Easy Elk Call

Aubs8

FNG
Hi guys. I'm looking for the easiest elk call to use that will stop a walking bull at long range for a rifle shot. Which call would you recommend?
Thanks.
Mike

First, define long range... Ryan can correct me here, but for ranges exceeding 400-500 yards I don't think you'd want to use a call to stop an elk but would instead want to learn behavior to know when they are not going to be moving. For ranges under that diaphragm calls are best as they can be used while on the rifle, but they are not easy to use. The easiest call to use is the Phelps E-Z Estrus. The easiest call to use while aiming is just your voice, but I would be hesitant to use this beyond 200-300 yards as it also puts them on alert because it's not very representative of what a cow sounds like but is enough to get an elk to stop. A Hoochie Mama may be good enough to get a bull to stop, but in a lot of OTC areas hoochies are overused and can cause different reactions.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
LOL, I have had bulls not stop to a good cow call at 20 yards. I don't think you can count on a call to stop an elk every time. They flat out ignore you sometimes.

OP
A

Aubs8

FNG
:) I was thinking between 300-400 yards... that is "long range" for me :) It would be mid-November so not during the rut.
Thanks.

ElkNut1

WKR
I'd consider using a Bugle & mouth reed for giving the Nervous Grunt! It will stop a walking elk in most cases even at longer distances as long as they can hear it. This sound asks for a visual or identification of other elk, in other words it asks for an "action" -- Cow calls do not! Of course you would want to give it when the angle is right & you have a clear shot because the nervous grunt will generally anchor them in their tracks. The Bugle & mouth reed will give you the longer range to be heard that you're looking for! Practice at home to master this sound so you are up to the task the second it's needed!

Here's a short clip on the Nervous Grunt!
ElkNut How To: Make Elk Nervous Grunt Call / Sound! - YouTube

ElkNut1

Last edited:
Nervous grunt huh?? Thanks for the illustration Paul as I've heard people use this term before and didn't really understand what they were saying. Around these parts its known simply as a bark. And in my experience when the elk make that sound its about to go bad, but like you said if a person uses it I've never seen it fail.

ElkNut1

WKR
You bet! Yes, it's similar to a bark but the nervous grunt is not used repeatedly like most warning barks would be as elk put distance between you & them. It's common for elk to use this grunt & stay right there looking for the elk they heard or feel is there. This sound is heard when a hunter has called elk to a certain distance & the elk gets to a spot they feel they should be seeing this elk, when they do not it's common for this elk to ask the elk they heard to show themselves.

In the case of the thread starter he is not trying to call elk his way with this grunt, he's trying to stop a bull for the shot, this is the perfect sound! We've taken several dozen bulls over the years where this grunt was the last sound they heard, all on public land OTC elk hunts! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1

You bet! Yes, it's similar to a bark but the nervous grunt is not used repeatedly like most warning barks would be as elk put distance between you & them. It's common for elk to use this grunt & stay right there looking for the elk they heard or feel is there. This sound is heard when a hunter has called elk to a certain distance & the elk gets to a spot they feel they should be seeing this elk, when they do not it's common for this elk to ask the elk they heard to show themselves.

Paul,

Born and Raised just put out a video with a bull doing several of these running around looking for a response.

OREGON BACKCOUNTRY ARCHERY ELK HUNT - YouTube

ElkNut1

WKR
COlineman78, yes sir, that's it! Notice how the bull was giving the grunt one at a time. I'm sure I've seen this myself a few 100 times over the years! (grin) That Nervous Grunt is a deadly sound used at the right time! Thanks!

ElkNut1

user-offline.png