Oregon Elk hunting

damer

FNG
I used to hunt it a lot and spent tons of time in the south eastern part of the unit. You archery or rifle hunting?

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
A waste of points imho. Okay genetics. It's similar to the coast in that if you get into them it's game on, but if you can't find them it sucks. Lots of pressure in the areas I've been (in laws hunt it religiously and I've been out scouting and glassing several archery seasons). Even though it's a draw unit there's a ton of non hunters in there on quads and so forth for the "family" hunt. I'd hunt next door with an archery Otc tag in murderers creek or silvies before I spent elk points in ochocos.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I'm not sure how many points it takes to draw that hunt as a nonresident, but plenty of elk can be found in the Eagle Caps and it's OTC.

If you like seeing more people than elk, the Ochocos are for you!
Don't waste your points with this unit.

WRO

WKR
I think he's referring to the rifle tag, not archery.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
It is my understanding that the Eagle caps are very rugged, steep, and deep.
That is true, but it's still very much worth doing in my opinion, and you don't have to go in very far to find good numbers of elk.
I can only speak for archery season. During rifle season the weather plays a huge factor.

lintond

WKR
That is true, but it's still very much worth doing in my opinion, and you don't have to go in very far to find good numbers of elk.
I can only speak for archery season. During rifle season the weather plays a huge factor.

Agreed that the EC is pretty rugged but manageable especially outside the wilderness. If you're rifle hunting then weather will start to impact a hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Since this thread is already derailed, I will comment on EC. There is a reason they give those tags away. It is brutal, and totally awesome country all at the same time. I scouted in July, and was trekking through snow fields and getting cliffed out. Make a plan, and use the wilderness trails to your advantage. The major access points are hit pretty hard by outfitters due to the lack of good access points. Be ready to see lots of horse and mule traffic. This is a very tradition rich pack in area in OR.

To the OP:
There are some big bulls in that unit, but it is very busy due to being so close to Bend. I think they get very secluded to avoid people, and a guy would just need to cover some ground and find em.

TripleJ

WKR
Ochoco elk hunting is very hit and miss from people I know that have hunted there. Many of the elk get driven onto private ranches from what I've heard. Friends of mine have killed bulls on both archery and rifle hunts in that unit, but they know the unit well and the areas to focus on. I do not and would never waste my points on a tag in that unit.

Westfir

FNG
I hunted the EC for the first time last year. Lots of horse people. It got pretty crowded. There are lots of places to hunt in there but be prepared to pack in off trail to avoid the crowds. Most of the horse people stay on trail.

I live here and wouldn't burn points on an ochoco rifle hunt unless I paid for access. I'd have to look at a map of MC.

I share this feeling. Ochoco is just not what is used to be. If you search online (Ifish, and other forums) you'll see the trend started years ago that the unit has gone downhill. Everyone says the same things about elk going to private land (especially during rifle) and that it's packed with hunters, the unit has been below management objectives for years.

This isn't to say that you can't fill your tag in that unit, guys do every year. I just think there's far better ways to burn your points.

Not for nothing but I had 1st season and a buddy had 2nd season rifle. We both hunted almost every day in the season. Saw a few bulls but I/we will not burn points on that unit again. We pounded public land on foot and had bulls on cameras weeks prior ..,when season came they basically vanished. Still a good unit, but don't have high expectations and be willing to eat tag soup.

OP
Bearhunter
Hey guys I appreciate all the info. Silvies is an option as well, just trying to figure out a good hunt in the near future with opportunities for 300" and up bulls. Everyone's opinions so far seem to be matching up with what I am researching... Thanks for some great info! I am leaning now towards Murderers or Silvies. We have access to some private in Murderers creek, but I am worried about how the fire impacted the unit...