Idaho Wilderness Areas GMU 36A

cfdjay

WKR
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is your first aid/EMS abilities. I see you're military so I'm assuming you have some training in combat first aid. Research your first aid kit needs and what makes sense for you guys i.e. underlying medical conditions and any possibilities associated. I don't know anything about the are you're going but I do know when you're in the backcountry help is a long way away. Good luck.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
I'm actually kind of excited at the prospect of hearing some wolves! Although I'd be okay with not hearing or seeing any as well :)

You will probably will prefer the later.... I heard them a bit more than I would like and so did the Elk. Made some of my stalks and plans a little more interesting, to say the least.

The positive is that the elk stayed in the general area.

The wolf I got on camera was trailing two small bull moose. Talked to a local guy and he mentioned the wolves are very hard on the moose that get caught down in the valleys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griff536

FNG
Looking to go to this unit in Late November for a cow elk hunt. Does anyone know when the elk start migrating towards their wintering ground? Thanks!

Look at my thread on this from last summer. The cows in 36a head to private along the East Fork pretty fast and early--it's a hard hunt. Not a no-go but something to be prepared for. I'd look at other hunts around there 36b, 37, 48, 50. PM me with your plans and ideas and I'll tell you where I think is best based on my research/experience and maybe we can trade info.

Oh, and the bio and others have told me that those landowners don't allow access/hunting.

Last edited:

Idaboy

WKR
palerider- thank you for the welcome!
JustHunt- I do hope to return to the same unit for at least several years in a row to gain experience hunting, thanks for the advice and for being optimistic.
Calbuck- Thanks for the reminder on break down, meat care, packing out.

I appreciate all of your comments. I am new to hunting however I do have experience backpacking, camping, hiking etc... so I am pretty confident in those aspects of the hunt and I'm in pretty good physical shape. I've simply never attempted to harvest an animal and have no experience in Idaho. I do know the feeling of underestimating based on Google Maps and will not make that mistake again! I'm mostly concerned with the altitude which I have not experienced in quite sometime. Some of you expressed aspects unique to hunting such as breaking down an animal, packing it out, etc.. I am worried about this as well (if I'm successful) but have done all I can save for actually doing it (watched videos, read books, studied the steps, etc..) In summary it's just the hunting specific aspects of the trip I'm concerned with.
Recap?

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
36A is not the only unit that would meet your needs but as stated above, very rough. Since your dad is older (veteran) why not try an area where access and terrain is a little more favorable? Im not going to make any suggestions right here but you can PM me. All the best