Is Montana worth the increased tag price?

TheCougar

WKR
Montana is now charging $868 for an elk (or $1010 for an elk/deer combo). They are the first of the major elk states to deviate significantly from the usual $500-600ish nonresident OTC/general tag (Co is $641 for any elk, $481 for antlerless/Id is about $600 for OTC elk/license). So a two part question:

1. Why the large jump in tag prices for NR? Compared to surrounding states, is the hunting that much better to warrant the increased price? We are talking a 30-40% increase in tag price here.

2. Do you foresee other states following suit with a large jump in nonresident OTC tag prices? The little guy can get pushed out of the game pretty quickly if all he wants to do is meat hunt. Granted we are taking NR here, which is an indication of some disposable income. Alaska just doubled their NR tag prices as well, for reference.

I'm a big believer in supply and demand and I would think that unless the hunting is much better in Montana, it will push more folks to states with more reasonable fees. I'm torn between supply/demand economics and my desire to not have my checkbook violated.

WY legislature just passed an increase for NR tags for next year. I'm sure someone has the specific info on what the increase is.

My New Mexico elk tag and license cost $838 for this year...

Sadly, I think these high NR prices are the future. Plenty of people out there who will apply and the state agencies are hurting (supposedly?).

wyosteve

WKR
I'm not sure about Montana, but Wyoming Game and Fish is funded by license sales, not general fund dollars. I think as long as demand outpaces supply, things won't change. Just a fyi. Wyoming non-res. tags for everything are going up next year as well. Elk is around $225 increase, deer and antelope around $125. But, Wyo. resident tags are going up also, just not so much.

I don't think the hunting is any better in MT compared to the other elk states. For me, MT is just more convenient since it's closer.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
If you are looking for an opportunity at a big bull Elk and you are an early season archer MT is a great state, IMO. Worth every dollar.

My home state of Idaho seems to be the State of choice these days for the NR hunters looking for meat opportunities. OTC tag is hard to beat for the dollars paid. NM is cheaper but you face the draw.

Idaho price seems to be holding for the time being as our Legislators keep blocking the price increase proposals by Fish & Game.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Those Wyoming tags are draw tags, right? In this case I was referring to OTC tags. I would expect draw tags to cost more. Either way, it ain't cheap!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
If you are looking for an opportunity at a big bull Elk and you are an early season archer MT is a great state, IMO. Worth every dollar.

My home state of Idaho seems to be the State of choice these days for the NR hunters looking for meat opportunities. OTC tag is hard to beat for the dollars paid. NM is cheaper but you face the draw.

Idaho price seems to be holding for the time being as our Legislators keep blocking the price increase proposals by Fish & Game.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A big bull would be great, but... I'm archery hunting and I'm a realist! I'd take 5 raghorn bulls that bugle over one silent giant. I'm out there to tag out: cow, spike, raghorn, it doesn't matter. The experience and the meat are why I hunt. Outside of draw units, I think the days of bugling elk are behind us, for the most part.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Outside of draw units, I think the days of bugling elk are behind us, for the most part.

I shot a 300+ bull in an OTC unit in 2012 that I spent 45 minutes working. We screamed back and forth at each other just about nonstop for those 45 minutes until I finally got a shot at him. The entire time we were no more than 100-125 yards apart from each other. They still like to bugle, even in OTC units.

njdoxie

WKR
1. Why the large jump in tag prices for NR? Compared to surrounding states, is the hunting that much better to warrant the increased price? We are talking a 30-40% increase in tag price here.

Simple, and this applies to all the western states..... agencies need money and the nonres hunters don't vote in that state. They can stick it to nonres hunters and there's no pushback.

Beendare

WKR
I've hunted a few states for elk looking for a lightly hunted Gen/OTC tag; MT, ID, WY, UT, OR, WA, NM, CO ....and IMO, Wyo has the least pressure. There is pressure in all of them...but a guy can always find areas in any of these states to get away from other hunters.

You just have to lace up your boots and find it.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Montana is now charging $868 for an elk (or $1010 for an elk/deer combo). They are the first of the major elk states to deviate significantly from the usual $500-600ish nonresident OTC/general tag (Co is $641 for any elk, $481 for antlerless/Id is about $600 for OTC elk/license). So a two part question:

2. Do you foresee other states following suit with a large jump in nonresident OTC tag prices? The little guy can get pushed out of the game pretty quickly if all he wants to do is meat hunt. Granted we are taking NR here, which is an indication of some disposable income. Alaska just doubled their NR tag prices as well, for reference.

I'm a big believer in supply and demand and I would think that unless the hunting is much better in Montana, it will push more folks to states with more reasonable fees. I'm torn between supply/demand economics and my desire to not have my checkbook violated.

These prices have been in effect for 7 years now(I think). They use to have x amount of guaranteed outfitter tags at 1500* and x amount of big game combos for the drawing at 750*. They decided to put them all in the drawing and ditch the guaranteed tags and put the price at 1000*. Every year since then they have had leftover NR big game combo tags. I think last year they didn't have any left over NR deer tags not sure on elk. Their Elk-B tags(antlerless) are 270*(plus some fees). I buy an elk b some years to still hunt with my family, if I'm not able to swing the big game combo.

*these prices are an estimate from memory

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the season length still seems like a bargain to me. You get 3 months to hunt with rifle and bow in hand. Idaho lets you buy two tags if remaining available as of 8/1 but you choose between weapons to maximize time afield and seasons much shorter.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
For the season length still seems like a bargain to me. You get 3 months to hunt with rifle and bow in hand. Idaho lets you buy two tags if remaining available as of 8/1 but you choose between weapons to maximize time afield and seasons much shorter.

I love being able to hunt with a bow then switch to a gun in October/November. Especially for the mule deer rut. I wish Washington would do away with the draw for the multi-season tags.

Depends where you go. I'm very familiar with North West montana. I live in north idaho. Honestly, since the wolves are in full effect.....good luck. Only time you see any critters worth your time, they are all on private property. They all hang out in the alfalfa fields because of easy meals and they aren't getting chased by wolves all day long. So, in my opinion, unless you know of private property, save your money.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed wolves can be an issue in both nidaho and nwest Montana. That being said there are still plenty of elk and deer to pursue we may just have to work a little harder at times and be more flexible in the areas we want to hunt. Those are the only areas I hunt and still have many opportunities for success off of private property.

No doubt they are still there. Problem is, you are competing with more people for less critters and covering more ground at the same time on public land these days. It sucks, just the way it is. If you can put in the time and effort you can come away with something. Imo, just not going to be a big one....because they are all munching on alfalfa in the valley.

ElkNut1

WKR
The problem is not elk will not bugle, it's hunters will not bugle to initiate a response! I live & hunt in ID every year, it's common to hear 200-300 bugles every year. Many bugles are from the same bulls but we are talking dozens of bulls over all. This is all on OTC DIY Public Land hunts. None is near or close to agriculture areas, these elk are hunted in the mountains of ID. We average 6-8 bulls every year on the ground, we are primarily bowhunters. We get out there & bust our rears finding these bulls, they are not standing next to our pickups waiting to be slain!

A perfect example of this is in WY last year. I drew a tag there & heard over 500 bugles & passed over a doz 6 point bulls during my bow hunt not to mention rags & countless cows that were passed up. I did not hear a single human bugle while there. I talked to many other hunters who had not seen a single elk & some saw a few cows but they were hearing nothing from the bulls, why? Because they did not penetrate the woods worth beans, most were hunting within a 1/2 mile from gated roads & trails. I did none of this & was in action everyday. The same applies to a lot of areas we hunt. In my opinion if you're not calling & glassing you're not elk hunting! (grin) Burn that boot leather & get to where the elk are & above all don't give up!

ElkNut1

I can't speak to how it is elsewhere, I live in central boundry county.....and I can only speak to that. I'm in the Troy/libby area alot and can speak to that with some authority. So, that being said....there are alot less animals here than there used to be IN THE WOODS. Look in the fields and you will find all you want. I hike in pretty darn far and you just don't see them. They are there...for sure. Like I said though, you are competing for fewer critters, against more folks, and going farther the whole time. That is my experience where I live, hunt and fish and work in boundry county.