups treat public lands like crap but I like to think overall it's a small % out of any user group. I've seen tons of crap left in wilderness areas by horse hunters.

BH107

FNG
I thought it was funny hearing a local in CO complain about having to lock his gun up on his sxs..."well how am I supposed to shoot something when I'm driving around if my gun is locked up!"

I understand using them to get in and out of areas on designated roads or trails, but its the guys who just drive around on them all day that I laugh it. Its even funnier to watch them drive right by the animals.