E-Scouting For Elk

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Sorry it has taken us a while to get this series up on YouTube. It has been a lot of thinking, whiteboarding, and brainstorming about how what to include and how to present it. Even with all the time we have invested in it, I still think we could do better. But, I could still be working on it a year from now and be of the belief it could be better.

So, here is the first of four episodes on E-scouting. This is the overview of how I start and the tools I use. The following segments will be picking your Top Ten spots for the five day hunt. Then, a series of how to find the "Spot on the Spot" that will help you decide where in those spots to focus for finding animals. Following that will be the day-to-day plan of how to execute the strategy. We are considering a fifth episode about "Opening Day versus the rest of your hunt" that explains how the deck gets shuffled once the shooting starts. And we have a lot of other ideas that were considered, but got dropped due to how long the series could have grown.

I picked this hunting unit due to how difficult it is to draw and that I have hunted it twice. I suspect I will cause a stir when people see us mapping out a specific unit, even if it is extremely hard to draw. But, not sure how else to do it with the validity and context that I felt was needed.

Many of our past videos have focused on drawing tags. This series now switches our focus to what we do once we have drawn the tag and have five days to go to a unit we likely have never hunted.

I hope this is what people were looking for when they asked us to do videos on E-scouting. None of this is the gospel. I hope the comments give me some ideas that will help me refine who I go about this process.

[video=youtube_share;h0Z_NClt88Q]https://youtu.be/h0Z_NClt88Q[/video]

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
This is Part 2 of the E-scouting series. Two more segments to be released after this.

[video=youtube_share;pYIxAUUK5K8]https://youtu.be/pYIxAUUK5K8[/video]

OP
R

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Part 3 is at this video link.

[video=youtube_share;KepIfuoWtxY]https://youtu.be/KepIfuoWtxY[/video]

UtahJimmy

WKR
Well put Randy, thank you sir! Looking forward to the rest of the series!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks a ton man! Now I have something to watch tonight while my girl is away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Really great explanation of your thought process, you could transpose your planning methodology to anywhere in the world, thanks for putting those together.

Thanks for giving us eastern flatlanders a fighting chance. Definitely hard to scout preseason from 1100 miles away.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk