How to get non res tags-MT

So normally like any good Montanan that see's a non resident that wants to come here to hunt I'd tell em CO is way better... LOL

But I've got a buddy who wants to come out. Now being a resident I've never had to help anyone get a non res tag before.

Can a non res buy a OTC tag like we can? Or is application only for every district? Or is it like us where we can buy an OTC tag then we can apply for the big bull tags?

March 15 is coming fast and trying to help him out.

Then can he buy an nonresident A tag OTC or is that draw as well?

Thanks! The regs are confusing enough as a resident and I figured there's a few people who've done this a time or two here.

My father comes out every year for non-red deer/elk and has always had to submit before march 15. I believe you may be able to buy OTC Surplus B tags if available though. Like you stated, the regs are confusing and it seems like everyone has a different answer that I've spoken with about this. Following for future reference!

Drawing deadline is the 15th. If he wants to make sure he gets s tag he should go through the drawing. There may or may not be leftovers available as surplus OTC tags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been general elk combo Non resident tags available long after the deadline the last couple years but best to apply on time. I imagine the process is very similar to a resident only there is a quota of general tags that can be reached (and they cost a shit ton more $!).

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
Last year, the surplus elk tags sold out around the end of Sept. There were no elk/deer combo tags available at that time. I think I read somewhere that the surplus combo ones sold out very quickly after they were offered.

FWP posts the number of tags available on the site and updates weekly. I bought mine in mid Sept last year after the number dropped to ~500 available. They were dropping at a rate of ~150/week up to that point.

This year, I'm planning much further in advance and already applied for the draw.

-David

wyosteve

WKR
A couple of points-- 1) if you are going to hunt in a general area, you probably should apply for the combo license. If you want a specific area, you need to get the combo license and apply for a 'permit' in the specific area you would hunt. 2)here's the kicker--if you apply for a specific area and don't draw the 'permit', you still have the combo license where you can hunt general areas. 3) a downside is that if you get the combo license, but don't draw the permit area, you can turn in the combo license and get 80% of your money back, but that also means you will have paid about $170 (20%) for the privilege of applying! 4) you can apply for an Elk B license which is for cows only and if you don't draw, you get pretty much all of your money back. The Elk B application deadline is June 1. Hope this helps a bit. It's definitely not the easiest system to understand.

OP
TradLife406
Thanks boys! Yeah, so blessed to just buy an OTC tag and stack bonus points as a resident! I can see why everyone goes to CO instead!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk