Colorado 3rd Rifle

bcopley1116

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a hunt in unit 52 or 521 near Mt. Hatten and Crater peak. Does anyone have any on the ground experience in this area? Not asking for places to hunt or anything like that, just would like to know general info about the unit. I have maps of the units and I have spoke with a couple rangers in those units also, but any first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
My backyard. Its a great area. You are going to see a lot of other hunters but most stick to the roads on their ATVs as its very brushy country and hard to move off trail. So plan to get off the road a half mile or so and having to put some effort into doing so. If there is anyway you can get out here in August and move through the country on a scouting trip it would definitely help your hunt. Camps get set up early in Sept but there is plenty of room to camp. An ATV would be helpful as alot of the secondary dirt road are very rough and narrow and hard to get a truck up especially if it wet. but ultimately you are going to have to get off your vehicle and head into the bush on game/cow trails. Its a beautiful area. Good luck to you.