New Mexico unit 36

JP20

Lil-Rokslider
Well somehow my dad and I drew unit 36 muzzy tags for October 7-11. Only looked at that unit thru google earth and on maps, was curious if anyone on here has actually been in the unit on foot or hunted there? Just trying to gather info at this time and hoping to make a scouting trip in late August. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Real nice unit. Hard as crap to draw with big bull potential. I'm not going to say it's easy terrain, but I will say that it's a place that a lot of us Texans went to for our first "mountain" experience as kids to get used to being out there without it being too taxing.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Well somehow my dad and I drew unit 36 muzzy tags for October 7-11. Only looked at that unit thru google earth and on maps, was curious if anyone on here has actually been in the unit on foot or hunted there? Just trying to gather info at this time and hoping to make a scouting trip in late August. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks

This was filmed the week following the muzzy season. I've been on hunts there the last two seasons. Lots of elk. Bust your hump for a great one.

[video=youtube_share;yGE72mUKprs]https://youtu.be/yGE72mUKprs?list=PLLdxutimd-JvGyjPUXmifah2FGEHeHwJv[/video]

Good luck. It is a ton of fun.

I also drew JP. 1st rifle. I'll let you know anything I find out on my reconnaissance missions. Hoping to glean any info here as well. Great video Randy. Congrats

Dapper

FNG
Great video Randy. My son and I drew this unit for mule deer this coming archery season. This will be our first mule deer hunt, first time in the unit and have started to study maps of the wilderness. We knew it was steep, but its interesting to see some of the actual area in an actual video. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Fitzwho

WKR
I hunted a private ranch for cow elk in December. Saw more Bulls than cows... And quite a few very good Bulls up on the national forest. There aren't many access points from the west side of the unit. The Bulls I saw on the NF, were in clearings at the very tops of some very rough looking stuff, some of which my buddy said he wouldn't even take his mules up there. So hit the stairmaster. I'll be just north of you in 37 chasing elk during October.

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted unit 36 muzzleloader about 15 yrs ago with Elite Outfitters. It was one of the better elk hunts I've been on. We hunted up near the top of the mountain and the terrain was incredibly steep/tough. Get in shape if you're heading up there!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Good unit, lots of elk. Quality has started to suffer in recent years. Too many private ranch only tags that kill the bulls all winter long.

Good unit, lots of elk. Quality has started to suffer in recent years. Too many private ranch only tags that kill the bulls all winter long.

Do you have any experience in the unit. I've heard alot about 300-330 bulls running around. What's the chances of taking something bigger. I've got five days and will be in there daylight to dark. There has to be some real big boys in there.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. If I saw a 330" bull on the first day I would shoot it, especially coming from out of state. Raghorns to 300" would be average for what is killed in that unit. There are a few big boys killed every year, but not many.

chops24

WKR
They're talking in 10, 13, 15, 16s. I was just in 13 and the small bulls are coming to calls but most aren't herded up yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
I was in 37 Friday night and most of the day Saturday. I didn't hear anything other than a few cows talking Saturday morning, and maybe a bull raking for a minute, and the archery Mule deer guys I talked to didn't mention anything about the elk talking yet, though stupid me didn't even think to ask. They had all seen Elk though.