Idaho sawtooth archery

CRHUNTITALL

Lil-Rokslider
Got my hands on a sawtooth archery elk tag. Looking to get some area knowledge. Don't need honeyholes just looking forward helpful information.
Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
you gotta put your own skin in the game before you start asking for info. Just having the tag isn't enough. Did you buy the tag without researching the area first?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Why should anyone give you any advice? I recommend hiring a guide if you're just going to buy the tag and try to get others lead you to the animals. Suddenly that $600 tag just went to $6,600...

Really though - what specifically are you asking about? What have you done so far? Why did you buy the tag?

Joe

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Better get in the best shape of your life. Straight up and down, good elk but you'll work hard to find them. Good luck

OP
C

CRHUNTITALL

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the comments both the haters and positive comments. I am doing all the research I can from California at this point. If I lived closer I would have boots on the ground. Like I said originally not looking for any secret insider info just any friendly help you want to share. Thanks 😳

OP
C

CRHUNTITALL

Lil-Rokslider
Tried getting tag along with two buddies one that lives in ID. They sold out in less than a minute online. I was the only one of us three that ended up with one. I honestly was hoping that if there was an area that was not worth scouting or loaded with hunters it would get passed on. I'm not afraid to put the miles on and tough terrain is not going to run me off.

Lowe43

FNG
I've never been there I was in the Selway few years ago never saw a living thing not even other hunters. Buy this year I'll be just east of you in salmon zone I'll let you know how I do good luck. With your hunt

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
In my opinion the sawtooth elk hunt is extremely overrated. There's a fairly good population of elk in there but bull quality is low. Most herd bulls won't hit 300 inches and they end up in isolated pockets that are tough to find. Most tags in that unit get filled with spikes and little rag horns. I firmly believe that if this unit was 2 hours farther from boise it wouldn't sell half of the tags. If I was driving up from California I'd be looking for a unit who's main attribute wasn't proximity to the biggest city. You can return the tag and go on a different hunt with your friends.

Lowe43

FNG
That is true you could turn you tag in for a OTC unit where your friends could join you look at the Frank church or macaw area we are going to the salmo. Mainly because friend has family in challis

I've hunted the Sawtooth Zone for years. It is a decent unit but it is also a very tough place to hunt. Steep terrain with thick brush and if you don't know how or where the travel corridors are, then you may spend your whole time running around and not even seeing an elk. You'll hear people say that they see tons of elk up near Stanley when they are camping or hiking the trails. This is true. However, come September this is where a good portion of the tag holders are hunting. If you are set on hunting the Sawtooth Zone then I recommend contacting Deadwood Outfitters about a drop camp or using them as a guide to make the most of your time. Good Luck!

nphunter

WKR
I would turn the tag in and hunt somewhere else with your buddies. Idaho offers a lot of great OTC hunting, some units don't have tag quotas, some don't sell out. I wouldn't want to hunt out of state on a draw or very limited hunt personally, if there was even a small chance i couldn't hunt every year i wouldn't be interested in learning it. For people who have been historically hunting in there it makes since but why not learn a unit you and your buddies can enjoy year after year? Elk hunting will be very tough and could be pretty dangerous for a beginner IMO, especially if you have to pack out an animal. Not saying a lot of people don't do it alone, I even elk hunt alone often, I grew up in the woods and have been packing animals out for 25 years. I realize not all of Cali, is desert and city but it isn't the Sawtooths either and there is no cell service in most of Idahos back country.

If you end up going on this hunt be prepared for everything to be twice as rugged and twice as big as you can imagine by looking at Google earth, there isn't a small mountain in Idaho so just because the area doesn't look nearly as steep and rugged as a neighboring area it could still be a gnarly hike and even worse pack out.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on killing my sawtooth bull 200 yds from one of the main roads...that's the plan at least.

I have hunted the Sawtooth the last three seasons (however it is the rifle season). I have pulled a bull out each of the three years. If I can get an archery tag this year I will be hunting the same unit again. I have rarely gone a day of hunting in the Sawtooth without getting into elk. The key is to get away from the roads 3-5 miles+ if you can find an area. It is steep, coming from California you will need to be in extremely good shape, while the altitude is not going to kill you, the steepness might. Get on the stair stepper and stay on it. You are looking at a minimum of 1,200 foot climb from the valleys/canyons to the ridges where you want to hunt from. If you head to the Eastern part of the unit towards Stanley it is a little less steep, but still painful.

CRHUNTITALL;699942If I lived closer I would have boots on the ground.[/QUOTE said:
sounds like a poor excuse to me(and that is the reason you don't want it bad enough and wont get any info)... I'm stationed in central cali and go to Idaho 8-12 times a year to hunt, scout, ski, and see my family.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure it is even possible but if you want to turn in the tag i will buy it and give you an extra 100 on top over asking if IDFG allows it.... I am on the IDFG waiting list for this tag, I set my alarm to buy this tag and missed it. I wanted to hunt a certain part of the zone where I was chasing big bucks last year. However here is the issue I like to elk and deer at the same time during archery.

If i do not get the tag I will go to my regular spots which are a zone over but it was absolutely crushed last year with OTC out of state activity and my outlook this year is pretty grim based on what happened to it last year. Piece of advice is this you do not have to break your neck getting away from the road some of the best stuff are in little pockets off the highway. Try places where you have to cross a river and there is no road access. Also shooting big animals miles back can turn a elk trip into a 3 day pack out nightmare. I wonder if any of the other key board warriors on this sight agree with me when I say they need to cut the OTC rifle tags down and give out more archery permits. Anyways do not let the haters turn you off. Be ware Idahoans are not always the warmest to Californians even if you are a hunter so that could be where the animosity comes from. I am from there and live down here now but they have the stereotype in their minds. Best of luck if you want to get rid of the tag let me know.