Is Montana worth the increased tag price?

I agree with elknut. While I am not near the caller or bowhunter he is. I hear tons of elk talking hear in Montana. Shit I hear bugles during rifle too when there are far more hunters in the woods. If your spot is no longer good time to scout and try new spots.

I hunt in areas that are known to be thick with wolves in fact I killed one a few years back. Despite the wolf presence I still see and hear lots of ELK. I would say that I am more discouraged by the amount of people I am seeing these days vs 7-10 years ago. This is in places well away from roads and all over really. Hunting is more popular than ever...

I for one like how expensive the licenses are as it limits the amount of people looking to hunt here.

ElkNut1

WKR
Shooter, with all due respect bud you need to find a new area if you are running into the amount of hunters you say you are. I too can easily hunt here where the populace is but I choose not to. I choose areas that are tough to get to or are just flat overlooked yet no more than a 1/2 mile from a dirt road at times. I don't bivy hunt, all elk are taken on day hunts where anybody else can hunt. I've found the rougher the country the less likely I'll see other hunters. Last year over 6000 hunters here had an elk tag in their pockets for the units I hunted, it's OTC so it's shared by all. Too, when I hunt 20-25 days here I see no more than a dozen elk, no kidding. It's thick country so glassing is done to a minimum but you'd best now how to Locate by sound or you will be part of the 94% here that do not fill a tag every year. To be part of that 5.9% of successful hunters you'd best know your stuff & be a darned good sufferer with a don't give in attitude. Elk hunting is tough business, much of it is mental as it is physical! Good luck bud!

ElkNut1

Maybe your right and it is time to find a new area. With most roads here closed off, people are going further in...because they have to. Which is where I am to begin with...so now I see people where before you wouldn't. I just have seen a lot of change here and truthfully dont like it one bit.

Jon Boy

WKR
For the season length still seems like a bargain to me. You get 3 months to hunt with rifle and bow in hand. Idaho lets you buy two tags if remaining available as of 8/1 but you choose between weapons to maximize time afield and seasons much shorter.

This. Montana prices reflect a general tag that is good for 75% of the state for 11 weeks. Majority of other states you get less than 2 weeks and are limited to a few units or less and one weapon. Also, I'd say MT general units have higher trophy potential than most other states general units. Of course there are exceptions to this. If you only plan on coming for a 5 day hunt and want to shoot a raghorn I'd look at a different state.
I can understand the frustration many have with the higher price, but if you can make multiple trips a year its a no brainer.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm hunting just south of Libby and Troy around Noxon and seldom see anyone and if I do they are working hard to get into the spots. Agreed there are a few less elk in some pockets than when I started 15+ yrs ago but still plenty to be had in the nwest corner but it is some of the nastiest country around to hunt elk👍 Good luck this fall.

johnsd16

WKR
The total $$ amounts keep getting higher for sure, but in MT for a $1000 getting a tag for both deer and elk good for 3 months is not a bad deal. In 2018 the special tag in WY will be over $1200 for elk only and in some instances for a shirt rifle season. Also, the MT tags are still technically a draw, and three are leftovers. The LE units are a draw even with the tag. WA tags are crazy expensive too and you have to buy it to get in the draw for a bull tag to hunt the east side. If you don't draw it's a $900 cow/spike tag.

With moving to N Idaho later this year the flexibility of the MT is great. From September through November I can drive 90 min to hunt deer and elk.

Schism

WKR
If you can hunt multiple times, montana is great. If not, go to colorado.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more. MT residents often tout the 11 week season to justify the price of the tags. The fact is most nonresident hunters are only able to take advantage of a week or two, usually all in one trip. If you are able to make a couple of trips if necessary to fill a tag, Montana then becomes worth it IMO.

Hundred bucks for an elk, general deer, bear, fishing, upland and conservation... A little high but Im so blessed to live here!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
I think MT isn't bad, add up the cost of everything in CO that you get with that combo and CO is probably equal or more expensive.

To get a CO elk and deer tag it costs $1040.

Just got my sportsman's package for the year $120.....hard to beat that. I will fish over the border this year, but wont hunt there. I was just at kookanoosa last week......wow is the level low.

Hayguide

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure about all the states out west in Comparison here, but I have friends who has chosen Montana to hunt because they can hunt with a bow, if they don't fill the tag they can go back with a Rifle. I suppose that is one reason for the higher cost, the other is probably based on Volume. Colorado most likely sell twice as many tags as Montana because of the vast public land and huge numbers of elk. There doing OK in volume based sales. Through in the collection of points and dollars associated with that they are getting more that the 646.00. Colorado also has a habitat fee that they collect on. I hunt Colorado, the state is great but in my opinion the tag cost is already too much since I have way to much company in the mountains. I'm not sure if a higher cost tag would bring down the pressure, in that case I would try another state.

dotman

WKR
Another way to look at tag costs, break it out by cost per number of days allowed to hunt and CO is super expensive compared to most states.

I have looked at Montana because if I have the vacation time I can always come back if I strike out, and for rifle its any elk in most areas not a minimum of 4pts or brow tine larger than x inches. I see it as a place with more opportunity.

I must be in the minority for non residents. If i can hunt a good area for $1000-$1500 tag for elk I am fine with that. Hell it cost $500+ to hunt pigs anymore here in Texas. And if you want to have a lease and hunt whitetail your looking at $1500+ corn and other expenses. I think alot of western guys are spoiled compared to states without public land. And while it sucks to pay an extra couple of hundred dollars, at least we still get to go hunt elk for cheaper than almost anything else in the United States because of our public lands. So you ask me YES its worth it.