elkguide

WKR
Higher elk herd populations and mountains in Colorado.
Wolves and perhaps, fewer people in Idaho.
Both are good options but time is the biggest factor and with Colorado being closer for you, I'd go there. There will be a learning curve but with YouTube and so many good info sites, (I'd recommend rokslide) you can really have a good head start. Still, putting boots on the ground is your best teacher.

Good luck, there is nothing else in the wild to compare with a rut crazed elk bugle!

Pig_Pen

FNG
Disclaimer: Budget minded Rookie advice contained below!
I was in the same boat just a few years ago. I found myself spending too much time weighing the differences between Co and ID. I choose Co simply because it was closer and I would have more time to scout things out and acclimate to the elevation. I choose a unit based on stats, and lack of easy access. I had never hunted elk prior to that trip and I went on an OTC 2ND rifle season tag because it fit my work schedule.

There were a lot of other hunters along the main road but once I got away from the road the pumpkins weren't as heavy. I was set up and ready to glass well before daylight and I would catch them moving as soon as the day broke. I also stayed in hunt mode til dark each night.
I spent a ridiculous amount of time here searching every thread that mentioned elk or the unit I went into just to show up with some basic knowledge to get me started. Corey Jacobson's Elk hunting university videos were a great start for me with using Google Earth and elk habits.
I had such an amazing experience hunting solo that year that I am hooked and headed back this year. Good luck

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
I am weighing this same option right now as well.

The drive time is a serious factor to consider, however if I end up solo I will likely be flying instead to give myself more time hunting and the ease of trying to drive cross country and then start hunting hard. Idaho may have less people, but it still doesn't sound like a slam dunk for escaping pressure. It also has wolves and grizzly, which I take into consideration when wanting to backpack solo. It's all OTC so I'm expecting to have to work hard to escape the crowds. My week off falls during the CO muzzy season also, so as soon as I'm ready to commit to hunting there I change my mind due to this. Ahhhh decisions, decisions. Regardless of what I decide, I am ready for September.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
No experience w ID hunting, but I remember something about green drakes on the Henry's fork. PM sent.

DEHusker

WKR
OTC in Colorado is what you make of it. There can be hoards of other hunters but I've hunted extensively in OTC units and had times where I have never seen another soul the whole week as well. The vastness of all the public land is easy to underestimate. What WILL possibly hinder you is finding an off the beaten path place that is still close enough for a solo guy to pack out meat in a timely fashion. I still get a kick out of guys that say they want to pack in "5-10 miles" as a solo first time elk hunter. Realize that is a 10-20 mile round trip for each load and a big bull is a minimum of 3-4 loads. Do the math. LOL. I try really hard to stay within 3.5 miles of the truck when out solo, 5 tops. It's not always possible but anything past 5 miles and I get nervous to shoot something. Last years bull took me 2 days to get out and it was cool enough but I was nervous.

You sound like you are doing all the right things to find a good unit with decent numbers of elk and reasonable harvest odds. Your odds for success will go up each year that you hunt the unit as you get to know it and the elk habits. It's addicting. Good luck!

I am in Idaho and recommend you going to CO :D

Honestly I always hear people talk about the wolves and think it is kind of funny. I wouldn't worry about wolves and grizzlies, I have encountered both a few while hunting solo and it ended up being no big deal as they really aren't interested in you. Did they have an impact on the herds yes they did. Do we still have a lot of elk per person, yes we do. If you want to meet lots of other hunters from out east go to CO.

gumbl3

WKR
I wish the wolves were as bad as people say, I wouldn't have ate a $30 tag. Never saw or heard one

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies guys (or any gals). Its good to hear from people who have some experience! I'l be honest everyone's replies made it harder to choose XD! I'll keep doing my research and see where that goes. Anyone else have any advice (on the states or just advice for backpack hunting in general) id love to hear it! Thanks again for everyone's replies!

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
My first hunt was Idaho. I'd never seen Idaho with my own eyes. Killed a nice 5x5 my first night hunting. Hunted with my partner for 13 more days. He had 2 shots, and multiple encounters. Great hunt. I've also hunted Colorado. For sheer solitude and enjoyment, definitely Idaho. Nothing against Colorado, but you do have to work harder to get away from people. Nothing against that as we all want to enjoy the outdoors, no fault in that. Good luck on your decision, just get somewhere.

KurtR

WKR
I rifle hunted Idaho last year it was my first elk hunt. Did not get an elk we saw 8 but we didnt know what we were doing till the last day when we saw them. Born and lived in Sodak my whole life been alot of places but if i was to move Idaho would be the place. Steep and rugged lots of land and all the people i met were nice. Get your feet right as that about took one of the guys i was hunting with out of the game. Had another guy i know go to colorado and got an elk and really liked it out there. So i dont think you will go wrong with either place.

gabenzeke

WKR
I went to CO last year for my first elk hunt. 15 hours from IA. drove through the night and started hiking as soon as I got there to spend as much time as I could in the wilderness area. Stopped for a nap near the trail I was on, and then continued my hike, but away from the trail this time. I went over one ridge, got into bugling elk, and was only a half mile or maybe a touch more from the trail. Only saw one hunter in ten days. This was archery season though. Never had to get more than 4 miles from the trailhead.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
IF you go to Idaho I could be wrong but they may have more access to logging roads which are legal to ride a bike on so consider taking a bike to Idaho if you go. (double check though I'm going off of previous 'reads')

I hunt CO and it is what you make of it. I think chances are better in other states like Idaho and Montana but I go for a vacation/hunting trip. I like the area I head to for I too go solo and feel relatively safe in that area. Still working on hauling something out but it'll come in due time.

Just pick a spot and go, seriously. I posted pretty much the same thread last year for my first elk hunt. Picking that first spot to go was the hardest part of planning the whole trip IMO. Just pick a few spots(away from big cities), study the maps and go find some elk. I was really surprised how close to the road we found elk. Dont waste a lot of time in an area if you aren't seeing fresh sign, there is plenty of land to explore out there!!

Just pick a spot and go, seriously. I posted pretty much the same thread last year for my first elk hunt. Picking that first spot to go was the hardest part of planning the whole trip IMO. Just pick a few spots(away from big cities), study the maps and go find some elk. I was really surprised how close to the road we found elk. Dont waste a lot of time in an area if you aren't seeing fresh sign, there is plenty of land to explore out there!!

great advice here

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado is so perfect for what you want to do, start walking to you hit sign and then hunt. Its really that simple-walk could be long:) or short. I have had great luck doing that in SW Colorado- if you go to the top and hunt down, less people. But packing up can be an issue. No matter what- your hunting and have a chance. Its great to live in America and have this opportunity!! Our fathers fought for it,enjoy it and it have fun. JIM

Lots of Good Advice, Easy to draw tags are going to have there challenges even for seasoned vets that's a fact. Colorado and Idaho both have elk and both offer a chance to get out and have some fun. As for predators like wolves, i wouldn't worry to much, if you hunt Idaho think of the wolves as another game specious you can hunt. Just way the pros and cons of what you want and go, i wouldn't read to much into success rates either.. Some states dont track them properly at all. For instance in Montana your general tag opens up a ton of units, and in the last 4 seasons i have only be contacted twice for a survey. One survey only asked me if i went fishing, said nothing about hunting. On the flip side they do better aerial surveys then Colorado. Some units in Colorado have not had an aerial survey done in 5 or more years. So the game numbers are more like educated guesses.

If your coming from the east or mid west you might want think about your limits. Everything seems doable from google earth or listening to guys on rokslide, however until your packing in a camp up a steep hill at high elevation it all starts to set in. DEHUSKER said it best, you dont want to go 5 miles solo and try to pack out a bull, its not fun, trust me! If its flat and rolling country you might get away with it, but if its steep and nasty country, secure some stock or friend before trying something like that.

Last thing is look at the seasons, Some states the tags go for months, here in Colorado they go for days...much more advantageous for some that just want to take one week, but not for others. If you know your schedule and you can only hunt a portion of the season, go somewhere you can hunt more. Your first DIY will be an educational experience, and thats the way you have to look at it, you might get lucky but try to think of it on a day to day basis of what you learned. I still look at every hunt that way, as i try to become better and better each season.

Good Luck

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies guys (or any gals). Its good to hear from people who have some experience! I'l be honest everyone's replies made it harder to choose XD! I'll keep doing my research and see where that goes. Anyone else have any advice (on the states or just advice for backpack hunting in general) id love to hear it! Thanks again for everyone's replies!

When hunting Colorado, I'll usually be in contact with the nearby outfitter so I'll know where and when they plan on putting in camps. Helps us all stay clear of eachother. Also, I'll bring in trash bags and put boned out meat in the nearest creek to refrigerate while I'm hauling. Or, if you're really far in, that provides an opportunity for you to connect with the outfitter to pack out your meat on horseback.

Hunt Well!
-Eric

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks again to everyone for the great advice! Its nice to have a community that's willing to come alongside a newbie! Whatever direction my hunt takes it'll be great to get out there and enjoy the experience and learn! Thanks again everyone

12ring

FNG
Lots of great info here already- the Rokslide crowd are a great resource. Either state can provide great OTC opportunity. It has already been said that solo elk hunting can be very challenging, especially packing an elk out on your own if you are back in greater than 5 miles. You do not have to go into the middle of the Frank Church or another wilderness area to get into elk- and this might even decrease your odds in some cases. There are often buffer areas between deep wilderness and the roads that hold elk. eScouting with Google Earth, etc can help identify where these areas might be. Also, regarding bears- there's a lot of areas that you are not going to have any problems with grizz (blacks are another story), wolves- there are a lot of areas where the wolves are now being put in check and elk numbers are rebounding (not sure how this winter will affect elk, I have heard that even elk in some areas in both states have taken a pounding, but they will fair much better than their ungulate counterparts). My 2 cents and good luck!