3of4 Bull Elk tags Punched NM DIY

tgoody14

FNG
Draw time is coming!!! Just finished up our video from last year's New Mexico hunt! Between the 4 of us we put down 3 monster Bulls! The video is kinda long but I wanted to show the ups and downs of the emotional roller coaster of a hunt. Chasing big game on public lands is by far the toughest yet most rewarding hunting you can do!! So here ya go! If you're using a computer, click the gear box on the bottom right corner and select 1080p HD for best quality. Also it helps to be on wifi! Enjoy!!!

In 11 days, I lost 9lbs... But we put in the work, got off the roads, and saw Elk everyday!!!

DIY Elk Hunt New Mexico 3of4 Bow Tags Punched! - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Some great shots of the landscape and animals. Just put in for my NM draws and hope to be doing something similar soon. Thanks for sharing.

OP
T

tgoody14

FNG
What unit where you in? Looks like the Gila.

Unit 17, right next to The Gila...

It started out just 4 of us with 2 tags... When the 6x9 went down, those two guys headed home. Then my partner had to get back to work around day 7. Luckily enough while out on my own, I ran into 2 other hunters with 2 of the same tags. Come to find out, we were all 3 K9 Handlers for the same organization (different states) so needless to say we hit it off real well. They took me in and allowed me to hunt with them on my last days. They could simply "talk elk"... every time we went out... we had encounters... I could've let the arrow fly a couple times, but all I could see was head and neck from the side and I just couldn't bring myself to risk it! We had been hard at it for so long, the last thing I wanted to do was spend another day tracking a wounded animal... but like I said, the experience was GREAT!! Greatest hunt I had every been a part of and I've been hunting for a very long time and seen some pretty cool stuff, but Public Land Big Game Hunting takes the CAKE, no doubt!!!

airmanharv08

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 17, right next to The Gila...

It started out just 4 of us with 2 tags... When the 6x9 went down, those two guys headed home. Then my partner had to get back to work around day 7. Luckily enough while out on my own, I ran into 2 other hunters with 2 of the same tags. Come to find out, we were all 3 K9 Handlers for the same organization (different states) so needless to say we hit it off real well. They took me in and allowed me to hunt with them on my last days. They could simply "talk elk"... every time we went out... we had encounters... I could've let the arrow fly a couple times, but all I could see was head and neck from the side and I just couldn't bring myself to risk it! We had been hard at it for so long, the last thing I wanted to do was spend another day tracking a wounded animal... but like I said, the experience was GREAT!! Greatest hunt I had every been a part of and I've been hunting for a very long time and seen some pretty cool stuff, but Public Land Big Game Hunting takes the CAKE, no doubt!!!

Awesome, I hunted 17 about 14 years ago when I was in high school, didn't get anything. Enjoyed the video, if you want some info on elk here, let me know.

under h2o hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thats awesome you captured the experience and shared your hunt and information... Good luck on your future hunting endeavors and keep at it... The first always seems to be the toughest to get under your belt but after that you'll find they come a bit easier... Not that taking elk is easy cause its not..

OP
T

tgoody14

FNG
Thanks guys! It was definitely the most challenging hunt I had ever been on. Hopefully we draw something again this year, we've put in for several different animals

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff! You had me rooting for you. That's better than the cable tv I pay too much money to not watch. That's a hell of a hunt for a first time. I hope that's what I've got to look forward to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Great video and awesome first hunt. I was feeling the pain when u we're going up and down the steep stuff! You summed up the grind- can't wait to get back out there!

OP
T

tgoody14

FNG
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the kind words! There's a ton of work that goes into putting all that together. I try to make it as entertaining, but as real as possible and I wanted to show how frustrating it can be also! Glad you guys enjoyed it! Hopefully one of us draws again this year so we can go torture ourselves again lol

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck with the draw this year! I'll be putting in for a few units in that state for my first elk hunt. Let us all know if you make it back out there

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

OP
T

tgoody14

FNG
I appreciate it guys! It's safe to say I'm addicted now haha

OP
T

tgoody14

FNG
Well, draw results are out... I didn't draw anything and I had put in for 4 different animals, BUT the wife got a Muley tag so she's pumped!!! I get to film the hunt so I'm pretty happy myself! May buy a landowner tag if I can't fight the itch... Only time will tell but they sure are damn proud of them landowner tags :(

Nice video! Looks like you had a very enjoyable experience. We hope to return to 17 one day...really cool country down there!

OP
T

tgoody14

FNG
Nice video! Looks like you had a very enjoyable experience. We hope to return to 17 one day...really cool country down there!

Thanks! Yes it is. I think we just got ourselves another elk tag for 17, thanks to this video haha