Elk near Vegas?

FlyGuy

WKR
Visiting my sister in Vegas. Brother-in-Law doesn't hunt, but my 6 year old nephew is completely enamored by my elk hunting stories. I am just looking to keep him interested in the sport. Anyone know if there are any areas nearby where elk sightings are common? No secret spots, just seeing if there are any well known places within a few hours that I could take him to, or that his parents can later this summer. PM me if necessary.

Thinking of taking him on a "shed hunt" this afternoon. Not important that we find anything, just want to get his imagination going. His dad is going to start applying for him once he's old enough, and once he draws I'll be back to hunt with him.

Gr8bawana

WKR
Fireguy is correct that Cold Creek is the place to go.
Perfect timing too since NV recently started regulating shed hunting. April 16th is the first legal day for shed hunting.

Last edited:

stratofisher

Lil-Rokslider
Take the trail up out of Mt Charleston like you are climbing the mountain. On the backside are nice meadows that I have seen elk in a few times while climbing mt Charleston.

4rcgoat

WKR
This is what i love about the hunting community, hunters helping hunters.....and non hunters!

GeoHunter

FNG
While the wildlife board recommended making April 16th the first legal day, it didn't pass the legislature. I actually called NDOW about this last year to find out for sure. Personally, I wouldn't mind it, and the other recommendation of requiring a valid hunting license, but as of now, neither of these are law in NV.