"Accepting the Challenge of Western Hunting," By Rokslide Member Justin Smith

Sovapatriot, thank you for the review.

Time in the wilderness is key to harvest in most cases. Be prepared mentally and physically, and you will have a wonderful time. When I hunt, I put everything I have into filling my tag; but in the event it does not happen I leave with knowledge to carry back the next year. Your experience hunting the southeast for deer and bear will pay dividends in the high country, because you have spent time honing your skills. No fear!

PinFloat

FNG
I'd like to read this article but its redirecting me to a lathrop & sons thread. Am I missing something? Or does anyone have another link? I made my first trip out west last year for archery elk. I'd love to compare notes with this article!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I'd like to read this article but its redirecting me to a lathrop & sons thread. Am I missing something? Or does anyone have another link? I made my first trip out west last year for archery elk. I'd love to compare notes with this article!

I assume you are using Tapatalk? Tapatalk has been screwing up a lot of Rokslide links lately. Try it on the full website.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PinFloat

FNG
I assume you are using Tapatalk? Tapatalk has been screwing up a lot of Rokslide links lately. Try it on the full website.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That must have been the problem. Thanks!

Great read. My approach was a little more drastic. After visiting CO a couple of times and falling in love, I sold my crap, sold my house, quit my job, and just moved out here. Starting over is tough but I knew that a once a year, week long trip wouldn't be enough for me. It was a tough decision, but I'm so thankful to be out here. Can't wait for elk season!

You've got balls of steel! I applaud you for that.

ocurtis

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome Article. I grew up in Colorado, currently in California, and trying to move to Idaho so I am a western man, but still a lot I can take from this, since I am traveling from California to Colorado/Utah/Idaho to hunt.

thanks for the read!

Cstrker

FNG
This Article helped me a lot as I was also on the fence about Elk hunting. but the more I read articles like this, and the more I talked to seasonal hunters, I finally made the decision to go for it in Eastern Washington!

This Article helped me a lot as I was also on the fence about Elk hunting. but the more I read articles like this, and the more I talked to seasonal hunters, I finally made the decision to go for it in Eastern Washington!

This is great to hear Cstrker! I wish you success on many future hunts.

"Accepting the Challenge of Western Hunting," By Rokslide Member Justin Smith

attachment.php

Hey Roksliders,

had the pleasure of meeting Justin last fall when he came out hunt elk with our operation. Justin is from West Tennessee and is a fair jaunt from good elk hunting, yet he's pulled of several successful hunts.

He's also killed over a 100 Whitetails! That woods savvy has certainly given him a leg up out here. I suggested that he share how he prepares to hunt out West for the best self-guided and OTC opportunities and all the logistics a hunter living a 1,000 or more miles from elk country needs to think about.

So please, welcome Justin and give his article a read. It's big, but well worth your time if you're ever planning a hunt out West.

Accepting the Challenge of Western Hunting

attachment.php
Great read!

Trider73

FNG
Washington has always been a place I would like to hunt Elk, but I always end up focusing on Colorado and Wyoming. Good luck!

Trider73

FNG
Awesome Article! I plan to hunt Colorado this year, and my drive will be 34 hours so I really appreciated the part about traveling!