To Call or Not to Call??

One thing I have noticed over the years of Studying elk hunting is there seems to be two groups of elk hunters.

All of the really good elk hunters I know Personally pretty much say if you can get in and kill a bull silent with no calling that is your best bet on killing a BIG BULL.

Then on the Other side are the callers. From the outside looking in they seem to be killing tons of 300" and smaller Bulls with the occasional giant.

I realize there are times for both scenarios. But I cant help but think as I plan for my New Mexico hunt this year if I want to go in and try to call bulls in, Or if i just want to be silent and try to sneak in and kill one. The second season is setting up perfect for calling it looks like. Just curious every ones thoughts on this. These are the type of things I have to think about being a Green Elk hunter LOL.

JLH208

WKR
You will find that there are times for both strategies. If I think I can sneak on a bull I will. If not I'll try to call him to a place I can sneak or hope to call him all the way to me. More times than not I call to locate and sneak in as close as possible, call from there to bring him into a shot opportunity. Be open minded. Try ridiculous things. I'd rather blow an opportunity trying than waste an opportunity sitting back wondering.

- Jesse

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I couldn't call, I probably wouldn't be elk hunting.......and probably why I'm an elk hunter and not a deer hunter. I've had many BIG bulls within 50 yards from calling, but there's a time and a place for everything. The closer you get to mature bulls, the more realistic you better sound......both in quality, and what you're actually throwing out. It also totally depends whether he's cowed up yet or solo. I approach both differently.

The biggest bull I've ever seen while hunting came storming in to 10 yards, and stopped right in the one place I had no chance of a shot.

Not being able to call elk is like wondering around with a shogun trying to kick up turkeys like pheasants... first it's boring second success rate of an encounter just fell of the map. I haven't hunted elk with a rifle in 15 years, because most places I hunt only offer Archery pre rut /rut tags

I can tell you that NM is a very vocal elk herd in general compared to a lot of states. Less pressure and less predation.

Thats amazing!! I must be on some kind of black list.. i cant draw anything in any state

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
Jtelarkin08
Thats amazing!! I must be on some kind of black list.. i cant draw anything in any state

I put in the guide draw so doubled my odds. I think my odds were 17% or something

Your luck is startin out in the right direction. Congrats and best of luck to ya