I'm going ELK hunting!

I applied for 1st time, in CO. According to stats I've about a 1:3 chance of getting a either sex tag and pretty sure thing on a cow tag for 1st rifle.

I'm beyond excited. I'm starting to train and get ready. It looks like it will be solo, although one of my non-hunting friends might come just for the hiking and camping. I'm thinking we will take my Sawtooth and get a couple move from roads and tromp around, that's about as far as I've gotten. I subscribed to Elk101 and looking forward to learning. I plan to scout the area I plan to hunt in June for 3 days hopefully that will confirm what I'm looking at on Google earth.

I'd like to thank the Rokslide community for the everything and will keep y'all posted!

Since everyone loves gear here's what I've got so far.

Kifaru: Sawtooth & cylinder stove, 0 degree slick bag, hunting platform frame and Reckoning & meat bag.
Winchester m70 270 WSM, Leupold 3-9x40.
Thermarest trekker pad, MSR pocket rocket, petzil headlight, Tyto knife, MSR pot, FirstLite: Kanabs, Llano, Chama, Halstead, Sanctuary jacket. Crispi Nevada boots, steripen, Platapus gravity works, Leupold spotter (wanting to trade for binos).

I've working on the rest of the list. Any pointers really appreciated. It's 7 months away and keeps me up at night...

Good luck , I'm not going until next year and it keeps me up at night now researching and reading on gear ect .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what weapon/season are you hoping for? Just from you post, June could be a bit early perhaps due to the big snowpack this year. One area I go, the main road will likely not be open until mid to late June as they don't plow it. So just be sure of the roads you plan to take before driving out! Good Luck to you!

Tsnider

WKR
what he said ^^^

its melting fast up there, but this year was crazy with snow. usually by the 3rd week of june to the first week of july just about everything is open. but that first weekend of july is one to be avoided due to tourism.

oh and that tent and stove are gonna save you a lot of grief, good gear list you have started up there.

when you go scout out your area, and consider spots to set up camp, find multiples. the runoff your going to be seeing may not be there when you go hunting. i do high elevation hunting and finding water usually isnt a problem, but some of the dry parts of the state could pose an issue. so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
OP
alexanderg23
So what weapon/season are you hoping for? Just from you post, June could be a bit early perhaps due to the big snowpack this year. One area I go, the main road will likely not be open until mid to late June as they don't plow it. So just be sure of the roads you plan to take before driving out! Good Luck to you!

I applied for 1st rifle, Oct 14-18th.

Both mental strength and physical strength are important. A mountain hunt can be lonely, but be confident and stay the course. Learn from your mistakes, and you'll return a better hunter than before. It looks like you have a good handle on the gear. Now you just have to go for it!!! Good luck.