Notch Cabin Montana

I have question about The Notch Cabin in Montana. I purchased a bunch of maps from the Forest Service for an upcoming elk hunt. These maps cover almost all of the Beaverhead Deerlodge National Forest. Anyways, the cabin in question is clearly marked inside a restricted area on the map. Per the NFS the last mile of road leading to the cabin is closed to motorized vehicles yearlong. So my question is, are there exceptions to the road closures? And will the cabin be a hotspot for other hunters I'll need to avoid?

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rvanbw00

FNG
I have question about The Notch Cabin in Montana. I purchased a bunch of maps from the Forest Service for an upcoming elk hunt. These maps cover almost all of the Beaverhead Deerlodge National Forest. Anyways, the cabin in question is clearly marked inside a restricted area on the map. Per the NFS the last mile of road leading to the cabin is closed to motorized vehicles yearlong. So my question is, are there exceptions to the road closures? And will the cabin be a hotspot for other hunters I'll need to avoid?

Thanks

Can you send me a pm?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

WKR
Aww man, I want to know too! My general neck of the woods.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3forks

WKR
ive spent quite a bit of time in that area and can say it's crowded during the rifle season.

mtmuley

WKR
If you post about it on internet hunting sites and ask if it is a "hotspot", then it no longer is. NOTHING has ruined great hunting aeas more than the web. mtmuley

OP
maninthemaze
ive spent quite a bit of time in that area and can say it's crowded during the rifle season.
Ok thanks. I guess we'll look elsewhere. And as far as NFS maps saying an area is closed for motorized travel, I guess I'll take that with a grain of salt as well.

I'll just call the Forest Service Monday and ask them about road/area closures as they are marked on the maps.

Thanks

OP
maninthemaze
If you post about it on internet hunting sites and ask if it is a "hotspot", then it no longer is. NOTHING has ruined great hunting aeas more than the web. mtmuley
I guess I shouldn't have said hotspot. I should have used the word crowded instead.

530Chukar

WKR
I staying in one of the cabins on the Absaroka Beartooth this past season. There was one that was closed to motorized vehicles as well that you had to walk into. The USFS reservation website clearly described this so you couldn't miss it prior to booking. Overall we had a great experience with the cabin. I wish there were more of them around.

OP
maninthemaze
Well I called the Forest Service today and asked about the roads and road closures marked on the map. The teenage girl that answered the phone didn't know anything about the maps or their markings. She also didn't offer to transfer me to someone who could answer my questions. She simply kept repeating "gee I don't know, that's a good question". Oh well

I did circle all the camping areas and cabins in the maps. And there were quite a few. I'm think about looking into a few other hunting areas. Sure wish I could get a summer scouting trip.