First time elk hunter in CO unit 71 lizard head

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
First time heading west and doing an archery elk hunt, getting packed into Lizard Head Wilderness in unit 71 for a DIY drop camp with my own gear for a week. I am from PA, just looking for some general info on the area. One of my biggest concerns (the more old forums I dig up) is how crowded with hikers & hunters it may be in this unit. Coming from Eastern PA public land, its nothing to have 6-8 hunters cram in on a 100 acre public land stretch. So when you western hunters say crowded... How crowded is crowded to you?

FlyGuy

WKR
Hunted there last September. It took us 2-3 hours of driving around just to find an available place to set up a car-camp. We happened to pull up just as a road construction crew was finishing up repairs, had to wait 45min for the grader to pass before we could head in. We were the 1st ones down the road as soon as it was clear, which is the only reason we were able to actually find an established campsite that wasn't already occupied.

So yeah, there were a lot of folks. Probably the most beautiful part of CO though. Amazing country, but it's a steep, tough mother.

There's only one way to find out......

Last season a friend of mine shot his bull on the second day he was up there, despite the crowds, the hot weather and the lack of bugling.

KMT

WKR
Colorado is crowded. But not usually 6-8 people per 100 acres. National forest and BLM land parcels can be huge in comparison to those found in PA and MD.

BGLEMIN

FNG
At just under 42,000 acres, roughly half that is huntable and the other half is rock above 11,000 ft. You will most definitely run into other hunters and non-hunters.

Also from PA, don't worry about the crowds. It's nothing compared the the orange army we have out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkyinzer

WKR
The crowds are a complicated answer.

Yeah, hunters/acre in PA blows most other areas away....but...

Chasing around bugling bulls out West requires exponentially more ground to not "feel" crowded compared to sitting in a treestand back home. Add in the fact that elk are herd animals and one good whiff of human sends the whole herd to the nearest hellhole or private ranch, and you can see that even sharing one large drainage with some bonehead can be a major exercise in frustration.

bwlacy

WKR
Where are you going in at? Stay away from the major hiking trails that time of year. Maybe use them to get some access, then get away from them once in there. Steep, lots of timber in some areas with limited glassing, hikers, horse riders, hunters, etc. But if you get up high and off the main trails you should be ok. Bring rain gear. Last time I was there in September it rained everyday.

OP
J

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Bwlacy - Not sure where we are going in at yet. Having a packer pack a buddy and myself in. It doesn't seem like too bad of a hike to get in but it seems more cost effective to have a wrangler pick us up at airport, house us for a night and pack in/out for this first time rather than rent a vehicle and lose hunting time driving around to trail heads etc. When you say limited glassing.....is it worth having a bino/tripod set up? Thanks

ahlgringo

WKR
I probably wouldn't bother with a tripod. I always have two trekking poles strapped on my pack- use one as a monopod- works pretty well unless you are planning on bringing 15xs or spotter- which I also wouldn't recommend

Jimbo V

WKR
I think in comparison to PA it won't be that bad, especially during archery season. I haven't hunted there specifically but i have hunted areas where there are trucks at every parking area, I get the initial crowd anxiety and then I just remind myself to get in a little ways and off the beaten path. Like others have said there's a lot of space when hunting western states even OTC units you just have to be willing to make the effort. I guess my point is l, don't sweat the crowd issue, is there a chance that someone might be in "your spot" you had picked out? Sure, so just prepared and have backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njdoxie

WKR
you can see that even sharing one large drainage with some bonehead can be a major exercise in frustration.
Heck, doesn't even take a bonehead, wind shifts when you're stalking and the whole lot of them cross over into the next drainage. I've blown out my share trying to get close with a good breeze that reverses.

bwlacy

WKR
Bwlacy - Not sure where we are going in at yet. Having a packer pack a buddy and myself in. It doesn't seem like too bad of a hike to get in but it seems more cost effective to have a wrangler pick us up at airport, house us for a night and pack in/out for this first time rather than rent a vehicle and lose hunting time driving around to trail heads etc. When you say limited glassing.....is it worth having a bino/tripod set up? Thanks

We didn't bring a spotter or tripod, but we packed ourselves in. If your just looking for elk, and not a certain size, then I wouldn't bother with a spotter or tripod. Use a trekking pole, or something, your pack. Some areas are open a little, some parks to glass, really depends on what part of the wilderness you are in. Use google earth to check the area out. I'd try and find out now where you are getting packed into so that you could start scouting some on the internet. What time of the season are you going?

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
Get in shape,be mobile so you can move. Have a plan A,B,C. When i was in there a couple years ago I ran into people where I thought I would not, and saw nobody where I thought I would.

Tjwjr89

FNG
I'm also from Pa, in Potter county. I hunted lizard head 2 years ago for my first elk trip. Tried Idaho last year, going back to lizard head this year. I'm leaving Pa Aug 31 then heading back Sept 11 so I'll be out there the same days as you. Right now it looks like I'll be hunting solo this year. IMO there is no need to get packed in there. You are going to see people no matter where you go there. The farther you go in the closer you get to people coming in from other trailheads. Plus there are sheep herders that camp above treeline. I'll be starting in from the Navajo lake trail head then breaking off a ways to camp.

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Crowds are always hard to judge. Some years it's as though we're all to ourselves, and others it seems like 1-2 more people in an area can blow everything out. I'd say go for it - this could be the year everyone and their uncle shows up, or it could also be the year nobody shows up!